Oct 20, 2012, 07:15 PM
Sponsored by Team Me
Thread OP
Discussion

Vintage Heli Thread:

Over the past year or two I took interest in doing a few restorations of some 1980's RC cars. Restorations is not a new idea but curious, anyone out there preserving their old helis?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2012, 07:22 PM
Unregistered User
nightflyyer does
Vintage Hirobo Gas Helicopter Restored and Flown by NightFlyyer. (9 min 49 sec)

lol hes using a dx6i... haha
Oct 20, 2012, 07:37 PM
Sponsored by Team Me
Thread OP
Nice, I guess vintage is about time and perspective, when I started helis when the Ark X400 and Trex CDE / HDE were king of the 325mm and the Hornet was still ruler of the Micro helis.
Oct 20, 2012, 09:49 PM
Closed Account
Dave Herbert / nightflyer is probably my favorite video poster. The first video of his that I saw was of an old vintage mechanical gyro and at the begining of that video it says 30 years ago he worked at kraft rc systems.

When I started flying planks this was the gyro heli guys were using.

From what I've seen vintage helis aren't really a collectable or in demand. Kinda a shame.

R/C Gyroscopes for Helicopters (Revision 1) How they work. (6 min 21 sec)
Jan 28, 2014, 04:00 AM
Sponsored by Team Me
Thread OP
No action on this thread but I'm starting to have some ideas of where this could go, I'm thinking of putting together a catalog and or history of sorts.
Jan 28, 2014, 06:42 AM
Scotland
I have loads of older electric flybarred helis. Theyre all flyable, but not vintage RC in the sense-YET.
Jan 28, 2014, 09:04 AM
I think the oldest model I have was from mid 2007, hardly vintage.

It's difficult obtaining spares for that so is limited to a shelf Queen.
Jan 28, 2014, 09:17 AM
Cá bhfuil Micheál?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcminiman
I have loads of older electric flybarred helis. Theyre all flyable, but not vintage RC in the sense-YET.
I must buy another protos kit, budget allowing before the flybar kits all go bubyes.
Jan 28, 2014, 10:11 AM
Cranky old fart
I'm always interested in learning about old helis; the mechanics, how they flew, what happened to them, etc. But, I don't have anything very old anymore.
Jan 28, 2014, 10:22 AM
Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14
I'm always interested in learning about old helis; the mechanics, how they flew, what happened to them, etc. But, I don't have anything very old anymore.
You sold them all whilst they were all considered old-fashioned rubbish!

Im debating selling mine, but they aint harming anyone on the shelf, and they do get flown occasionally. The first few seconds of flight when you realise that a hiller flybar is mushy as hell is fun!!

I was looking at how the old mechanical mixers worked. Very clever indeed!
Jan 28, 2014, 10:25 AM
Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by spykez
I must buy another protos kit, budget allowing before the flybar kits all go bubyes.
It wont be long surely, now that 3 axis gyros are so cheap. Even 6 axis is putting an end to the weighted 45 degree flybar.

Im still seeing loads of clone 450 kits from China come with the flybar heads still. Im planning one myself shortly for a scale build, but will be feeding it a CopterX gyro and head.
Jan 28, 2014, 10:50 AM
Cranky old fart
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcminiman
You sold them all whilst they were all considered old-fashioned rubbish!
I wish I sold them all! I actually gave away about $2000 worth of obsolete helis, because I didn't feel right about trying to sell them. I had 38 helis at one time. I'm down to 3 helis and 3 quads... getting out of the hobby.
Jan 28, 2014, 01:52 PM
Rocket Programmer
I have some vintage helis - a few projects are still in front of these, but they should fly good when I get around to it. These are GMP helis from the 1980s...

Helis I Scored At The Fun Fly (plus found plane) (14 min 16 sec)
Jan 28, 2014, 07:41 PM
Sponsored by Team Me
Thread OP
Ha, more than a echo , glad to see a conversation sparked. I must admit my collecting for now is only going back a generation to the start of electrics. But this is always how it starts and the next thing you know your waist deep.

I appreciate the contributions to the thread
Jan 28, 2014, 07:43 PM
Rocket Programmer
I have an old Shogun electric heli. I've only tried to fly it once and it didn't have enough power to get off the ground, but I think it's working right. I'll try it again one of these days maybe. Finless Bob says it should fly pretty well but I'm not sure.

Quick Reply