Thread Tools
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:30 AM
flydown is offline
Find More Posts by flydown
Registered User
flydown's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepflyr View Post
[/COLOR]



Personally, I really don't want 2 planes that fly the same, anyway. I like variety. Every plane in my hangar is unique, so I can fly according to my mood or weather conditions or field choices (inside - outside, big - small field, aerobatic - pattern, 3D - sailplane soaring, civie - warbird, parkflyr - micro, etc.). It's ALL great!

Tom
+1 on what you said. I feel exactly the same way about my planes.
If you click on my avatar (dog) I list my planes and the reasons for purchasing them.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:29 PM
Puddytatter is offline
Find More Posts by Puddytatter
Registered User
I've been reading this forum, trying to decide whether or not to get one of these. It sounds like most people, like myself, are looking for something that is super-slow and easier to fly in the house than a Night Vapor. There have been some positive reports from several people who say it is definitely easier to fly in tight spaces.

Many of these people are also saying it doesn't go as slow as they hoped, but the increased maneuverablilty makes it all possible. I've seen some videos of some super-slow scratchbuilt planes that would do the job for sure. There was one post where the guy said he bought the MV just so he could use the hardware in a homebuilt plane. Does anybody know of any kits or plans or rtf planes in that category?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:52 PM
shepflyr is offline
Find More Posts by shepflyr
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydown View Post
+1 on what you said. I feel exactly the same way about my planes.
If you click on my avatar (dog) I list my planes and the reasons for purchasing them.
Flydown,
I checked out your hangar list. Quite impressive! They represent an excellent wide range of flying interests and capabilities.

So's your future additions "want list". The jets would be great additions!

You might also want to consider Parkzone's:
+ UM Mosquito - a really beautiful and fun micro twin that's very impressive in the air and the twin motors sound so cool on close flybys
+ parkflyer F4F Wildcat - would be a beautiful stablemate to your P-51...similar, but different in handling
+ Radian sailplane - one of the most relaxing flying experiences, especially if you have a good place for thermal hunting

Thanks for sharing!
Tom
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:54 PM
airpower is offline
Find More Posts by airpower
Have fun
airpower's Avatar
Why didnt horizon release this years ago!? Its perfect!
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:26 PM
turboparker is online now
Find More Posts by turboparker
I'd rather be flying!
turboparker's Avatar
Was at the LHS today to pick up a spare Carbon Cub & I got to fly one of these! Needless to say, I just had to bring one home! I've been flying circuits & figure-eights in a 10' x 16' room! This thing is an absolute blast! ROT is a new thing for me, as are 3-foot approaches & 6-inch rollouts.

I found that with the right CG, I can fly it as a throttle/rudder ship if I wish.

BTW - I tested the LVC on mine. I'm getting 3 min to LVC. It kicks in @ 66%-73% discharge (20-22 mAh required to recharge). So, it appears that my brick won't let me use 80% of the cell's capacity (24 mAh). This is the first UM brick I've tested on which LVC kicks in before the 80% discharge point. In fact, LVC doesn't kick in until 90-95% on all of the other 1s & 2s fixed-wing & rotorcraft UM bricks I've owned, which is a total of 30+. There are two possibilities: 1) The 30 mAh cell sags enough under load that LVC kicks in early. 2) HH used a more conservative LVC setting on this brick.

To those who are using hobby-grade chargers - what are you getting for discharge depths & flight-times?

Charger beeped. It's time for another living room patrol sortie.

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Nov 28, 2012 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:35 PM
airpower is offline
Find More Posts by airpower
Have fun
airpower's Avatar
Joel, happy your happy, every flight im loving this lil birdie more and more. Its probably going to end up as one of my most flown planes.
I want to experiment with obstacle sources!
It really does its job, flying just like the vapor but in a smaller place! You can do some pretty awesome tail slides with this thing to that you cant do with the big vapor.
Someone's watching tv in the living room?
No prob, ill just fly in my bedroom!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:30 AM
flydown is offline
Find More Posts by flydown
Registered User
flydown's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepflyr View Post
Flydown,
I checked out your hangar list. Quite impressive! They represent an excellent wide range of flying interests and capabilities.

So's your future additions "want list". The jets would be great additions!

You might also want to consider Parkzone's:
+ UM Mosquito - a really beautiful and fun micro twin that's very impressive in the air and the twin motors sound so cool on close flybys
+ parkflyer F4F Wildcat - would be a beautiful stablemate to your P-51...similar, but different in handling
+ Radian sailplane - one of the most relaxing flying experiences, especially if you have a good place for thermal hunting

Thanks for sharing!
Tom
Thanks for your suggestions. I may have to add a sailplane to my want list since it is completely different than anything I currently own and would fulfill another style of flying.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:22 PM
Pete P is offline
Find More Posts by Pete P
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Pete P's Avatar
Howdy, ladies and gents!

Anybody swap out the Mini-V prop for an Ember prop? I'm seeing lower power consumption, and slightly reduced thrust- But still enough for vertical. I believe motor load is reduced- Static WOT testing for a solid 2 minutes left a motor barely warm to the touch.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:54 PM
turboparker is online now
Find More Posts by turboparker
I'd rather be flying!
turboparker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete P View Post
Howdy, ladies and gents!

Anybody swap out the Mini-V prop for an Ember prop? I'm seeing lower power consumption, and slightly reduced thrust- But still enough for vertical. I believe motor load is reduced- Static WOT testing for a solid 2 minutes left a motor barely warm to the touch.
Interesting. I noticed that the prop on my MV was bent right out of the box. The blades are not a perfect 180 degrees with respect to each other, which causes a fair amount of vibration. I'll be stopping by my LHS today anyway, so I think I'll pick up an Ember prop while I'm there.

Joel
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:10 PM
makg is offline
Find More Posts by makg
ISP Supervisor
makg's Avatar
Just came back from a RCG hiatus and noticed this and the new Sbach. What's the consensus on this? It looks fun, but flying in high alpha all the time (which I have seen in the videos) to make it a LRF does not. Should I pull the trigger? We have a fairly large living area.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:27 PM
Jim_Marconnet is offline
Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Fly long and land softly
Jim_Marconnet's Avatar
I've found the Vapor and then the Night Vapor to fly high alpha very easily compared to other planes which I've flown. I'd expect the Mini Vapor to fly easily in high alpha too. Try it before you decide yay/nay for yourself.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:36 PM
Puddytatter is offline
Find More Posts by Puddytatter
Registered User
There is a good way to get the Night Vapor to fly in super-high alpha and very slow. You just let the battery hang from it's connector and that moves the cg way back and also down. I know it sounds silly, but it really works well! Has anybody tried this with a MV?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:37 PM
turboparker is online now
Find More Posts by turboparker
I'd rather be flying!
turboparker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by makg View Post
Just came back from a RCG hiatus and noticed this and the new Sbach. What's the consensus on this? It looks fun, but flying in high alpha all the time (which I have seen in the videos) to make it a LRF does not. Should I pull the trigger? We have a fairly large living area.
I think it's a blast. I can fly circuits around my living room & kitchen up on the wing, do coffee table takeoffs, spot-land on an 11' x 9' notebook, and fly high-alpha figure-eights in a 10' x 16' space. Pretty versatile little plane, I'd say. Next thing is to see if I can do a loop with it in the living room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddytatter View Post
There is a good way to get the Night Vapor to fly in super-high alpha and very slow. You just let the battery hang from it's connector and that moves the cg way back and also down. I know it sounds silly, but it really works well! Has anybody tried this with a MV?
Yup! Did it accidentally once. Had me laughing pretty good. Now I sometimes move the batt as far aft as possible just for grins & fly it around the living room like a rudder/throttle plane.

Joel
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:32 PM
makg is offline
Find More Posts by makg
ISP Supervisor
makg's Avatar
Would it be possible to remove the hideous graphics on the wing? Perhaps with alcohol or something?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:39 PM
Benf207 is offline
Find More Posts by Benf207
Registered User
I believe rubbing alcohol will take off the graphics.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted I Need a Parkzone (Vapor) DSM2 Rec/ESC/servo "Brick" *** Joe Pierson Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Mar 25, 2012 11:27 PM
Sold parkzone vapor bnf original $50.00 shipped chrisb22 Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Mar 03, 2012 02:25 PM