Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 21, 2016, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Dorais
Aigars,

There's a wonderful e-book by Malcolm Holt (https://www.amazon.ca/Futaba-14SG-Pr...s=malcolm+holt) that I believe will help you out greatly. Malcolm is also a regular contributor to this forum.

What specifically are you having issues with on your throttle setup?

Cheers,

Jean
Thank you! I will buy this book, hope it helps me more .
to remove ads between posts
Jun 21, 2016, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamSyed
Aigars,

You should fly your plane with the linear curve first and see what it does and what you don't like about it. Pretty much all gas planes and DLEs in particular don't have a linear throttle curve. They peak power around 65% of throttle range and after that there isn't much power left.

You can adjust throttle curve if you want to distribute the engine power equally throughout your throttle band or depending upon your flying style. You can do that with your throttle link geometry which basically increases your throttle resolution and you can further fine tune it using throttle curve in your radio.

I do slow 3D (mostly rolls and high alpha) and I don't want my throttle stick to go too far high while I am rolling and I don't want the throttle to jump over all its places while I need small blips of power.

Its been a while I had a look at it but I think my throttle curve for my gas planes is something like this: 0-15-35-65-75-90.
Hello,

Thank you for answer. I'm just starting to do some 3d and after my Futaba 8J need to understand new futaba 14sg. I try to make some throttle curves and see how plane flyes .
Jun 21, 2016, 04:18 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aigars
Hello,

Thank you for answer. I'm just starting to do some 3d and after my Futaba 8J need to understand new futaba 14sg. I try to make some throttle curves and see how plane flyes .
I had an 8FG before so moving to 14SG was not big but the 14SG is a lot of radio for its price. I think it should be easy for you as you are coming from a Futaba radio so the language should be the same for you.
Jun 22, 2016, 09:26 AM
Quote:
I had an 8FG before so moving to 14SG was not big but the 14SG is a lot of radio for its price. I think it should be easy for you as you are coming from a Futaba radio so the language should be the same for you.
SalamSyed, one more question. What is the problem for this. Trotlle stick starts work from middle position. How can I set that throttle starts from lower position? Where I can solve this problem?

Thank you!
Jun 22, 2016, 09:46 AM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
Quote:
SalamSyed, one more question. What is the problem for this. Trotlle stick starts work from middle position. How can I set that throttle starts from lower position? Where I can solve this problem?

Thank you!
To fix this the easy and I think proper way is to fix the centering of your throttle servo. Remove the servo horn, keep throttle stick at mid-stick and at that position put the servo horn on the servo where the servo and throttle link is at its mid point.

Once this is done, you can fine tune the low and high travel of your servo at the end points and sub-trims menus.

Make sure your servos and links don't bind at low and high stick position. That can be adjusted at end points to control how much servo travel you need.
Jun 22, 2016, 09:54 AM
Quote:
To fix this the easy and I think proper way is to fix the centering of your throttle servo. Remove the servo horn, keep throttle stick at mid-stick and at that position put the servo horn on the servo where the servo and throttle link is at its mid point.

Once this is done, you can fine tune the low and high travel of your servo at the end points and sub-trims menus.

Make sure your servos and links don't bind at low and high stick position. That can be adjusted at end points to control how much servo travel you need.
Ok, thank you! I will do like you recomend.
Jun 23, 2016, 01:48 AM

Futaba 14SG (See the updates and warnings in the first page)

Quote:
Ok, thank you! I will do like you recomend.

With a gasser you will not get a linear throttle response so set the throttle by using a curve not linear movement. The way I do it is to set the throttle to max and check rpm. Fly the model and check the stick position at cruise speed. Land and run on the ground checking the rpm at the cruise stick position then I alter the curve parameters to give me cruise rpm at mid stick. I then play around with the curve until I get a linear response with the rpm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by BigTradioman; Jun 24, 2016 at 03:09 AM.
Jul 09, 2016, 02:55 AM
Has anyone found a way to smooth out the ratchets on the side sliders?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jul 09, 2016, 09:11 AM
Yes, but it's been a few years. I vaguely recall bending the spring away from the teeth, and/or flattening out the spring metal that engages the teeth. It wasn't obvious how to do it until I had the radio open, then it quickly became obvious. Sorry my recall isn't any sharper than that.

Kelly
Jul 09, 2016, 11:00 AM
Guys, i made some programming tips video to help 14sg owners get the hang of their TX. hope this helps!
FUTABA 14SG GLIDER SAILPLANE PROGRAMMING SETUP TIPS (11 min 23 sec)
Jul 10, 2016, 07:39 AM
I have a question in regards FUNCTIONS menu. I fly multirotors for filming and finding info on setting up the SG14 for multirotors is still on the lite side, can each function be custom labeled? Currently my functions look like this,

1 AIL J1 T1
2 ELE J2 T2
3 THR J3 T3
4 RUD J4 T4
5 MODE SB I would like it to be labeled ATTi/GPS
6 AUX 6 SC I would like it to be labeled FAILSAFE
7 TILT LD
8 REC SB I would like it to be labeled POI

On other models I have RETRACTS & PAN that are labeled AUX2 AUX 3. Just would help out to have the functions labeled correctly. I know we multirotor guys get a bad rap but some of us are legit at what we do and pay close attention to where we fly, I fly away from the public. Video from a few weeks ago, make sure to open into full screen as it was shot in 4K.

Sedona The Land Of Beauty (3 min 39 sec)
Last edited by Coues; Jul 10, 2016 at 08:06 AM.
Jul 10, 2016, 01:31 PM
S.A.D. member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coues
. . .

can each function be custom labeled?

. . .
Nope. To be able to rename some of the functions you need an 18SZ or 18MZ transmitter.

Ivan
Jul 10, 2016, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc
Nope. To be able to rename some of the functions you need an 18SZ or 18MZ transmitter.

Ivan

That sucks. Futaba gives the option to name new models but not the functions of which can be done with a firmware update if Futaba were to do so... Will not hold my breath...
Jul 10, 2016, 06:32 PM
I just have to say that is some very beautiful video!
Pete
Jul 12, 2016, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coues
That sucks. Futaba gives the option to name new models but not the functions of which can be done with a firmware update if Futaba were to do so... Will not hold my breath...
Yeah it's a high-end radio but doesn't have simple features that you expect. Can you believe there's no screen that just lists what each switch is controlling?