Oct 18, 2012, 09:14 PM
Flying Monkey
Discussion

Sweptback V-Tail Design

Here are just a few photos of my new sweptback V-tail. I wanted it to look fast even if it's sitting still. What do you guys think?

Name: Picture 3.jpg
Views: 623
Size: 90.0 KB
Description: Name: Picture 2.jpg
Views: 414
Size: 73.9 KB
Description: Name: Picture 6.jpg
Views: 471
Size: 79.4 KB
Description: Name: Picture 4.jpg
Views: 602
Size: 75.8 KB
Description: Name: Picture 1.jpg
Views: 544
Size: 82.5 KB
Description: Name: Picture 5.jpg
Views: 573
Size: 81.1 KB
Description:

Some of my ideas I wanted to realize where...

Dual rear motor/prop pair should match thrust, and draw of each front rotor,

Dual rear prop pairing should be as close as possible to the same tip-to-tip span as each front props length, (rear span is 12", front props are 11" )

Center of all rotors/hubs should be equidistant from center of frame, so that the FC is at center of the rotational axis,

Fast yaw rate,

And finally, it must look menacing!

SPECS:

Flight Controller) KK2 (firmware V1.1) V-tail mix ( with reversed rudder outputs in mixer editor )

Props) 11x4.7 front, 7x3.5x3 rear

Motors) Turnigy AIR (L2215J) 900kV front, Turnigy AIR (L2210A) 1650kV rear

ESCs) HK-F20A x4 ( stock firmware )

LiPo) Nano-Tech 2200mAh 35-70C
Last edited by heli-yeah; Jan 13, 2013 at 08:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2012, 10:02 PM
we dont NEED roads!
I am planning on converting my tri-copter into a V-Tail. Can you get some close-up pics of the tail mounted to your rear arm??

Great build btw! Any plans of some video of it in flight?
Oct 19, 2012, 12:02 AM
serial scratchbuilder
Tail mounts look tig-welded to the rear boom. I want to know more of the rigs vital statistics if you please.
Oct 19, 2012, 12:06 AM
we dont NEED roads!
I dont see any weld beads. It appears as if the rear V Plate enter the center of the rear arm, and are bolted on in some way.
Oct 19, 2012, 12:38 AM
serial scratchbuilder
You're right, I was looking at the top-down shots.
Oct 19, 2012, 01:47 AM
<Marty>
im a bit curious on what settings is used for a v-tail setup on the control board? is there a setting in the firmware for v-tail or does it just use a quad-x configuration?

thanks...
Oct 19, 2012, 02:55 AM
serial scratchbuilder
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_marty
im a bit curious on what settings is used for a v-tail setup on the control board? is there a setting in the firmware for v-tail or does it just use a quad-x configuration?

thanks...
I believe Y-4 config is used.
Oct 19, 2012, 07:46 AM
Flying Monkey
@ subaru4wd

I hope to get some flight footage up soon... Here are a some pics of the tail. ( I still need to do some trimming, and add another bolt )

Name: Picture 3.jpg
Views: 503
Size: 119.4 KB
Description: Name: Picture 2.jpg
Views: 444
Size: 83.7 KB
Description: Name: Picture 1.jpg
Views: 459
Size: 83.3 KB
Description: Name: Picture 4.jpg
Views: 426
Size: 85.7 KB
Description:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granted
Tail mounts look tig-welded to the rear boom. I want to know more of the rigs vital statistics if you please.
The V-arms are bolted to the tailboom, and I still need to work it up a bit for aesthetics... The whole frame in fact needs prettying up IMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_marty

thanks...
The updated firmware for the KK2 (v1.1) has a pre-mixed V-tail option, I just had to swap the outputs to the rudder, I have added some SPECS to the first post.
Oct 20, 2012, 02:39 PM
Fly safe, fly often!
Love the craftsmanship & design - best of luck with the maiden
Oct 23, 2012, 07:18 AM
Flying Monkey
Here is some video I got of a hover session in my front yard. The neighborhood kids showed up so I had to cut it short.

The video quality is crap (sorry), but you can still get an idea of the flight, and handling characteristics of my build.

Custom Sweptback V-Tail Multi-rotor (2 min 18 sec)
Oct 23, 2012, 08:59 AM
Is it dipping when you apply yaw control? How would you compare the flight characteristics to a standard Tri copter?
Oct 23, 2012, 09:39 AM
Very cool. I've been gathering parts to do something very much like this. I was going to run 11 or 12's in the front, and dual 5's in the rear. I was calling it an asymmetric v-tail.

Looks like you beat me to it! Very cool.

edit:

Couple of thoughts... 3 blade props in the rear huh? I'm going with a 5x3 2 blade prop for the rear. Have you played with the angle of the V much? What do you think the weight split is? I was planning on weighting mine so the bulk of the weight will be on the front, larger props, and then tail would carry relatively little weight.
Last edited by Ducati777; Oct 23, 2012 at 09:46 AM.
Oct 23, 2012, 09:50 AM
Flying Monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Chester
Is it dipping when you apply yaw control?
Yes a little! I will mix it out at some point.

Quote:
How would you compare the flight characteristics to a standard Tri copter?
IDK, I have never flown a Tri-copter.
Oct 23, 2012, 10:06 AM
Flying Monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati777
Very cool. I've been gathering parts to do something very much like this. I was going to run 11 or 12's in the front, and dual 5's in the rear. I was calling it an asymmetric v-tail.

Looks like you beat me to it! Very cool.

edit:

Couple of thoughts... 3 blade props in the rear huh? I'm going with a 5x3 2 blade prop for the rear. Have you played with the angle of the V much? What do you think the weight split is? I was planning on weighting mine so the bulk of the weight will be on the front, larger props, and then tail would carry relatively little weight.
Thank you!

I will be trying some 7" 2-blade props when I can make another order to GLB.

I have tweaked the V angles slightly inward, and outward, but I think it flies/yaws well at 90*, so I will leave it as is for now...

I'm not sure about the weights, but with mindful placement of electronic, and some beefier front arms (1/2" C-channel, instead of the current 3/8"), the CG should arrive at dead center.
Oct 27, 2012, 12:27 PM
Flying Monkey
Here is another video! This one is a little better quality than the first, and shows more of what this thing is capable of. Enjoy!!!

V-Tail Tri-copter Testing (7 min 12 sec)