Oct 18, 2012, 05:07 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Thread OP
Discussion

Steam Lumber Schooner Sidney O. Neff

Speaking of lumber hookers and the Huron Brave, here is another example of the same type of boat. Sidney O. Neff worked the Great Lakes carrying 400,000 board feet at a time.
She's a cute little thing though, ocean going tugs of the day were nearly as long!

Another set from HAMMS (Historic American Merchant Marine Survey), a small set but sufficient to define a model.
This set was originally sold through Model Expo in 1995, nicely printed on heavy paper. And yes I'm letting it go (after getting a high res scan!)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=300798411109
to remove ads between posts
Oct 19, 2012, 11:02 AM
Mmm, tugs...
Thread OP
Plans are SOLD.
Oct 19, 2012, 11:34 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Looks like a nice set of drawings, Pat

BTW, Loyalhanna Dockyard has a Huron Brave hull in 1/48 scale---.
Oct 19, 2012, 02:01 PM
I'm the guilty party. The plans are going to a good home in Washington state.

DerKap- the Loyalhanna hull is just a tad smaller than I want to build. I've read the build logs on models using that hull- it comes out so nicely that that is what turned me on to lumber hookers in the first place.

It was sheer luck that allowed me to see the eBay posting last night- sometimes, timing really IS everything.

Pat, can you answer a couple of advance questions on the Sidney O. Neff? How long was the prototype and is the displacement noted on the plans?

I found a blog on Chuck Steffens' 56" hull. Has anyone ever seen a model built using it?

Thanks!
Oct 19, 2012, 02:53 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Thread OP
Should be a fun build... either with a f/g hull, or scratch built with plank on frame. From everything I've heard about Mr Steffen's work, you won't go wrong there... the rest of the build is all yours though!

See below for some of the notes... but also note that the 149' length is between perpendiculars, not overall. And the tonnage- fergettaboutit, these are the taxation tonnages, and do not represent the actual displacement, light or laden.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonnage

Pat M
Oct 19, 2012, 03:39 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Scott. Just responded to your e-mail (before I came here). As I said the Neff is a bit long for Chuck's hooker hull. At 1/2" scale you are looking at a boat of 112 feet which would have been a typical length in the hey day of lumber hookers on the Lakes. The Neff was large for the type at nearly 150'. Lake schooners of the time ran from about 90' to 120'. Many of those wound up as tow barges behind hookers and tugs. The Neff being built in 1890 after the height of the lumber boom might have been a factor in her increased size. The lumber ports in Michigan and Wisconsin were unimproved and most shallow, thus the need for a particular sized vessel. The lumber schooners were fitted with centerboards so they could get into those tight ports. If you look at the HB or the Neff and add a couple of hundred feet in the center you have a classic lake boat.
Oct 19, 2012, 04:13 PM
r/c ships and workboats
Chucks hulls are top notch as I have built on one and seen a couple of others. srcampb where you locatdin the state? This will make for a nice model that is fitting to the area.
Oct 19, 2012, 08:12 PM
All,

Thanks for all the responses!

Pat- I've scratchbuilt some other stuff so building the rest of a model off Chuck's hull wouldn't scare me too badly (something comes to mind of "famous last words"). Many Thanks for the notes- I'm really anxious for the plans to get here.

Prins- I'll start doing some web searches on the earlier, smaller lumber hookers. I'm not wedded to using Chuck's hull to build the Neff, at all- maybe I'll build Chuck's hull, and then scratch build the Neff to the same scale!

I found a picture of a model of the Huron Brave built by a gentleman named Tom Douglas, and I'm just in absolute awe of that model. I'll never equal that, but it's a fine, fine inspiration..

Keith- I'm just north of Vancouver, but I've seen some of the stuff that's built up near Seattle and further north, and I'm almost afraid of bringing anything up there- you guys are too good of boat builders!

Thanks again, all..
Oct 20, 2012, 08:19 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Patmat, the plans you posted could be used to build a dandy model just by themselves.

Loved your comments on "taxation tonnage", the Great Lakes Towing Co. used to minimize the overall length of their tugs for pretty much the same reasons.

Most of the "state" class tugs are registered with a length B.P. of 71', but the actual measured langth can vary by as much as 14' longer---.
Oct 20, 2012, 03:24 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Building a standard lake boat hull isn't as difficult as say a yacht or warship hull. They are boxy, slab sided and pretty uniform down the length. There is a direct evolution to the hull design. In the photos you will see it. Take 400' out of the middle and you pretty much have a lumber hooker. I threw in the J A W Inglehart as a comparison. It was converted from a "salty".

I have considered over the years taking two of the Hooker hulls and grafting them together to make a generic 600' lake boat.
Oct 25, 2012, 01:08 AM
Pat-

Got the plans today, they are SUPER!

Many Thanks!
Oct 25, 2012, 01:47 PM
r/c ships and workboats
srcampb , don't worry about what other have built. Come on up to the events up this way and just have fun. Best way to learn and enjoy the hobby. There are also others in the Portland area that do similar and are good people to run with. Umi is one and a top notch modeler but always willing to help others ( and has some great product for boat use).
Jul 10, 2013, 05:44 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Was over at Chuck Steffen's last Friday and we bounce around from subject to subject. While he was looking for something else to show me he hands me a rolled up photograph. It is a picture of the SS Jesse Spaulding. I offered to take it home and flatten it out enough to get a decent scan. I will give him back the photo tomorrow evening at the July club meeting. The stamp on the back says it came from the Dossin Museum (there is their photo credit). The Detroit Historical Society has a screwy website. I know the photo is in their file (have a copy in my hand) but I tried six ways to Sunday to find it in their archives, no joy. I would think there would be a good market for prints like these. A cash cow for financially strapped institutions.

The Jesse Spaulding was hull #127 of the Frank W. Wheeler & Co., West Bay City MI. Interestingly she is an Iron hull. BTW does anybody know when they switched to steel? Some of the ship breakups on the lakes were attributed to the type of iron plating being used at the turn of the century.

Hull # 127
Original Name: Jesse Spalding
Owner: Spalding Lumber Co
Type: Cargo Ship
GT: 1,043
Delivery: Jul-99
Disposition: Later Mooremack 1916, Vindal 1918, Cordova 1923, J. C. Pearson 1925, Rockwood 1935, scrapped 1963

http://shipbuildinghistory.com/histo...estbaycity.htm
Jul 10, 2013, 06:11 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Thread OP
Nice. Does Chuck do a lumber hooker hull?
Jul 10, 2013, 08:32 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Yes he does Pat. In 1/24 would build a 120 foot boat. In 1/32 would build a 158 foot boat. Chuck tells people the hull is meant to build a boat in 1/24 scale. Most of the lumber hookers I have seen photos or descriptions of were between 120 and 170. When you get up to about 200 feet your entering the realm of a full fledged laker. I'm upset with myself now. When I was at Chuck's Friday he had a LH hull on the shelf and I had my camera in hand. We got talking about another hull and I didn't get him to pull the LH out for a photo.

From wiscaleboats.com/CSHulls

Great Lakes Lumber Hooker
This hull is for a Great Lakes Lumber Hooker. These small ships hauled logs and cut lumber from the North Woods to markets throughout the Lakes. The hull form is almost identical to the larger lake boats . which handled the bulk of shipping in the region. This hull was based on the lumber hooker Jessie Spaulding. Chuck has a photo of the vessel from the Great Lakes Historical Society in Ohio. Taubman Plans Huron Brave would work on this hull

Hull size: 59 1/2"x 9 1/2"x 7" Scale: 1/24

Quick Reply