Oct 16, 2012, 07:56 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Thread OP
Discussion

Ripple current???

So.... I have never used the Castle logging, but after running up my 3DHS Velox today with a new prop, and having the wires on my "Watts Up" meter get hot this afternoon, I turned it on and tried it out.

One thing of course that you do not see when using a watts up meter is ripple current, so, I have no idea what is considered high. The highest I saw was 1.33, so....is that high? OK??? or what?
Average was .65...

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2012, 05:01 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
That's probably why people say running your motor at part throttle, (where the ripple could be worse ?), is not recommended.

Also why it's worth using an over rated ESC.

Some people have complained about having an ESC fail while programming it. Perhaps there is quite a big pulse each time the motor 'beeps'. (Just a guess).
Oct 17, 2012, 06:21 AM
Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
That's probably why people say running your motor at part throttle, (where the ripple could be worse ?), is not recommended.

Also why it's worth using an over rated ESC.

Some people have complained about having an ESC fail while programming it. Perhaps there is quite a big pulse each time the motor 'beeps'. (Just a guess).
There is a small increase in current when it beeps, I have looked at that because the beeps are seen as spikes in the RPM when you plot the eLogger data. I can put my cursor on them and measure the spikes and when I do that the setting idel current will go from like 0.18A idle to 0.24A for a fraction of an second.

The voltage does not even vary when it happens as the load change is so small.

With a Castle Link USB programmer the beeps can be disabled on the older Phoenix series ESCs, I would imagine the newer ones allow that too.

Jack
Oct 17, 2012, 05:12 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Thread OP
Actually, where I found, from looking at the graphs, that the highest ripple current is when you are accelerating, which I guess is when the "load" is highest....

But, I guess nobody has an answer for me as to what is considered "high"...

SteveT
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Oct 17, 2012, 08:06 PM
Read this. I had the same question some time ago.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1611461

Harry

Quick Reply