Oct 16, 2012, 07:32 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Spirit of St. Louis - from enlarged Flyline plans.

Have had the desire to do Spirit of St. Louis for some time. Having seen the replica in the Smithsonian last summer solidified my resolve. I bought the Flyline kit from a friend, and chose to enlarge the plans x 2, ws at 68." She'll be built light, Roughly guessing about 5 lbs. AUW.
The wing is flat bottomed. Would there be an advantage to building it undercambered? Would there be a disadvantage?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2012, 07:44 PM
I would use the airfoil as is. Not even sure if the Spirit had an undercambered airfoil. Flyline planes are noted for being good fliers.
Oct 16, 2012, 08:07 PM
Thread OP
The replica in the Smithsonian has a flat bottom airfoil. Pics of the original indicated an undercamber, so I was wondering.
Oct 16, 2012, 10:25 PM
I'll be watching for sure, got a Guillows kit a few days ago and hope to build sometime in the future. 68 inches should be a great flyer, with out a doubt at 5 pounds...

Bill
Oct 16, 2012, 11:13 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Bill, I could be a bit optimistic with the 5 Lb. estimate, who knows? Probably learn something along the way.
Oct 16, 2012, 11:15 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip57
The replica in the Smithsonian has a flat bottom airfoil. Pics of the original indicated an undercamber, so I was wondering.
Don't know what I was thinkng.... looking at the pics now, can't find a trace of an undercamber!
Oct 17, 2012, 12:05 PM
Tally Ho Chaps!
No rest then Phil! Straight into the next build. This should be interesting? What will you be using for the power plant?
Subbed!
Oct 17, 2012, 12:49 PM
The Spirit in the Smithsonian is the original one--Young Paul Garber, in 1927 a young employee of the Smithsonian, sent a telegram to Paris while Lindbergh was still flying towards France requesting the Spirit for the Smithsonian--he boldness was rewarded when Lindy donated the Spirit. Paul was the guest speaker at a DC Maxecuter Christmas banquet back in the 70s and told us the story.

Also See

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/09/24/us...e-exhibit.html
Oct 17, 2012, 02:07 PM
Thread OP
I thought the Parisiennes ripped the original to pieces... I snapped many pics of the Spirit for future reference. Thanks for the link!

Gavin I don't know yet what the motor will be. Something in the neighborhood of 500 watts, 3 or 4S.
Last edited by phillip57; Oct 17, 2012 at 05:39 PM.
Oct 17, 2012, 04:26 PM
The orgininal Spirit was damaged some by the crowd in Paris when it landed, but she was shipped back to the US. Watch the movie with Jimmy Stewart playing Lindbergh. The Paris Police got the plane into a hangar and away from the crowd.
Oct 17, 2012, 11:57 PM
Balsa Lover
This looks like very interesting build! I'll be watching!
Oct 17, 2012, 11:58 PM
Thread OP
Great to have you along Gupi.
Oct 18, 2012, 10:20 AM
Same here! Good Luck with it.
Oct 18, 2012, 10:48 AM
Thread OP
Pat, I love your Velie Monocoupe build, this is along the same lines.

Quick Reply