Mar 15, 2013, 02:10 AM
Thanks!!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 15, 2013, 02:16 AM
For whatever it's worth, in my speed testing with CrystalDiskMark the Sandisk cards
just barely deliver 10MB/s write speed when they're empty and freshly formatted, and
slow down to about 9MB/s as they fill up. My PNY's consistently show 11-12MB/s
write speeds no matter how much is on the card and I never reformat them.
The 9MB/s (72Mbit/s) of the Sandisks should be more than enough, but I get the feeling that
their performance isn't delivered smoothly. That when the average write speed slows
down they're actually writing in fits and spurts, and that's when the Hero3 Black stops
recording in high bitrate modes.

ian
Last edited by Daemon; Mar 15, 2013 at 02:41 AM.
Mar 15, 2013, 02:18 AM
iMultirotors
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLomas
Toss away this card and buy another one... Or just exchange it (verify with h2testw for speed.
I know the problems people have had with this card but mine seems to have been working fine and still does at 30fps.
I guess 7min is not bad when you see people only getting 7sec.
I've also done 8min at 2.7k/30 so this is why I thought it may be a setting when at 60.
Doing the h2testw now. It's gonna take a while but atm it's writing at 4.25MB/s in the cam.
If this passes without errors, then what?
Mar 15, 2013, 02:29 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator315
It's gonna take a while but atm it's writing at 4.25MB/s in the cam.
If this passes without errors, then what?
Then just replace it with proper card.
Class10 means it should keep 10MB/s, not 4MB/s (as class4). I would ask shop to replace it (as i did with my sandisk ultra's), because they're useless for me (i want 720p@100FPS, 1080p@50FPS - card can't write at this speed).
If you can't replace using warranty - then buy new card.

For some reason my both ultra's we're working well, but speed degraded after few re-write cycles (write some GB here (record video), delete, writwe again - boom, speed is low).
Mar 15, 2013, 02:40 AM
Also, don't try to test the card through the camera's USB port. That'll be meaningless.
You'd need to test it with a fast card reader.
Mar 15, 2013, 02:55 AM
iMultirotors
Ok I aborted the test through the cam and put it in a card reader.

Pic below of it's progress and I guess it's not good. I'll have to get the PNY like everyone else.

I'm sure gopro know of this issue with the sandisk cards that they recommend and they should remove them from their site. I think enough people have been stung already.
Mar 15, 2013, 03:17 AM
I have h2testw but hadn't been using it till now. It has the benefit of showing
the write speed as it goes. There's a noticeable difference between PNY and Sandisk
cards. The PNY card starts out a little slower, but then ramps up its speed as it goes.
My old PNY card averages 11-12MB/s write speeds.
My newer PNY card (identical specs to old one, purchased from amazon above) averages 14-16MB/s!!
The Sandisk cards starts writing instantly at 11-12MB/s but then get slower and slower
as they go and speed seems to jump around a bit. Average ends up around 8.75MB/s
for a 1GB file. My suspicion is that the Sandisk cards are optimized for writing photo
sized files of a few megabytes at a time, not continuous video.

ian
Last edited by Daemon; Mar 15, 2013 at 03:50 AM.
Mar 15, 2013, 04:10 AM
Where is a good place to buy the black GoPro HD HERO 3 .
Thanks Volker
Mar 15, 2013, 04:56 AM
iMultirotors
Test finished without errors but not very fast speeds.

Just bought a PNY on ebay, we'll see how it goes.
Mar 15, 2013, 10:16 AM
Can someone tell me if in the 10pin plug is there a diference between GND and VGND?
I have a silver one and would like to power it without battery, and at the same time use video out.
I have to put a 100k resistor between pin 7 and GND.
Then 5V to pin 1 and GND to GND.
Then AV OUT and VGND to TX?
Mar 15, 2013, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
I have h2testw but hadn't been using it till now. It has the benefit of showing
the write speed as it goes. There's a noticeable difference between PNY and Sandisk
cards. The PNY card starts out a little slower, but then ramps up its speed as it goes.
My old PNY card averages 11-12MB/s write speeds.
My newer PNY card (identical specs to old one, purchased from amazon above) averages 14-16MB/s!!
The Sandisk cards starts writing instantly at 11-12MB/s but then get slower and slower
as they go and speed seems to jump around a bit. Average ends up around 8.75MB/s
for a 1GB file. My suspicion is that the Sandisk cards are optimized for writing photo
sized files of a few megabytes at a time, not continuous video.

ian
I think you're right, makes sense. If the GoPro is writing too fast for the card, that would explain the freezing. I see a new camera with a PNY card in my future.
Mar 16, 2013, 01:12 PM
This is my first time using this h2testw program. How long does the test usually take? I'm testing my Sandisk right now and its been averaging 5.50MB (connected micro SD card adapter directly to SD card reader on laptop) and it says its got 10 mins remaining and the time keeps going up slowly. Is this normal?
Mar 16, 2013, 01:14 PM
By default it'll try to fill the whole card, which can take a long time.
I set the option to only write a fixed amount, and write 1000MB (1GB).
If you're only seeing 5.5MB on a class 10 card, it's probably your card
reader that's limiting the speed.
Mar 16, 2013, 02:24 PM
Thanks Daemon, I got it figured out now.

Holy crap! My Class 10 Sandisk Ultra 32GB is only writing at 5.5MB on my laptop and desktop PC. My Class 10 PNY 32GB is writing at 13.6MB.

The Sandisk starts at around 8MB and slowly falls from there during the 1GB test. I recommend that everyone tests their Sandisks with this h2testw program. Very helpful, thanks again guys! Looks like I got ripped off from Amazon on this defective Sandisk.
Mar 16, 2013, 02:34 PM
Wow, that's the slowest I've heard of. Try reformatting the card from the camera and retest.

Quick Reply