Feb 21, 2013, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70
You have 4 serial now ...

In theory you can connect to serial 0 (adding the two pin), but you will be in parallel with USB, so maybe it is problematic.

But, MegaPirateNG replicate serial 0 (USB) on serial 3

Serial 1 is of OSC

Serial 2 is for GPS

I got the pins in and just did a test, absolute success!

I don't really care much about telemetry, but the thought of breaking the USB connector absolutely scared me to death even though if I did I could just drop pins into the UART and use my USBASP. But the Bluetooth is just a lot cleaner and definitely makes calibrating the magnetometer easier.

Later down the road if I want real-time telemetry 3-D radio or some of the other options will be what I look at. But I had seen Bluetooth mentioned under multi-Wii just hadn't seen anything for MegaPirate NG which is why I asked and I'm glad I did.

Thanks so much e_lm
to remove ads between posts
Feb 21, 2013, 09:06 PM

A great board for the price

I have a quad with a 3DR APM2 board that flies really well and is practically uncrashable but still play around with other boards. Mostly KK2 in quad and tri configurations. After killing my third KK2 board in yet another crash, I wanted to try another cheap board from HK.

Thanks to excellent instructions jabram put in the first post, I was running MPNG 2.7 in a matter of minutes. The only problems were with the tail servo. First issue was that it needed be in output 7 and I thought the picture indicated out put 2. The second was a need to reverse channel 7 in MP. Didn't take long to work it out. Even got a couple of spare telemetry radios connected and working, after soldering in an extra header.

Confidence on a high at this point, I downloaded MPNG 2.9... Now things start going crazy... I couldn't take off. Not enough power to get the tricopter off the ground. After wasting a lot of time changing settings and digging through forums and trying different MPNG versions, I gave in and put larger props on. Problem worked around nicely - it flies again.

Is it strange that 9047 props gave plenty of excess lift in 2.7 but 1147 props were necessary to fly in 2.9 but it is only a minor annoyance. For only double the price of a KK2 board, I have a tricopter that flies unbelievable well, with just the default PIDs - compared to the KK2. The included GPS even works fairly well and performance is really not that different to my uBlox LEA-6 which cost more than the HK board/GPS package.

The nearly constant we've had for a week is coming to an end so I'll finally be able to do some real testing.
Feb 22, 2013, 01:06 AM
Well I run into my first real issue. I'm running MegaPirate NG 2.7 r4 and everything seems to work with one exception, in the flight modes regardless of where I select to put position hold, when I switch to that position it says unknown. Now every other flight mode seems to work just fine it's just position hold.

My GPS is working and it's showing exactly where it's at on the map and it says 3-D fix so I am going to take the leap and say it's working. Another slight issue I'm running into (and it may not be an issue) but I can remember seeing on the flight test video of the Ardupilot 25 mega where they mentioned where you could set the max angle/stick scaling I guess. For the life of me I can't seem to find anything in the planner that comes close. Now of course I can always set my rates I guess on the radio, but I would much prefer to tame it via the software if possible.

The radio I'm using is a CT 6b and I do plan to get a 9x ordered in about a week. And really anything on the position hold would be appreciated, I hate to have to think about giving up on MegaPirate NG and going to multi-Wii but position hold is something I want.
Feb 22, 2013, 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscsi
Well I run into my first real issue. I'm running MegaPirate NG 2.7 r4 and everything seems to work with one exception, in the flight modes regardless of where I select to put position hold, when I switch to that position it says unknown. Now every other flight mode seems to work just fine it's just position hold.

My GPS is working and it's showing exactly where it's at on the map and it says 3-D fix so I am going to take the leap and say it's working. Another slight issue I'm running into (and it may not be an issue) but I can remember seeing on the flight test video of the Ardupilot 25 mega where they mentioned where you could set the max angle/stick scaling I guess. For the life of me I can't seem to find anything in the planner that comes close. Now of course I can always set my rates I guess on the radio, but I would much prefer to tame it via the software if possible.

The radio I'm using is a CT 6b and I do plan to get a 9x ordered in about a week. And really anything on the position hold would be appreciated, I hate to have to think about giving up on MegaPirate NG and going to multi-Wii but position hold is something I want.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean with the position hold (loiter in MP) issue and I have never seen a mode come up as unknown. Does it show up correctly in the Flight Modes on the Configuration page in Mission Planner? You should aim for your modes to be will inside the PWM ranges offered for each mode.

I don't set rate, expo or limits for my APM2, or this HK MultiWii board, because the firmware automatically softens any imput. My tricopter is massively overpowered and takes of like a rocket with a KK2, to the point where I can quickly lose sight of it, but climbs sedately with MPNG or the official APM firmware, acting underpowered.

When in stabilise mode, your maxim tilt angle is limited automatically to something less than 45 degress and it will quickly auto level. Acro mode is limited to 45 degrees, with the acro trainer enabled in Advanced Params. You get set whether or not the tilt angle in maintained in the Acro Axis parameter on the Standard Params page. So no flips or rolls with trainer on.
Feb 22, 2013, 04:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscsi

What I did notice it is that Mission Planer latest edition has some problem on supporting anything then Arducopter 2.9

So ... be aware

I could not calibrate 2.8 with latest mission planer ... I did had to use an older version ...

Anyhow ... now I moved to latest 2.9.1 and latest mission planer ... and all is looking fine

Feb 22, 2013, 11:47 AM
eak
eak
Ok i hawe a strange problem. which makes my quad uncontrolable.
starting it up looking at outputs whithout props it looks all fine.
then puting props on holding it and trying to arm it giving absolute minimum throtle makes it go CRAZY spooling motors up and down and twitching allower its borderline dangerous to hold it because of the strong random reactions.
but it starts nice like it should but this statrs after about 3-5sek after start. should it be able at all to go full throttle at absolut min throttle?
I erased eprom calibrated remote and flight mode is stable.
What can be wrong when everything looks fine without props in mission planner.

images
Last edited by eak; Feb 22, 2013 at 11:49 AM. Reason: image
Feb 22, 2013, 12:39 PM
Done Posting, Gone Flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by eak
Ok i hawe a strange problem. which makes my quad uncontrolable....

What you are seeing is most likely the accelerometers trying to compensate, but since you are holding it, it never reaches its goal.
Set your flight mode to Acro and see if that changes the behavior.
I assume you already checked the basic pre-flight settings. Frame orientation etc. according to the APM-wiki.

/J
Feb 22, 2013, 12:49 PM
eak
eak
Yes I hawe gone throug it all. but there is one thing when i look in the mission planner it shows the heli 90degree off. But that is supposed to fix itself after flying or does it affect the behaviour of the motors ?

I hawe balanced stuff i hawe vibrations in the frame that makes my finger tops itch. But i cant balance it better then it is now. if i look in mission planner and pick tuning graph for acelro it looks almost perfect straight when motors are spinning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNJO
What you are seeing is most likely the accelerometers trying to compensate, but since you are holding it, it never reaches its goal.
Set your flight mode to Acro and see if that changes the behavior.
I assume you already checked the basic pre-flight settings. Frame orientation etc. according to the APM-wiki.

/J
Feb 22, 2013, 12:59 PM
Done Posting, Gone Flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by eak
...but there is one thing when i look in the mission planner it shows the heli 90degree off. ...
That is not good. It will not fix itself in flight. Check again that this is correct -> #define PIRATES_SENSOR_BOARD PIRATES_FREEIMU in APM_Config.h.
If nothing else works, I'd start over from scratch with a new copy of MPNG.

/J
Feb 22, 2013, 01:42 PM
eak
eak
puting in acro mode is even worse. i ount understand whuy the code allows full throttle at lowest throttle setting to stabilize. i will try to reset it and remowe that 270deg that is in the config and put it back to theoriginal 180.
Feb 22, 2013, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eak
puting in acro mode is even worse. i ount understand whuy the code allows full throttle at lowest throttle setting to stabilize. i will try to reset it and remowe that 270deg that is in the config and put it back to theoriginal 180.
Why would you do that? Setting to 270 is required for the HK board and it works for others. In any case, this is just for the compass so you could disable the compass in mission planner temporarily to determine if the issue is related.

What is out by 90 degrees? The compass or the frame orientation? Which MPNG version are you running? If you have the 2.9 series, could you have forgotten to do the accelerometer calibration by going through the level routine in mission planner? This is necessary to teach the controller the accelerometer offsets (?? that might not be the right term but they need the 3D reference points generated in this procedure.). See:
(2 min 34 sec)

I'll assume you are sure that the motors are setup on the right outputs and your ESCs are calibrated. I could easily be wrong but that seems to leave accelerometer setup as the main suspect, based on the information provided, and your quad will not learn this in flight.
Feb 22, 2013, 04:45 PM
eak
eak
I tried that calibration once but nothing happened. exept telling me done.
I will try that again. And put back the 270 degrees.
Feb 22, 2013, 04:49 PM
Well destroyed 4 motors possibly all 6, a 4000 MAH battery and 6 props. Still not really freaking sure what happened. Everything set up and operating properly, could fly it around in stabilize mode, had the radio calibrated ACC calibrated as per the video above, running 2.9 and since POS_hold Was still showing unknown I decided to use loiter mode. One switch setting was stabilize the other loiter. Was flying around in stabilize mode, flip the switch and it shot like a bat out of hell straight up well in excess of 300 feet so I flipped the switch off back to stabilize and of course I could not get it down in one piece.

Brightside, board GPS and frame all seem okay, and crashing isn't the worst thing, it's just the behavior of the so-called loiter. Can anybody answer what I might've been doing wrong?
Feb 22, 2013, 04:56 PM
eak
eak
Mission planner only tells me Click when done. and under the button it tells me command recived
Feb 22, 2013, 05:28 PM
eak
eak
I hawe version 2.8r3 from megapirate

Quick Reply