Dec 07, 2012, 07:42 PM
Joe

1st Sorry about my Typo in previous post where I typed MP 4.7 Should have been 2.7 r4
When I click on terminal I get the correct info
See Pic, Typed Setup and then erase all OK
Then go to Flight Data, Click on Connect and get the Mavlink box
see next Pic, in 3rd Pic you will see up top right corner it says 100%
Lower right say Stablize, and No Gps I followed your instructions on Page 1 of this forum
I have a ublox Crius cn-06 Reset to 5 Hz and 38400 Baud rate.
However I get no reading at all and the artificial horizon does not move.
Now at start up of mission planner the is an update for Ardino Mega 2560.inf

But it will not load, gives me a timeout error, any suggestions.

By the way the 1st pic was after I did a reset as you suggested in last post.
Thanks Cliff
Last edited by Clavin01; Dec 07, 2012 at 08:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2012, 08:53 PM
Thread OP
@Clavin01
do you have your CN-06 V2 GPS connected like this - pay attention to the color of the wires

Did you remember to make these changes in APM_config.h

Quote:
#define GPS_PROTOCOL GPS_PROTOCOL_UBLOX

#define SERIAL2_BAUD 38400 // GPS port
I notice you have Mission Planner 1.2.26

That update occurred yesterday, on my PC it failed toward the end of the update

in Mission Planner I clicked on Help ?
then clicked on Check for Updates

It did the update again without error this time but would not work properly until I had rebooted my PC

I suggest you run Mission Planner DON'T CONNECT, click Help and check for updates, afterward reboot your PC.

After the PC reboots

Connect USB to HK Mega, wait until LEDs settle.

Run Mission Planner DO NOT CONNECT
Terminal
setup
reset

Type Y to confirm then - wait for a message saying to reboot.APM

Shut down Mission Planner.

Unplug USB

wait 30 seconds

Plug USB back in again, wait until HK Mega LEDs settle down.

Run Mission Planner and connect

It should display GPS: No Fix and eventually GPS : 3D Fix

The numbers for altitude etc should be changing straight away.

If that does not work, disconnect Mission Planner, unplug the GPS, restart HK Mega, connect Mission planner and see if the display of alt is changing as well as compass and artificial horizon.

If that works OK without GPS then the GPS is causing the problem, report back
Last edited by jabram; Dec 08, 2012 at 01:05 AM.
Dec 07, 2012, 11:27 PM
Thread OP
Heads up
HobbyKing have what looks like the CRIUS AIOP V1 at a lower price $48.95
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ega_2560_.html

IMHO Combine that with CN-06 V2 from Rctimer or whitespy, better deal than the HK Mega with MTK3329

I still don't like those fiddly little white connectors although the cables are provided, then there is that fragile USB connector AND naturally not a scrap of documentation
Last edited by jabram; Dec 07, 2012 at 11:52 PM.
Dec 07, 2012, 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabram
Heads up
HobbyKing have what looks like the CRIUS AIOP V1 at a lower price $48.95
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ega_2560_.html

IMHO Combine that with CN-06 V2 from Rctimer or whitespy, better deal than the HK Mega with MTK3329

I still don't like those fiddly little white connectors although the cables are provided, then there is that fragile USB connector AND naturally not a scrap of documentation
The only benefit is" MS5611-01BA01 highprecision altimeter"

Guess this is now getting cheaper, on ebay a module with this chip still cost over 20$

Again ... just order the old one .. but still old board + gps is still 15$ cheaper

Gps alone cost no less then 26$

Plus all standard plug is still a plus for me

Dec 08, 2012, 12:08 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70
The only benefit is" MS5611-01BA01 highprecision altimeter"
High precision MS5611, I have all three including the stainless steel casing MS5611 which is supposed to be even better, they are slightly better but a long way from perfect - they drifts like crazy for first 3 to 4 minutes when first powered up, a known feature. That is after you have gone to great lengths to keep all light from reaching the sensor.

Switch it on and a few minutes later it has gone down 3 meters below zero, few minutes later it settles at -1 meter.

There is also the MPU6050 which is better than separate ACC and separate Gyro.

Cons are you cannot bench test by just using USB as that doesn't power GPS or 3DR or Xbee so one needs to connect a Lipo and Ubec, no schematics means it is difficult to figure out their weird power distribution.
Last edited by jabram; Dec 08, 2012 at 01:10 AM.
Dec 08, 2012, 01:11 AM
Hi Joe,
Just got back from flying (fixed wing) and thought I had better reply to your post from yesterday..
I am not at all sorry for asking you that question..You told me every thing I needed and wanted to know. I will take your advise on the Ardu Flyer board. I had a look at it and will have a look at the schematics which appears to be in Eagle format. That is a program I used to draw up my circuits and board layout for the CNC machine to cut out. I haven't used it for several years now as I no longer do electronic design or building but I am sure I still have it here somewhere. Unfortunately the eyesight and brain are no longer what they used to be. I do like the idea of the circuit diagram as this board appears to have a lot more capabilities than what is being used. The HK board may also be capable of doing a lot more but without a circuit diagram it is a bit difficult and also a waste of time seeing the Ardu board is already available. A lot of the Ports of the Atmega chip don't come out to any connectors.
For the moment I will continue with the HK board and get it all flying and see for myself what it is capable of before deciding on the bigger machine, but so far looks very promising. I can't do much more at the moment until parts arrive. I also have to work on the vibration dampening which you mentioned. I did already know about. It made all the difference to the handling of my old Quad. In fact,it made it so you could fly it without darting off into some random direction or a sudden unexpected maneuver. It is well worth the time and effort to eliminate as much vibration as possible.
I am glad that you found the answer to the pin out problem. Good to see that none of us is going out of their minds after all. Hi Hi.
I thank you again for all your help and advise. I have no doubt I may have a few more questions along the way to getting this thing to fly well and stable.

Regards
Bruce
Dec 08, 2012, 01:25 AM
Thread OP
@view27

Bruce, thanks, the ArduCopter schematics are useful, yes Eagle is a pain, I absolutely hate it, lots of people use it only because it is free. The ArduCopter schematics are accurate but challenging, difficult to find connectors as there are no socket labels or matching silkscreen, a bit amateurish but accurate.
Joe
Dec 08, 2012, 04:25 AM
Done Posting, Gone Flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabram
...IMHO Combine that with CN-06 V2 from Rctimer or whitespy, better deal than the HK Mega with MTK3329...
They do mention in the text that a 10Hz GPS module is coming soon.
Be fun to see which one that is.

/J
Dec 08, 2012, 05:17 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNJO
They do mention in the text that a 10Hz GPS module is coming soon.
Be fun to see which one that is.

/J
I am guessing MTK3329 but willing to be surprised.

They should be selling the ArduFlyer APM 2.5 which would be far more interesting specially if they didn't inflate the price just because the real APM 2.5 is sold at a ridiculously high price..
Dec 08, 2012, 09:14 AM
Hello Joe
Gps is hooked up the same, see Pic
Tried everything as you indicated, no luck
I went back to the mission Planner 1.2.25 tried to update failed. also
rebooted the PC and still failed. Went back to very beginning
checked changes in Multiwii, uploaded it. Went to WinGui, see Pic
All working as should. Then went to ardino1.01 made changes as indicated
( see pics) uploaded that and tried reset in Mission Planner with Gps -nothing
Disconnected, removed Gps - still nothing. I am at a loss , any thoughts?
Also included a pic of Device manager, I read somewhere it should say
atmel2650 , but my com5 says Silicone Labs usb to uart
Thank you. Cliff (Clavin01)
Dec 08, 2012, 09:21 AM
Screen shots of changes to config_h , config.h in Megapirate
to show the changes that were made.
Cliff
Dec 08, 2012, 10:12 AM
Done Posting, Gone Flying
@Clavin01
Not that it really should matter, but you can run your console port (S0) at 115200.
Looks to me like you are not getting sensor data over mavlink for some reason.
But obviously you do have a link to the board.
If you test the sensors in the console, do you get any live data for gyro, acc, compass, rawgps?
Don't have my system setup now so I can't guide you, but they should be under "test" in the console.

/J

Edit: Your LED 2 (Green) is lit. Is your LED 1 flashing at ~1Hz?
To me it looks like your board hasn't booted right. Did you try to press the reset button on the board while still powered?

Edit 2: Maybe you can post your APM_Config.h and config.h here? Use the hash-sign in advanced to keep them small. ([CODE])
Last edited by JNJO; Dec 08, 2012 at 10:45 AM. Reason: LED 2 lit?
Dec 08, 2012, 11:06 AM
Thread OP
@clavin01

If the update failed then you must rectify that first.

I suggest you un-install APM Planner,
reboot the PC
install APM Planner again but don't update it yet.
reboot the PC

When you next run Mission Planner and until you get it to work correctly always say NO to update, choose option to do it later.

What happens if you;

turn everything off
Disconnect GPS - to test the HK Mega board on its own.
Run Mission Planner and since you loaded MWii you need to do erase and reset again.
Turn everything off
Connect USB, wait 10 seconds
Start Mission Planner and connect.

Does it work without the GPS ?

In your earlier post you wrote
Quote:
I followed your instructions on Page 1 of this forum
I have a ublox Crius cn-06 Reset to 5 Hz and 38400 Baud rate.
Those are not my instructions.- My instructions are to use u-center to load 3DR txt into CN-06. You make no mention of 3DR txt therefore I assume you may have used u-center and set it up yourself without using 3DR txt . 3DR txt sets the GPS to 4Hz and 38400 baud. plus a lot of other essential changes such as UBLOX Protocol etc.

I suggest you first fix the failed APM Planner update and then establish that the board with NOTHING CONNECTED [No GPS, nothing connected] other than USB can communicate with Mission Planner correctly.
Last edited by jabram; Dec 08, 2012 at 11:38 AM.
Dec 08, 2012, 12:16 PM
OK as per your Post,
Removed Mission Planner, Reboot
Install Mission Planner, reboot

NO update

Clicked on Terminal did , setup , erase and then reset

disconnected from planner and usb, waited 30 sec and hooked up usb
went to M Planner connected , nothing no movement
removed GPS did reset on board, hooked up to M Planner
again, no movement on anything

When I said followed instruction, I meant as far as APM_config h and Config h ,
on Ublox Gps used u-center to reset it to 38400 baud and 5 Hz, loaded 3d text as well
Thanks Cliff

On a side note. I did Try Mp 2.6 v6 and everything worked except the gps
It Showed the Green bars in Radio Setup, Compass worked, Indicator moved as it should
Right, Left, Foward and back.
Last edited by Clavin01; Dec 08, 2012 at 01:24 PM.
Dec 08, 2012, 07:29 PM
Thread OP
@Clavin01
That is strange, only thing I can think of is that you inadvertently made a change in APM_Config.h or another file and either did not notice or you then forgot about it, like I did earlier.

To rule that out, replace the APM_Config.h file in the Arduino sketch directory with the original file in the zip file. or replace ALL the files with the originals and carefully edit only the required changes.

Going back and forth between MWii and MP NG, trying older versions of MP NG is not helping, you may have overwritten 2,.7 R4 files with 2.6 files etc,

You have confirmed the sensors themselves work on the HK Mega, so it looks like it is an incorrect setting in the code, works for everyone else and you board is the same as all others, if your board was faulty Mwii would not work either.

Quick Reply