Dec 03, 2012, 08:58 PM

Multiwii Pro

Hello all
OK I got it connected to Mission Planner, but nothing seems to be working
in Flight data the GPS box says disarmed, How do you get it to register
so as you move the FC it shows? Am I missing something?
and does anyone know what the LED's mean I have Leds 1,2 and 3 lit
along with vbus and 5v What is led 4 ??? Thanks Cliff
to remove ads between posts
Dec 03, 2012, 09:08 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clavin01
Hello all
Well Cliff;

It sure is nice to see you posting here. I am just down the road from you in Southern Maryland (western shore). I just received my first MultiWii Pro with the GPS module from Hobby King. I have four quads now,three with KK2, one with KK V-3 and am going to built this one on a DJI 450 clone frame from HK. I haven't decided on the exact motors yet but I just put a set of NTM Prop drives on my Talon V2 as replacements for some pancake motors I had little luck with. The shafts were very soft and bent easily.

So maybe I can get some help with the setup here. I am having a real tough time with flashing the KK2's and thought this may be easier but I am beginning to wonder.

I'll be watching your post closely.

BTW I grew up in Sun Valley and graduated from Northeast High in 1970.

Sudsy
Dec 03, 2012, 10:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clavin01
Hello all
In APM Planner you do need to [top right] select correct COM Port for your USB connection and also the correct baud rate which by default is 115200 unless you changed it in the MP NG code. Then click on Connect for anything to happen.

DISARMED is about the motors being Disarmed.

Assuming GPS is connected and configured correctly

Bottom right, white text over green background, will read GPS: No GPS if it can't see a connected GPS

It will change to GPS: No Fix until the GPS can see enough satellites to obtain a fix.

Then it will change to GPS: 3D Fix once it sees enough satellites, at that time the satellite image on the right should show a quad over your location IF you PC has internet access.

You say nothing is working.

If you tilt the board does the artificial horizon change

If you rotate the board does the heading [top left] change?
Dec 04, 2012, 12:17 AM
we dont NEED roads!
I feel like an idiot. I have read the first post of this thread a hundred times. Followed each step-by-step but i cant get Flight Planner to connect to my board. Mavlink wont connect. I believe im supposed to remove Multi-Wii and flash MPNG onto my board but im not sure how?

I edit APM_Config.h & config.h

Then I tried to go into the flight planner and use the terminal for the next step, but I do not get anything in the terminal. It does open the COM port, but then i get nothing. Typing "SETUP" or "?" does nothing.
Dec 04, 2012, 12:40 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
I feel like an idiot. I have read the first post of this thread a hundred times. Followed each step-by-step but i cant get Flight Planner to connect to my board. Mavlink wont connect. I believe im supposed to remove Multi-Wii and flash MPNG onto my board but im not sure how?

I edit APM_Config.h & config.h

Then I tried to go into the flight planner and use the terminal for the next step, but I do not get anything in the terminal. It does open the COM port, but then i get nothing. Typing "SETUP" or "?" does nothing.
Hey, don't feel bad about it, no big deal, we are all born knowing basically nothing the rest is learn t along the way. Our experiences vary widely, it's OK.

Loading code into the Mega board is done using Arduino software.
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

I will embellish the first page with step by step instructions for using Arduino to change settings in the code and also how to load the firmware into the HK Mega board.
Dec 04, 2012, 12:51 AM
we dont NEED roads!
Yeah i figured it out after reading through this:
http://www.nijlstroom.nl/index.php/l...gapirates.html

Also I ran into issues compiling the code, until i read this:
http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot-mega/wiki/Code

But finally I have MPNG connected and it looks to be working. Im still trying to get things figured out. It appears as though pitch & roll are reversed. When I pitch the quad, MissionPlanner thinks its rolling. And when I roll, MissionPlanner things I am pitched?
Dec 04, 2012, 02:04 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Yeah i figured it out after reading through this:
http://www.nijlstroom.nl/index.php/l...gapirates.html

Also I ran into issues compiling the code, until i read this:
http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot-mega/wiki/Code

But finally I have MPNG connected and it looks to be working. Im still trying to get things figured out. It appears as though pitch & roll are reversed. When I pitch the quad, MissionPlanner thinks its rolling. And when I roll, MissionPlanner things I am pitched?
Are you doing this with the original HobbyKing Mega or a whitespy mega ?

whitespy Mega I believe has the arrow pointing forward wrong sso the right side is actually the front.
Dec 04, 2012, 02:05 AM
we dont NEED roads!
Yeah im using the witespy board.

MultiWiiGUI shows the proper direction. But MegaPirate does not. I guess mounting the board sideways is not a horrible solution to the problem I suppose.

Does anybody know how to tell how many GPS Satelites i am tracking in Flight Planner?
Dec 04, 2012, 02:12 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Yeah im using the witespy board.

MultiWiiGUI shows the proper direction. But MegaPirate does not. I guess mounting the board sideways is not a horrible solution to the problem I suppose.

Does anybody know how to tell how many GPS Satelites i am tracking in Flight Planner?
it is a pain having to copy and quote every single post you make, RCG are mad at you, any way to sort that out?

You should mention that you are using the whitespy board, else it will confuse a lot of people.

Satellites

click on Status, tab bottom left

look at satcount
Dec 04, 2012, 02:15 AM
we dont NEED roads!
Sorry. Things will return to normal on Dec 31st, so long as I don't break any more rules.

Thanks for the help. I think I got things sorted out and am ready for a maiden flight.
Dec 04, 2012, 02:44 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Sorry. Things will return to normal on Dec 31st, so long as I don't break any more rules.

Thanks for the help. I think I got things sorted out and am ready for a maiden flight.
So, you start 2013 with a clean slate good luck with not breaking any more rules.
Dec 04, 2012, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy
Well Cliff;

It sure is nice to see you posting here. I am just down the road from you in Southern Maryland (western shore). I just received my first MultiWii Pro with the GPS module from Hobby King. I have four quads now,three with KK2, one with KK V-3 and am going to built this one on a DJI 450 clone frame from HK. I haven't decided on the exact motors yet but I just put a set of NTM Prop drives on my Talon V2 as replacements for some pancake motors I had little luck with. The shafts were very soft and bent easily.

So maybe I can get some help with the setup here. I am having a real tough time with flashing the KK2's and thought this may be easier but I am beginning to wonder.

I'll be watching your post closely.

BTW I grew up in Sun Valley and graduated from Northeast High in 1970.

Sudsy
Deleted... OFF topic!!
Dec 04, 2012, 06:54 AM
My GPS seem out 45 degrees but I find i strange that the red line doesn't come out the front of my x-quad. Instead the red line comes out like a plus-quad layout.

I tried changing the settings in mission planner for plus or x but it has no effect. Is that normal for a x mode quad?

Why does the red line come out at a 45 degree angle?
Dec 04, 2012, 07:28 AM
Thread OP
@LegendLength

Welcome, yes, perfectly normal, quad+ representation is all there is for the GPS icon

The red line represents the Compass heading - assuming you have enabled the compass and performed Compass calibration

All normal exactly like the photo in the first post of this thread, the satellite map has North straight up, the red line over to the left matching the displayed Compass heading of 327

Compass Calibration is done using Mission Planner;
Configuration - Hardware Options - Compass - Enable - Live Calibration
Dec 04, 2012, 07:37 AM
I've done the calibration with two different boards (one mounted) and revolved it 3 times per axis. It gives me an accurate reading but it's off by 20 - 25 degrees.

I tried different ROTATE_YAW_270 amounts in the config.h (180, 90, NONE and finally 225). They do rotate the board around but it seems clumsy.

I have the magnetic declination correct and i've tried it with and without auto learn compass in advanced.

The board is a whitespy with standard mtk3394 gps chip. I've tested in different locations around the house and outside away from metal. Also testing with just the FC board and nothing else except usb cable (no gps).

I just can't work it out it's taken me 10 or 15 hours so far and I'm still nowhere.

Quick Reply