May 13, 2019, 08:51 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
I sent the first set of plans along today.
There are a couple of little things I ironed out on Stan's set, and I'll have updated copies made when we get serious about mailing to the crew. That will be Wednesday, I think..
I'm not going to make too many copies for sale. It wasn't my intent. I want the plans on a free PDF file for builders interested in having one, but I will help guys who aren't near a copy shop, or don't want to be bothered with having them done. For now, I'm looking for feedback on the glaring issues that can stall a build.
Look , I know these aren't first class plans- it's my first effort. But I've built 4 models so far, and I've tried to make the hard parts easier. I will constantly update any problem areas from feedback.
I fully encourage guys to go with what they are used to, in building. The wings are easy- a Sig wing kit, and you're almost home free. -A Sig full kit will get a lot of the fuselage done, along with the Stabilizer. The verticals are custom made, so 'scratch' is the answer there, and most of the Sig parts will modify to work.
I think that in the fall, I'll start a build here as we go piece by piece.
Latest blog entry: Ban Birds.
to remove ads between posts
May 18, 2019, 05:17 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
I got some constructive feed back on troublesome areas, mostly on 'perspective'. The top of the fuselage frame is wider than the bottom, and the side frames have to be angled to each other , vertically. Maybe a couple of cross-section views should be added.. My thoughts were that there are two pieces of lite ply that fit between the frames, top and bottom, that hold them at the correct distances apart. Cross sections will clarify that.

The nose section tapers from the front landing gear leg, in a 'twist' as it goes from square at the gear, to angular in the firewall.

It looks like an actual build log from the plans should be moved up from the fall.

The gentleman who offered a slightly damaged 1/4 scale Cub is at it again. 'Free for pickup' but he doesn't have an address..... sigh. We've narrowed it down to the 'Octoraro Watershed' encompassing 1200 square miles.! We'll do a grid search..
Last edited by epoxyearl; May 18, 2019 at 05:51 AM.
May 19, 2019, 07:33 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
I finally caught up with the guy offering a crashed 1/4 scale Sig cub this morning.

The wings and stabilizer are good, heading for a Midwing Special constructed from those parts.

A side benefit was 5 new Servos (Hitec 705 MG's and 325 HBs, and a Futaba 148 ) for free.
May 19, 2019, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl
I got some constructive feed back on troublesome areas, mostly on 'perspective'. The top of the fuselage frame is wider than the bottom, and the side frames have to be angled to each other , vertically. Maybe a couple of cross-section views should be added.. My thoughts were that there are two pieces of lite ply that fit between the frames, top and bottom, that hold them at the correct distances apart. Cross sections will clarify that.

The nose section tapers from the front landing gear leg, in a 'twist' as it goes from square at the gear, to angular in the firewall.

It looks like an actual build log from the plans should be moved up from the fall.

The gentleman who offered a slightly damaged 1/4 scale Cub is at it again. 'Free for pickup' but he doesn't have an address..... sigh. We've narrowed it down to the 'Octoraro Watershed' encompassing 1200 square miles.! We'll do a grid search..
Thanks Earl. That explanation helped a lot. I think a couple of formers the width of the top and bottom ply deck templates are needed to keep them in position before gluing on the sides . The fuse could be built upside down so the wider deck former is tacked to the building board with the lower deck former above attached with the newly added formers. I hope that makes sense. I will send you a diagram in the next day or so what I mean.
Stan
May 20, 2019, 09:02 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
This comparison of the Mid Wing left panel, compared to a 'Long Wing' Cub from Sig shows the modified lengths.
May 21, 2019, 08:12 PM
OK, Earl, Here are the formers I proposed in Post 860. I drew them as HALF formers so anyone using them can have a symmetrical part. I did not pick a material to use i.e. Balsa / Plywood and left the center cutout to the builders preference. I marked the former positions on the plan side view in red so you can see them better. I used half inch triangle stock full width of the former to support the 3 formers to both Upper and Lower ply decking. I would still like to see how you constructed the stick fuse with the plywood decking.
Cheers
Stan
May 22, 2019, 05:29 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
Thanks for the input- I can add those as cross-sections.

I didn't use formers in mine, since I use an RCM Fuselage Jig.. The top view plans are secured on the fixture, and the sides are clamped to it. The upper and lower decks are glued into place. The assembled unit is strong enough without formers..
Formers are the perfect answer if you do not use a jig to build with.
There is no 'right or wrong' here-build the way you are comfortable with, what has worked for you. Many roads to the same destination.
Paul and I are going to the copy shop to record better drawings, today. I've done finer drawings of the fuselage front plywood, and doublers.
Last edited by epoxyearl; May 22, 2019 at 05:48 AM.
May 22, 2019, 07:47 AM
Earl, The middle picture says it all. I will use the formers and the fuse jig arrangement as shown in your picture. Here is a pic of a commercial fuse jig I bought years ago similar to RCM jig but more robust. No reason the RCM jig could not be made in a larger scale for bigger models.
May 22, 2019, 10:18 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
Yes to either jig. I made a few of these to sell, and I just added longer uprights to one side of the brackets.
There isn't much strain on these with this fuselage design.
May 23, 2019, 03:37 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
I redrew some of the parts and had them copied, and I'm implementing some ideas from feedback. -No major changes, but things that make it easier to build, or more easily understood.

The Plywood Fuselage sides and doublers got a new tracing, and they look much better.

My first reaction was to start a new build immediately so guys could follow along, but with only 3 sets of plans forwarded, it wouldn't be of any help to guys with blank sheets of paper. Better to hold off until there are no real problems then start rolling the ball....
May 26, 2019, 07:36 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
I shot myself in the foot, by cramming parts and plans on the same sheets..
I've been playing here and there, laying out a separate sheet for parts only.
An extra sheet of paper is about $10 bucks, printed, and it seems a better decision, to have the parts on a 'disposable' sheet, keeping the building plans from harm.
I had left two blocks out of the lower nose section at the bottom, where the cowl turns under the fuselage. That's an easy fix.
I'm sanding mine, preparing to start covering.. I'd like to fly it at the August Airshow in New Garden ,Pa., if possible. The full scale may be there, although it's tentative right now.
May 26, 2019, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl
I shot myself in the foot, by cramming parts and plans on the same sheets..
I've been playing here and there, laying out a separate sheet for parts only.
An extra sheet of paper is about $10 bucks, printed, and it seems a better decision, to have the parts on a 'disposable' sheet, keeping the building plans from harm.
I had left two blocks out of the lower nose section at the bottom, where the cowl turns under the fuselage. That's an easy fix.
I'm sanding mine, preparing to start covering.. I'd like to fly it at the August Airshow in New Garden ,Pa., if possible. The full scale may be there, although it's tentative right now.
Thanks Earl. You must have been reading my mind about putting all the cut parts on a separate page. Bravo,

Now that you did that, did you also line up the top and side plan views? Not required but the way most plans are shown.

Last one, Is someone making cowls available. The Hanger 9 Super Cub cowl is no longer available. Fiberglass Specialties lists a replacement for the Hanger 9 cowl but we need to verify it is the same size that you have. If you don't have the time to check can you post or PM me the length, front width and rear width and I will check. Thanks

Stan
May 27, 2019, 03:14 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
[QUOTE=Zipman;41948789]Thanks Earl. You must have been reading my mind about putting all the cut parts on a separate page. Bravo,

Now that you did that, did you also line up the top and side plan views? Not required but the way most plans are shown.

Last one, Is someone making cowls available. The Hanger 9 Super Cub cowl is no longer available. Fiberglass Specialties lists a replacement for the Hanger 9 cowl but we need to verify it is the same size that you have. If you don't have the time to check can you post or PM me the length, front width and rear width and I will check. Thanks

Stan[/QUOTE
Last edited by epoxyearl; May 27, 2019 at 03:20 AM.
May 27, 2019, 03:34 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
That is not good news about H-9's cowl!
I posted pictures of Craig's Super Cub cowl, and it is not a match. I'll find the link after I've had coffee....( Page 30,Report #447) - It fits on and all, but it doesn't look good.

Ben replaced the original nose bowl with one from a Pitts Special, when he restored the full scale plane. Maybe a 1/4 scale Pitts cowl can contribute some parts to make one for this...? -I'm on it....

I'll research more cowls, in the meantime. ohhhh this is bad !

I had omitted two filler blocks at the lower boot cowl. Just two 1" square balsa blocks, tapered to nothing in 6-1/4 ".

Rearranging the fuselage locations will be an easy fix, (side and top views) with the parts on another page.
Last edited by epoxyearl; May 27, 2019 at 03:44 AM.

Quick Reply