Mar 09, 2019, 05:34 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
We got another .030 " of snow yesterday... couldn't make the trip to the copy shop with the newest drawings.

We did get an offer of help on Laser cutting from a Popular Cutter, so it's another thing to consider.- I'm staying with just the plans, for now. If a kit is in the works, it'll be available directly from him.

I'm making this too hard on myself getting things exactly right. The center section is looking great, and I can see the end should be near.
Latest blog entry: Ban Birds.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 09, 2019, 08:59 AM
Terrific, You Rock Earl
Mar 09, 2019, 01:04 PM
Play that funky music right
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl
We got another .030 " of snow yesterday... couldn't make the trip to the copy shop with the newest drawings.

We did get an offer of help on Laser cutting from a Popular Cutter, so it's another thing to consider.- I'm staying with just the plans, for now. If a kit is in the works, it'll be available directly from him.

I'm making this too hard on myself getting things exactly right. The center section is looking great, and I can see the end should be near.
Earl, While I more than likely will never build a Mid Wing I do appreciate your diligence in getting the plans right. I restarted my Zlin build from five years ago and continue to find glaring mistakes on the plans and which translated to the short kit and then the poor quality of the laser cutting of the short kit compounds the issue.

Having things correctly drawn will make your Mid Wing a joy to build. I commend your efforts!

Ken
Mar 09, 2019, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497
Earl, having things correctly drawn will make your Mid Wing a joy to build. I commend your efforts! Ken

+1

Joe
Mar 10, 2019, 04:36 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
Thanks, Guys.
I've said before that I learned a great respect for plan designers. I believe there will be a few errors on mine as well.
But building a couple of prototypes is helping me find the 'glaring' ones and it allows me to catch them early on.

I finished the drawings in 'full scale' for the upper and lower fuselage 'decks' yesterday, and some detail work on that aggravating center section.

For whatever reason, pictures aren't uploading to this page, so a session with grandson Zac is in order to see if we can rectify that, yet once again. I bought a new 'card' and holder, but that didn't fix the glitch. It's as if the images are going to a faraway place.. There is no 'March' storage of the several pictures I've taken.
Pfffttttt !
Mar 14, 2019, 03:33 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
The copy shop replaced all their scanners and copiers with new equipment.

I drew a 1/2 scale Fuselage, and had it reduced 50 %. Then I did all sorts of measuring to check the accuracy, I could find no discrepancies anywhere.

With my being a lousy scholar in the CAD areas, this is good for me. I'm getting most of the information together to send to a well known designer and Laser Cutter for him to check over, and maybe cut some parts.

Pictures still are not co-operating with me...I can transfer them from the Camera to the Computer via the Camera Card. The Computer says "thank you, we're done!" then places them somewhere I can't find them !

It can read my messages to me, but it damn sure won't listen when I ask anything !
Last edited by epoxyearl; Mar 14, 2019 at 03:42 PM.
Mar 20, 2019, 06:41 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
I'm 'tiling' all the parts together to fit on 36" wide plans, ready for final editing.

We're almost home... I'm getting all the nomenclature done very soon , along with a materials list.
Mar 20, 2019, 07:01 PM
Hi Earl,

It's nice, and fitting, to see this design drawn out on vellum with drafting tools. Looks like you're well on your way to putting a new model design out for modelers that will certainly turn heads at the flying field.

Joe
Mar 20, 2019, 09:20 PM
Quote:
I'm 'tiling' all the parts together to fit on 36" wide plans, ready for final editing.

We're almost home... I'm getting all the nomenclature done very soon , along with a materials list.
Impeccable work Earl!
Mar 23, 2019, 11:47 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
" I have NOT failed !.... I've just found 37 ways that won't work !! Benny Franklin.

You have no idea how many words are on a set of plans ! No idea at all !
My weekend, and possibly the next full week, will be filled with letterererering !
Mar 24, 2019, 01:03 PM
Play that funky music right
Quote:
" I have NOT failed !.... I've just found 37 ways that won't work !! Benny Franklin.

You have no idea how many words are on a set of plans ! No idea at all !
My weekend, and possibly the next full week, will be filled with letterererering !
That depends on the set of plans! Some plans leave you to your wildest imagination! Don't ask how I know. I know you won't do that. You will write a book.

Ken
Mar 24, 2019, 03:34 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
Yeah- my Heart's in the right place... But that MIND ! -all set to send a PDF file to the Cutter for editing, and there's no TOP view ! aagggghhhh !

Nothing is easy, anymore.... But like Joe and ken and Tom, we keep struggling....
Mar 27, 2019, 05:25 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
Thread OP
Finally ! I'm trippin' to the Copy Shop Thursday for what I hope is the final rendition of the plans..

I'm calling them 'Craftsman's' plans to relieve some of the responsibility of perfection. "Cut to the line, sand to fit "

All the parts are accounted for, and I'm cutting myself a kit, looking for flaws. Since this is my first attempt at this sort of thing, I'd equate the plans to Ikon's offerings.. Hand drawn, hand lettered, and mis-spelled...But folks built his models, and that's what we're looking for.

We're still using Sig's wing kit, but the plans have the rib templates drawn for modifications to this model. You need to modify the Sig wing center section a lot, just because this has an open cockpit.- and yes- you don't need Sig's kit to scratch build it.
Last edited by epoxyearl; Mar 27, 2019 at 05:32 AM.
Mar 27, 2019, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Finally ! I'm trippin' to the Copy Shop Thursday for what I hope is the final rendition of the plans..

I'm calling them 'Craftsman's' plans to relieve some of the responsibility of perfection. "Cut to the line, sand to fit "

All the parts are accounted for, and I'm cutting myself a kit, looking for flaws. Since this is my first attempt at this sort of thing, I'd equate the plans to Ikon's offerings.. Hand drawn, hand lettered, and mis-spelled...But folks built his models, and that's what we're looking for.

We're still using Sig's wing kit, but the plans have the rib templates drawn for modifications to this model. You need to modify the Sig wing center section a lot, just because this has an open cockpit.- and yes- you don't need Sig's kit to scratch build it.
I have great affection for hand-drawn and lettered plans. Most of what I have built over the years came from such plans. Thanks again for all of your hard work. I am looking forward to building one of these!
Mar 27, 2019, 12:43 PM
Hay Earl, I am fairly close to you so if I have a problem understanding the plans I will load my car with wood and glue and come to your shop for a 3 day weekend and we can frame one up.

Your should start a BBB - Bed, Breakfast and Build. LOL

Quick Reply