Mar 09, 2014, 12:31 AM
Pronounced "High Duck"
A great design. Have been getting a lot of streamer combat in with this one. We've been flying out of a tiny gym this winter. I built one without the carbon fiber reinforcement out of the MPF board. From the start of the build I was thinking, "keep it light..." No extra reinforcement, just the foam board. It has now survived several rough impacts with everything from the rafters, basketball hoops, backboards, bleachers, various other airplanes, Bill (a couple times) and several head on mid air collisions. The port wing is sliced half through. The starboard wing has been reattached a few times, but it is still flying quite well. Beautiful design Ken. Thanks man.

I CnC cut this one from the MPF board and laser cut my horns and motor mount from 1/16" ply. All in line with Ken's original plans. I used lighter gear all the way around:

Motor: AX1304-2000kv (6.5g) with an APC 7x4SF prop.
Batery: Turnigy nano-tech 300mah 2S (17g)
Receiver: OrangeRx R415 4ch (2g)
ESC: TURNIGY Plush 6A (6g)
Servos: 3x HK-5330 Ultra-Micro Digital Servo (1.9g each) (two for elevons and one for rudder)

All Up Flying weight 70.7grams (2.5 ounces)

MiniStingRay for Indoor Streamer Combat (1 min 13 sec)

I had a difficult time flying the Mini StingRay in our ultra small gym, but was no problem after adding the rudder control. I've beat this one quite severely without the need for any carbon what-so-ever. Amazing little plane.

To help shift the weight forward a bit more and to help protect the motor from the steeper nose down type heavy landings, I am planning a couple simple revisions for the lighter gear that I'm using. As well as countering for the slight added weight of the rudder servo/linkage. I'll post details in the future if you like.
Last edited by haiduk; Mar 09, 2014 at 03:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 09, 2014, 09:28 AM
AKA Don
Excellent flying! You were flying pretty fast for the small space.
Mar 09, 2014, 05:36 PM
Pronounced "High Duck"
That little plane slows down nice too. Kinda hard not to fly it fast though. It likes it.
Mar 09, 2014, 06:46 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
Nice job Duk! Getting the weight down to 2.5 oz AUW is fab.

Ken
Jul 18, 2014, 07:01 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
Be sure to visit and respond to this thread https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post28949353

It is imperative,
Ken
Oct 26, 2014, 06:51 PM
-S-
-S-
Just one more..... Just one...
Looks like I'm a little late to the game :-)

Placed and order for a kit because I'm dying to try out the MPF but I was hesitant to buy a box.

I have always built EPP birds till now, can't wait to try the foam and the bird.

Thanks for all the input folks made the shopping easyt - S
Oct 26, 2014, 08:38 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
Thank you for your order. We can also take your purchase of a box of MPF and cut your kits at a discount and ship them with the balance of the box in the original container and all for the same price shipping as the original box.

Ken
Oct 27, 2014, 07:08 PM
-S-
-S-
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Thank you for your order. We can also take your purchase of a box of MPF and cut your kits at a discount and ship them with the balance of the box in the original container and all for the same price shipping as the original box.

Ken
Awesome!

Thank you very much I'm excited to get it started.

- S
Nov 03, 2014, 09:05 PM
-S-
-S-

Aileron Question

Ken (or the group)

Question on the Ailerons, I'll be flying outdoors, obviously when calm :-)

Any reason not to put the control linkage on the top of the bird?

I've changed this setup on every wing I've bought/Built with no issues, but I'm curious if there is a reason to put them on the bottom other than for looks?

I'm liking the foam so far, thank you for the scraps it is a great sample.

I'm using the newer Bob Smith Foam-Cure, it takes a few more moments to dry but worked real well on the scrap foam I tested it on nice and strong.

I'm used to foam I can beat around (EPP) but I really like the way this stuff cuts I can't wait to give it a fly and see how I do.

I expect I'll be placing a Model Plane Foam order soon!

Anyone ever use the MPF to stiffen EPP up a bit? Seems like a winner to me

- S
Nov 03, 2014, 09:38 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
S,
No problem with putting the pushrods up top. She will fly just as well.

I actually like the Foam Cure a bit more than the Tac.

As you gain more experience you tend to blend various materials for their special properties.

Ken
Nov 03, 2014, 09:52 PM
-S-
-S-
Great stuff, Thank you, I think I'll be busy this winter and buying a lot of 2S batteries!

- S

Quote:
S,
No problem with putting the pushrods up top. She will fly just as well.

I actually like the Foam Cure a bit more than the Tac.

As you gain more experience you tend to blend various materials for their special properties.

Ken
Last edited by -S-; Nov 03, 2014 at 10:40 PM.
Nov 06, 2014, 11:32 PM
-S-
-S-

Dun

Just got her finished up, I really enjoyed working with the Model Plane Foam, it made some of my past construction challenges real easy.

I'm saving my pennies to buy a box of foam and some more kits the quality was great, everything fit together perfect it was an extreme pleasure to build.

I wound up using a HK Park 250-2050 and all I had was a 6x5 prop might be a bit much but I'll order some smaller ones, a 10 AMP esc and I have 350 MaH batteries.

I used the standard Rustoleum paint I use for EPP and as long as you keep it light and at a distance the foam handles it very well, I took some scraps and tested heavy coats and it did cause some distortion but that was expected I wanted to push it to see how much it can take and I'm impressed.

I bought the full range of Park 250 motors just in case one can never have too many motors

hopefully we get some good calm weather the next day or so and I'll report back.

nice little bird, this is the smallest bird I think I have ever had, but I enjoyed it so must it wont be my last!

Thank you Ken (and your gang) for caring enough to produce some great Foam and great planes.

-S
Nov 07, 2014, 09:07 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
S,
Just be sure your CG checks out. Adding heavy paint tends to make it tail heavy thereby necessitating adding ballast. 75% of the surface area is behind the CG.

Ken
Nov 07, 2014, 12:57 PM
-S-
-S-
Quote:
S,
Just be sure your CG checks out. Adding heavy paint tends to make it tail heavy thereby necessitating adding ballast. 75% of the surface area is behind the CG.

Ken
you got it, a light coat for orientation and I wound up 3.3 OZ Sans battery.

battery is charging so I can't weight it but it's a 350 2S

I'm afraid to look back and see how bad I did compared to others :-)

I'm happy with it for a first small build hard putting all the electronics on, I still need to cut down all the extra wires I left them all long until I figured out where stuff needed to go.

Thanks again! if it's still in one piece after the maiden I'll post pics!
Last edited by -S-; Nov 07, 2014 at 01:14 PM.
Nov 07, 2014, 01:57 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
S,
Just keep the rates down initially so that you only are displaceing the elevons about .25" and minimize linkage slop.

Ken

Quick Reply