Nov 15, 2012, 11:00 PM
Just wanna say "Thanks" to 'dz1sfb' for the idea and plans. Came across this while browsing the foamies section and wondered how I ever missed this. I didn't take a vid but I can say that it is Fun, stable, speedy, slow when you need to catch a breath and most of all....easy to build. I think I have a pic somewhere but I built mine outta 5mm Depron with a Kfm2 airfoil at 26" ws. Used a JT 19g 2100kv with a 6x5.5 APC and 18A esc.Finished off with x2 EMAX 9g servos. Was covered in packing tape and flew straight and true on maiden launch!

I enjoyed speeding circles around the field, like a pylon racer, pulling up and corckscrewing into the air, cut throttle and let it glide down. AUW was 190g and a little heavier than I wanted hence the glide slope was fast really. After 3 days of fun, it met mother earth on an over ambitious low level speed run . Broke the motor mount out and chipped off a small piece of the wing in cartwheel. HAHA!

Gonna re-build another for sure as soon as I clear off my other builds. Just stumbled on the micro 16" and I may just try that one for fun instead since I have some UMX guts somewhere.

So rest assured to others who wish to try this....go ahead! It's easy to cut out, easy to build up and works! Get the COG right and start adjusting to taste! Thanks again for the plans!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 15, 2012, 03:27 PM

bevel

Think that the wing needs to be beveled along with the ailerons for better movement in down direction. Saw one flying indoors the other day and had to have one. Looks like fun.
Dec 16, 2012, 11:45 AM

Finally fineshed mine

I finally finished one. It's been on the workbench for what seems like way too long. Very nicely cut kit. Everything fit. This is my first attempt at using packing tape to color a plane instead of painting. Kind of fun. I had a few problems with that but I think I keep doing it. I like the brignh colors. I felt a little patriotic on this one obviously.

Here's my setup;
Dualsky motor - XM2212MA-25 (2160KV) 10g
Castle esc - 9 Amp
Orange 6 Chan receiver (without box)
Hyp 320mA 3S
HXT-500 Servos (HK)
AUW - 111g

Some of this is probably overkill for this size plane but I used what I had in the boxes and the AUW doesn't seem too out of line with other posts. I will probably step down to a 2S and shave 10g but this is my starting point.

I see a lot of comments on moving the CG around but no measurements. Does anyone have a suggestion for a starting point after flying? I doubt that I will get a chance to fly today but it won't be too long before I try it out.

Later
Bruce
Dec 16, 2012, 11:50 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
Bruce,
The best place to start with the CG is at the aileron output shafts. Make your pushrod connections as slop free as possible.

Nice color scheme!

Ken
Dec 16, 2012, 02:37 PM
Well, I did get to get out to fly a bit.. I think I'm just a whole bunch of a tad overpowered. At less than half throttle its like a rocket. Anything more than half and forget it.. Gonna step back to the 2s but that is a tomorrow thing.

When I got it throttled back it was a hoot. Even at this heavier weight (111g) it will still float when needed and go like crazy with a little power.

B
Dec 16, 2012, 02:52 PM
AKA Don
Yeah, with almost 2200 Kv even 2S is going to be serious fast. What prop did you use?
Dec 17, 2012, 08:53 AM
Well...... All I had was a 7x4 to try it out. It was Sunday with noplace to get a different one and I wanted to try it out and the wind died down for a bit and it was really nice out and ......... Gonna step that down too.
Jan 18, 2013, 08:31 PM
For glue could a guy use welder glue or contact cement?
Jan 19, 2013, 09:09 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by two-stroke
For glue could a guy use welder glue or contact cement?
Welders or contact cement will melt the foam. Gorilla glue, Foamtac, or Bob Smith's new product work well.

Ken
Jan 25, 2013, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Welders or contact cement will melt the foam. Gorilla glue, Foamtac, or Bob Smith's new product work well.

Ken
Thank you for your reply, I have one on the way as well as the foam tac. I plan on running this set up
Turnigy 1811 2000kv
10amp esc. (A little big but safe)
350mah 2s
5g hxt500 servos
5x3 prop
Excited to get together a fly hopefully this set up works well!
Last edited by two-stroke; Jan 25, 2013 at 10:11 PM.
Jan 26, 2013, 06:51 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
Quote:
Thank you for your reply, I have one on the way as well as the foam tac. I plan on running this set up
Turnigy 1811 2000kv
10amp esc. (A little big but safe)
350mah 2s
5g hxt500 servos
5x3 prop
Excited to get together a fly hopefully this set up works well!
TS,
Perfect setup. Just keep everything forward and any painting and trim light. Also as little slop as possible in the control surface/servo connections. You can run up to a 7x3.5 GWS prop on that setup. Motor gets just warm, and this prop lasts longer on landings.

Best wishes,
Ken
Feb 05, 2013, 07:59 PM
Colin Williams

Epp

Brilliant looking model. Any thoughts on building this from 6mm EPP or too heavy?
Feb 05, 2013, 08:21 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guttedgeek
Brilliant looking model. Any thoughts on building this from 6mm EPP or too heavy?
Even in 1.9 lb PCF, 6mm EPP should be fine. If you want to keep the performance up, just do a good job of rounding the leadeing edges and it should be fabulous. Most folks don't and it shows up in the form of drag.The carbon strategy should be fine as well for EPP.

However with this design in MPF it is plenty stout as many combat missions have attested to.

Might have to give the EPP a shot. I believe I have some.

Ken
Feb 17, 2013, 06:29 PM
Hey Ken,

Ihave a pile of fan fold I would like to build on of these out of do u see a hardware pack alone for these (motor mount,control horns, and spars). Let me know.
Feb 17, 2013, 06:45 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thread OP
Quote:
Hey Ken,

Ihave a pile of fan fold I would like to build on of these out of do u see a hardware pack alone for these (motor mount,control horns, and spars). Let me know.
If you really want it I can send all the carbon cut to size which helps with shipping as well. Shoot me a PM and I will give you a quote with shipping. Give me a shipping zip as well.

Ken

Quick Reply