Oct 13, 2012, 07:14 PM
jrb
jrb
Thread OP
Discussion

1/4 Scale PA-18 Super Cub ARF by Hangar 9 (HAN4540)

Very nice -- tempting too!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...arf-HAN4540#t1
to remove ads between posts
Oct 13, 2012, 08:36 PM
I ordered mine
Oct 16, 2012, 09:27 PM
I'm in. This is the plane I soloed in. Can't wait to do electric with a sound system. Nice detail!
Oct 18, 2012, 04:30 AM
I have to confes I'll be running an ASP 160 4 stroke twin converted to gas. Will not only sound awsome but be squeeky clean and super reliable.
Oct 21, 2012, 10:32 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nuts 181
I have to confes I'll be running an ASP 160 4 stroke twin converted to gas. Will not only sound awsome but be squeeky clean and super reliable.
Not as squeaky clean and and super reliable as my giant scale electrics...

This one is tempting me as well......
Dec 18, 2012, 10:17 AM

Help with Tank Size

I am trying to find the tank size that comes with this model. It is not listed in the parts. Can someone reply with the fuel tank capacity in ounces?
Thanks.
Dec 18, 2012, 07:05 PM
Just bought one can not wait????????????/
Dec 23, 2012, 10:11 AM
I went to the LHS, and the fuel tank is included in the kit. It looks like a 20 oz tank. I wanted to know the fuel capacity to calculate the equivalent weight in batteries. A 10S 4500 mah battery will weigh about the same as a full 20 oz fuel tank. If you go 8S 5000 mah on the Power 110, you will be a a couple of ounces lighter, but not much difference.

Then I looked up the spec weight w/ muffler on the gas engine, and it is 1000g heavier than the Power 160+ESC. This is a lot of nose weight, and I don't think you can move the batteries that far forward to accommodate the CG difference.

So my conclusion is you may need about 2 lb of ballast in the nose for the electric version, so I plan to accomplish this using 5" speakers and a sound system. These are just preliminary estimates, and I won't know for sure until I get the kit and do a weight and balance. However, the guys getting the Hangar 9 P-47 and installing electric also need to add about 2 lbs ballast, so these numbers seem to be in the ball park.
Last edited by tclaridge; Dec 23, 2012 at 10:23 AM.
Dec 23, 2012, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge
I went to the LHS, and the fuel tank is included in the kit. It looks like a 20 oz tank. I wanted to know the fuel capacity to calculate the equivalent weight in batteries. A 10S 4500 mah battery will weigh about the same as a full 20 oz fuel tank. If you go 8S 5000 mah on the Power 110, you will be a a couple of ounces lighter, but not much difference.

Then I looked up the spec weight w/ muffler on the gas engine, and it is 1000g heavier than the Power 160+ESC. This is a lot of nose weight, and I don't think you can move the batteries that far forward to accommodate the CG difference.

So my conclusion is you may need about 2 lb of ballast in the nose for the electric version, so I plan to accomplish this using 5" speakers and a sound system. These are just preliminary estimates, and I won't know for sure until I get the kit and do a weight and balance. However, the guys getting the Hangar 9 P-47 and installing electric also need to add about 2 lbs ballast, so these numbers seem to be in the ball park.
tclaridge:
I picked mine up yesterday. Stripping the covering Cubs should be covered in fabric. this is a very nice kit with some nice attention to detail.
I don't understand the issue you seem to have with the C/G. both gas and glow airplanes are balanced with the fuel tank empty.
The batteries are just behind the firewall and more than make up the weight difference between the 160 and a gas engine. Also the 160 is mounted farther away from the firewall. I would think that by the time you add an ESC is going to come out as a wash. I've also got the P-47 that is going to get an "E" conversion. However a couple of projects jumped que on the P-47. For now the Cub is in progress as the main project on the bench is waiting for parts
Dec 23, 2012, 10:55 PM
RiBell, are you doing the Cub electric?
Dec 24, 2012, 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge
RiBell, are you doing the Cub electric?
Yes:
E-Flite Power 160. I've got one wing panel recovered with Solartex and the other one stripped. Then it's on to the fuselage. I've got some 1/4 scale pinking tape on order from "pink-it" Just to add some surface detail. It's a secondary project right now. As I wait for parts to arrive for the P-38. I've also got a 1/4 scale IKON-N-WST Super Cub that was going to be "E" powered. After checking out this Hangar 9 kit and the fact that it's "E" power ready. It looks like it'sa lot less work to get a 1/4 Cub in the air with this kit over finishing the IKON kit. Lift struts/ landing gear/ lights are all worked out already.
Rick
Dec 24, 2012, 02:53 PM
Rick, sounds good. Keep us posted on how the batteries install, and your CG.
Jan 15, 2013, 07:06 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
Rick, I would like to know how you plan to finish off the Solartex, and where did you buy it? Tom
Jan 15, 2013, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith
Rick, I would like to know how you plan to finish off the Solartex, and where did you buy it? Tom
Hey Tom:
It's been a long time. We've come quite a ways since talking about the GWS Beaver and all the mods we were doing to it.
It has taken a little more than a 10 meter roll to recover the Super Cub. Got everything covered except the stab and elevators from a single 10 meter roll. Solar-Tex comes coloured just like the plastic films so no paining is necessary. The recover was done with white Solar-Tex. I ordered scale rib tapes from "Pink-it" also in white. before the scale tapes get ironed onto the airplane I'll be adding the rib stitching detail while glue drops can be used to simulate rib stitching a company here in B.C. does rib stitching on a tape that already has the spacing. So it's put on the tape for the "Scale Rib Stitch" cover it with the Pink-it. maybe wipe a little bit of chalk to add some weathering and a light coat of clear. On you side of the boarder Id order Solar-Tex from Balsa USA. In Canada there is a giant scale retailer in Ontario called AMR and that is where Im ordering my Solar-Tex from.
Rick
Jan 15, 2013, 07:48 PM
OH here's a picture taken from the rib stitch guy's site

Quick Reply