Apr 14, 2015, 08:26 AM
mkpatrick
I've even crammed a 4S 3600 in there.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2015, 09:58 AM
mkpatrick
I'm using a 60Amp ESC, I was wondering if people could post the largest prop they've used with this plane.
I have the Waco motor on this one and I'm wondering what the largest prop I can put on it without striking it.
I have a 13X8 on it now, I was gonna go home and see how much headroom in power/energy/amps I have for propping up further.
I remember measuring this before but can't remember now the data.
Apr 15, 2015, 12:03 AM
I just bought a Gee Bee from Grayson Hobby

I am still not sure what connector is on the esc for the battery, but the on-line pdf makes it look like a deans??

My paraboard is for EC3, so I try to keep all of my batteries like that, or buy adaptors to either fit the airplane or to fit my paraboard, which ever makes the most sense.

I'll pickup some 4s batteries from ValueHobbies once I find out what type of connector I need.
Apr 15, 2015, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer14 View Post
I just bought a Gee Bee from Grayson Hobby

I am still not sure what connector is on the esc for the battery, but the on-line pdf makes it look like a deans??

My paraboard is for EC3, so I try to keep all of my batteries like that, or buy adaptors to either fit the airplane or to fit my paraboard, which ever makes the most sense.

I'll pickup some 4s batteries from ValueHobbies once I find out what type of connector I need.
The Geebee Comes with a T-plug(deans) connector. We also have deans to ec3 adapters in stock so you can keep using your EC3 paraboard setup.... http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...or-p-1433.html (this will convert from the ESC deans to allow you to use an EC3 battery)

Edit: we also have an EC3 to deans adapter, so you could plug into the ec3 paraboard and charge a deans battery, however I would advise against having multiple connected at once on a paraboard, it will be a recipe for short/fire(seen similar accidents happen with "connector squids")
Last edited by Will_GH; Apr 15, 2015 at 01:12 AM.
Apr 15, 2015, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_GH View Post
The Geebee Comes with a T-plug(deans) connector. We also have deans to ec3 adapters in stock so you can keep using your EC3 paraboard setup.... http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...or-p-1433.html (this will convert from the ESC deans to allow you to use an EC3 battery)

Edit: we also have an EC3 to deans adapter, so you could plug into the ec3 paraboard and charge a deans battery, however I would advise against having multiple connected at once on a paraboard, it will be a recipe for short/fire(seen similar accidents happen with "connector squids")
Thank you for the info!

I am a little surprised by your advice against multiple connections into a paraboard, as that is the whole idea in that you can parallel charge multiple batteries at once. Is there something I am missing here?

It seems most 4s batteries do not have the EC3 connector, so I was planning on getting a Deans to EC3 converter to allow plugging the battery into my EC3 paraboard for charging. I forget which side is male and which is female though. Battery = female?
Apr 15, 2015, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Thank you for the info!

I am a little surprised by your advice against multiple connections into a paraboard, as that is the whole idea in that you can parallel charge multiple batteries at once. Is there something I am missing here?

It seems most 4s batteries do not have the EC3 connector, so I was planning on getting a Deans to EC3 converter to allow plugging the battery into my EC3 paraboard for charging. I forget which side is male and which is female though. Battery = female?
A deans connector on a wire extension can easily contact another connector and short out.
I'm not recommending against parallel boards, I love them, just not using with an unshielded connector on an extension hanging loose from them.
Last edited by Will_GH; Apr 15, 2015 at 12:11 PM.
Apr 15, 2015, 09:24 PM
Oh ok, now I understand what you mean. Certainly with the deans, and how they expose the contacts themselves, they surely could short out on something.

Super excited here waiting for the Gee Bee to arrive!!!
Apr 16, 2015, 11:51 PM
I see my airplane is in the Midwest in transit to my house on the west coast, so should be here this weekend.

I ordered a couple of batteries, and after much searching and comparisons, I decided to get large 4s batteries, but with a smaller C rating to save $20 overall.

I ended up getting two 4s 3000mah 20C/30C batteries. Not a race horse for discharge, but that matches what I have been running in my Archer (stock EFlite battery), and felt it would be good enough for my first while learning. I wanted the larger capacity to give me extended flight times, as I would rather fly longer than fly faster with a higher discharge rate. The 4s should give me an extra edge to make up the difference.
Apr 17, 2015, 06:07 AM
PSALM 14:1
You do have a bigger esc on hand for it right?
Apr 17, 2015, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerr74 View Post
Stock esc, dynam Waco motor (650kv) , Xoar 13x6.5, and a 4s 3,000 mAh battery. 100% throws 20% expo.
I'm following this guy
Apr 17, 2015, 02:52 PM
So you have a different motor for its? stock is a ~900KV motor if i remember right. designed for 3 cell use like the dynam At6

Amp draw could be different depending on elevation( air density) as well as other factors. Be careful you don't cook it.
Apr 17, 2015, 03:55 PM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
Thread OP
I few my GeeBee on 4S with stock motor, and the motor ran too hot. I switched to the Dynam Waco motor, because it was a direct bolt on, and I was very pleased with the performance of that motor with the 13x8 prop I was running in my Waco. Swapping to the Waco motor allows you to go up to 4S performance without stressing your power system.

PS I sold my GeeBee a while back, as well as my Dynam Waco. I bought another Waco, and now I am awfully close to buying another GeeBee. My next GeeBee will be painted yellow and black like my original one, if I pull the trigger.

-CC
Latest blog entry: From the CC Paint Shop
Apr 17, 2015, 03:57 PM
teaching to learn
Quote:
I'm following this guy
With the waco motor (bigger canister but lower rpm 650kv) it's pulling around 27 amps through the stock 40 amp esc. This set up is totally safe and mighty powerful.
Apr 17, 2015, 07:14 PM
mkpatrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy View Post
I few my GeeBee on 4S with stock motor, and the motor ran too hot. I switched to the Dynam Waco motor, because it was a direct bolt on, and I was very pleased with the performance of that motor with the 13x8 prop I was running in my Waco. Swapping to the Waco motor allows you to go up to 4S performance without stressing your power system.

PS I sold my GeeBee a while back, as well as my Dynam Waco. I bought another Waco, and now I am awfully close to buying another GeeBee. My next GeeBee will be painted yellow and black like my original one, if I pull the trigger.

-CC
Hey CC, I followed your lead and went Waco/13X8 and I use a 60A ESC.
How big of prop do you think I can swing with that combo?
I was thinking 14X5. What do you think?
Apr 17, 2015, 10:27 PM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
Thread OP
13x8 MAS (in my opinion) is as high as I would go with a MAS prop in that motor. With a 40C lipo, I was pushing about 55amps static. Of course APC and Xoar props are more efficient, so you will have to experiment with them on your own I guess. I went with the MAS because I put the chrome film on it, and preferred the shape. My next chrome prop will probably be a MAS nitro prop (as opposed to E prop) with the tips rounded and balanced. The nitro props pull less amps than the MAS E props. The MAS E props pull pretty dang hard though. Harder than APC in my experience. Wider paddle and cambered airfoil no doubt.

-CC
Latest blog entry: From the CC Paint Shop

Quick Reply