Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:46 PM
Find More Posts by Kassimdandago
Discussion

Lithium iron and lithium iron phosphate batt.

A lifeo4 and life batteries bought 1yr ago, failed to supply power. On investigation it was found out that in any one of them a line of paralell has completely, short circuited and another line has completely, open circuted after attempting to charge them @ 2 amps. Before then they were intended to keep them, charged as they were not to be used for more than a year. The problem occured after bringing them out, from the lengthy storage to be used again. I wondered what went wrong. The manufacturers claimed that they could be stable atleast up to 5yrs.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:02 AM
Find More Posts by JIM CALDWELL A
Charging at 2 amps may have been the problem, Life should not be charged like a Lipo battery, too many amps depending on size of pack.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:09 AM
Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Southern Pride
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
A lifeo4 and life batteries bought 1yr ago, failed to supply power.
Not all LiFePO4 are created equal.

Years ago I used only LiFePO4 cells made by A123 Systems to power my electric aircraft and these were mostl 2300 mAk cells which I charged at 20Amps. routinely. I had one 3S pack that I flew 6 min. flights in a very powerful e Flite Mini Ultra Stick and recharged it in 6 minutes. I flew it over 500 flights and it still was delivering over 2000 mAh capacity per flight.

Charles
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:27 AM
Find More Posts by cyclops2
Many years ago Everydayflyer convinced me to use them...A123 in my powertools.
I fully charged them on a Cell Pro 4 charger. Some retained 90 % after 2 or 3 years of storage.

I NEVER trickle charged any battery except Lead acid. Then ony at 13.6 volts from a I C constant voltage regulators I made. I have 4 small mower batteries on constant 13.6 vdc trickle charge for years. Still checking out on a hygrometer at + 75 %.

Hi Charles.
Great to see you still helping others in battery land.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:34 AM

Forgot

I have a stick type vacuum cleaner I converted to small A123 cells.

Abuse ?? Extreme !! I runn that pack down to 10 to 15 % every time. That allows a whole house vacuuming. Been doing it for years. still at 90 % +-. It even balances. I did make the pack from cells vwith equal voltages.

They are a Timex in batteries.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:07 PM
Find More Posts by jlloyd1995
Trying to get some info on A123's. I have some brand new 2300 mah A123 battery packs that have been sitting for about 2 years at 6.6 volts. Is this healthy? What is a good storage voltage and does it matter? How low can I safely discharge them for cycling?

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:16 PM
Find More Posts by mrforsyth
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlloyd1995 View Post
Trying to get some info on A123's.
Read up!!!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...01&postcount=2

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:57 PM
Find More Posts by jlloyd1995
Thanks!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:02 AM

I always fully charge & do a equalizing charge after each run down. The floor vaccuum cleaner wasrun down to 5 % this morning. Did a full ...Cell Pro 4... recharge & balancing. 100 %.

Cells read +- .01 volts after balancing & auto shutoff..........No other batteries can ever come close to that after 5 years of that deep of overdischarging EVERYTIME.

I store at maximum recharge voltage.