This thread is privately moderated by aneikei, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 11, 2012, 04:52 AM
Imagination is my only limit
Thread OP
Help!

amazing and radical

I want to do something amazing and radical. I want to design and construct a high altitude drone using a modified X8 wing. Using a high altitude weather balloon I want to launch it into the stratosphere and just before balloon burst release it, all the while taking high res video and photos. My thought is to attack it one of two ways.

1. Launch using the weather balloon and program an auto release of the drone at a set altitude. All the while maintaining control of the drone via some long range control. My question is what product exists that can provide this long range control from my radio. I hear that Dragon Labs may be they way to go, but can even Dragon Labs reach that far? Were talking 100 - 190K feet here. Also what type of ground setup would I need? If I go this route what can I use to provide the long range video link? For this I hear that Hobby Wireless has a 1.2Ghz 1000mw video transmitter, would this suffice? I know to keep the radio control and video transmitter as far apart as possible on the drone to minimize interference.

2. Launch using the weather balloon but program the drone to be totally autonomous using gps way points to find it's way back. Hopefully however still being able to setup some sort of video transmission from it to see what it sees.

That being said I haven't done the math yet, but I would imagine the balloon would drift for some 20 - 50 miles or so as it ascends. Can the drone even travel that distance back, provided it has enough batteries?

I was thinking about launching the balloon from the west and let the drone glide back on and through the jet stream to give it good a tailwind without having to use too much of its own power as it makes its way back home. Also once released from the balloon, can the drone itself even maintain lift at that altitude, or will it fall back to earth until the air is dense enough to provide trust and lift?

Any and all comments/advice are greatly appreciated and welcomed. Thank you.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply