Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:35 PM
Flyextreme is offline
Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Sure it'll work
Flyextreme's Avatar
So for now at least, if I don't use preset, and want the plane with best CG for performance, I could simply put 1 or 2 clicks up trim to launch, then trim 1 or 2 back after push over. I realize this is not ideal, but just may work at this point in time.

Bill
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:01 PM
bwill6 is offline
Find More Posts by bwill6
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyextreme View Post
So for now at least, if I don't use preset, and want the plane with best CG for performance, I could simply put 1 or 2 clicks up trim to launch, then trim 1 or 2 back after push over. I realize this is not ideal, but just may work at this point in time.

Bill
Sounds to me like a recipe for disaster. If I did this, I'm sure I'd eventually forget to add the up trim before launch and I'd end up lawn darting or impaling somebody.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:05 PM
cptsnoopy is offline
Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Where is the lift?
cptsnoopy's Avatar
I flew DLG's for over a year with my DX-7 and no launch preset. It worked fine but I do prefer having a preset after having tried it both ways.

Charlie
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:27 PM
JamesCH is offline
Find More Posts by JamesCH
Falling with style
JamesCH's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee View Post
JamesCH, I understand point 1, but why would you need points 2 and 3?
ThomasLee,

By pressing the launch switch, it
1. kills the rudder control on the rudder stick
2. authorizes elevator control on the rudder stick - with reduced rate of course -
3. mixes rudder stick at each stage to different wing cambers

In other words, I momentarily turn the rudder stick into a "launch-control stick"

It does control the elevator and the wing camber all in one analog stick.
Pitching up: stick to the Left -> elevator up, negative camber
Zooming: stick at neutral -> elevator neutral, negative camber
Pushing over: stick to the Right -> elevator down, positive camber

So, once the elevator and camber are mixed in through the stick, full launch control is made by movement of only my left thumb in a linear fashion - starting from the Left and finishing at the Right -. And it is analog, too!

Once the push over is made at the end of launch, the launch button is released and the rudder stick will fly the rudder as normal.

My launch switch is not a "preset-value switch", it just works as an authorization button.
Last edited by JamesCH; Oct 12, 2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:31 PM
Fly2High is offline
Find More Posts by Fly2High
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Fly2High's Avatar
I am sure that for some not having a launch preset could result in pilots throwing the plane upward which has been said to reduce launch height as well. If they do not throw it upward, they will have the chance of a loop or poor launch height performance. The speed mode will need to be adjusted somewhere in between what is needed to rotate a launch and for running from sink. Neither mode will be ideal.

To me, there are too many reasons for a right handed thrower to have a launch preset and a neutral Cg.

I think it will result in the best height, best throwing style and best performance after launch from a plane.

Frank
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:02 PM
kenh3497 is online now
Find More Posts by kenh3497
Just Another Brick in the Wall
kenh3497's Avatar
When I got my new A9 I tried to use the two position switch on the left side. I thought I could switch it just fine. Turns out it was a real job and failed 9 times out of ten. I bit the bullet and moved switches. Took all of 15 minutes and a soldering iron.

It is much easier to release a momentary switch.

My TS1 seems not to need a preset in the "wind". It also seems I'm dialing back the preset as my launches become stronger.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:10 PM
Fly2High is offline
Find More Posts by Fly2High
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Fly2High's Avatar
I like the toggle swich on my Jr XP9303.

When I throw, my hand naturally clenches as I release and since my index finger rests on that switch, it takes just a moment after launch to switch it down.

besides, it takes no effort to know if launch mode is off or on since the toggle is easy to feel adn I know which position is which.

I am so use to it, I am not sure I could get use to a pushbutton momentary switch.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:21 PM
davidjensen is offline
Find More Posts by davidjensen
Will fly for food
davidjensen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
I like the toggle swich on my Jr XP9303.

When I throw, my hand naturally clenches as I release and since my index finger rests on that switch, it takes just a moment after launch to switch it down.

besides, it takes no effort to know if launch mode is off or on since the toggle is easy to feel adn I know which position is which.

I am so use to it, I am not sure I could get use to a pushbutton momentary switch.
I agree completely. I have the Heli version of the 9303 which has a momentary (spring loaded lever) switch on the back left side. It is all too easy to pull the switch with the side of my index finger and release it when needed.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:00 PM
ThomasLee is online now
Find More Posts by ThomasLee
ThomasLee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesCH View Post
ThomasLee,

By pressing the launch switch, it
1. kills the rudder control on the rudder stick
2. authorizes elevator control on the rudder stick - with reduced rate of course -
3. mixes rudder stick at each stage to different wing cambers

In other words, I momentarily turn the rudder stick into a "launch-control stick"

It does control the elevator and the wing camber all in one analog stick.
Pitching up: elevator up, negative camber
Zooming: elevator neutral, negative camber
Pushing over: elevator down, positive camber

So, once the elevator and camber are mixed in through the stick, full launch control is made by movement of only my left thumb in a linear fashion. And it is analog, too!

Once the push over is made at the end of launch, the launch button is released and the rudder stick will fly the rudder as normal.

My launch switch is not a "preset-value switch", it just works as an authorization button.
Thanks for the explanation James, I can't imagine how hard it will be to launch consistently and how easy it would be to make an error when you're trying to do all those in milliseconds.... hope I'm wrong!

Having trimming my launches with instant height feedback I can say that even a trim or two of elevator OR camber off optimal hurts height, most notably during the straight portion of the launch.
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Vibe Assembly Instructions
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:40 PM
jcats is offline
Find More Posts by jcats
Launch high. Fly low.
Wow! That's a lot of stick manipulation.
It really doesn't have to be that complicated.
-CG the plane (personal preference here) and trim for straight and level flight (especially on speed mode).
-set switch/button/stick for momentary and controlled, at the very least, up elevator (aileron camber and rudder are optional)

That should be it. keep it simple.

While you're at it, get that neck strap and make it a hand strap on the transmitter so it doesn't try to fly away while you're launching.

Soar!
Jun
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:27 AM
Flyextreme is offline
Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Sure it'll work
Flyextreme's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwill6 View Post
Sounds to me like a recipe for disaster. If I did this, I'm sure I'd eventually forget to add the up trim before launch and I'd end up lawn darting or impaling somebody.
Ok, scratch that.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:14 AM
austinhlg is online now
Find More Posts by austinhlg
Registered User
@flyextreme what Tx are you using. This is one of the easiest mixes to dial in. I have programmed txs I am unfamiliar with for this in 5 min. I'm sure we can steer you in the right direction.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:05 AM
JamesCH is offline
Find More Posts by JamesCH
Falling with style
JamesCH's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee View Post
Thanks for the explanation James, I can't imagine how hard it will be to launch consistently and how easy it would be to make an error when you're trying to do all those in milliseconds.... hope I'm wrong!

Having trimming my launches with instant height feedback I can say that even a trim or two of elevator OR camber off optimal hurts height, most notably during the straight portion of the launch.
That's exactly where a computer radio comes in, to put those otherwise complicated tasks into a simple and intuitive package to operate.

Putting all programing complications aside, my final result is a control that needs only one-stick movement that follow 3 basic stages of launch. I'll say that's very simple and intuitive
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:01 PM
JimZinVT is online now
Find More Posts by JimZinVT
let's FLY!
JimZinVT's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyextreme View Post
I may have to try and find a way to make my TX tray/strap work because it's hard to hold the radio very long.

Bill
Bill, you may want to try a side strap on your transmitter. Here's a thread Jun posted a while back showing how he did it. I've been meaning to set one up on my Tx but haven't gotten around to it yet. I was using a neck strap at first, but that didn't work well with DLG launches.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:54 PM
Kevin Cox is offline
Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
EDF Jet Jam 2016, June 16-19
Kevin Cox's Avatar
I am also a newbie. July marked a full year with my Taboo GT and I played with presets briefly. I am left handed so I can 'hold in' elevator during the launch by laying my thumb across the base of the stick as I gripped the TX. This worked well at first, however, I have now reached the point where now I also need rudder during the launch (I guess that means I'm getting better)....so my advice..do the presets NOW! Trying to re-learn the correct process has not been fun.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Heklp..! Futaba 10c Launch preset Mykro Radios 9 May 14, 2012 05:37 PM
Question Hitec Eclipse DLG launch presets? johngo Hand Launch 10 Nov 24, 2004 12:36 AM
Adding Elevator Launch Preset to JR631 marctrudeau Hand Launch 1 Apr 10, 2003 10:48 AM