This thread is privately moderated by bobepine, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 09, 2012, 09:23 AM
Trader Rating: 3
Last edited by Gavinxman; Nov 13, 2012 at 10:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2012, 12:22 PM
Trader Rating: 206
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavinxman
I'm sure I changed SS . It's still comes up and back and turns right . By the time I've tried to correct it I just let it land or crash witch ever comes 1st lolo. Buy I'm not going to get hurt or let it hurt anyone else or my property lol. I'll try setting up the new dx8 with it and I've gotten good at learning the kk2 . This will be the 3rd tx with the quad and will be the last so going from tx to tx I'm sure set me back a few clicks but I'll spend lots of time with this set up since its my primary tx and as of now it's my only tx lol. 9x is outa here and dx5 sold . Thanks Chris for all your help .just to be clear and I'm sure everyone can tell by my post it's not the quad it's me and my tx or was the tx. Although It should have hovered stable with the dx5 with all ch at 0 but for some reason it as I've said comes up and back and turns to the right and when it comes up it pick up the right side front faster . In other words it doesn't come up all togeather it comes up on the right side faster then will turn right in a circle if I don't try and control it . Then by the time I chase it down it needs to be landed or I let it fall to the ground before hitting anything or damaging the quad witch I've already bent 1 arm with it/me doing that . I'll get it figured out . Sorry for posting here but this is the only place I can get help or answers since there's nobody else here that flys quads . The 2 quads I have that I fly almost daily belong to a friend that works out of town and he never Fkys them even when he's home so he just leave them with us . 1 has kk2 1 has naza and I can fly the crap out of both of them but they where set up with his futaba 9c and both quads built by same builder using the tx to set up and shipped that way . So he nor I have learned a thing about set up as they fly perfect right out of the box . So yes I can fly decent but I need to learn how to set this quad up with the TX I'm going to stick with and calm it way down . Thanks for all the help and your patience . Chris as soon as you start new orders I want a 475 without the black and I'll use 1 of mt cc3d or possibly the REVO but Im pretty sure I'll wait for the REVO to work threw its issues if in fact there are any as I know the cc3d is polished and ready to go . Thanks guys
Are you able to make a video to show this? I'm also curious about your props configuration. Can you post a picture of the quad at worse?

You're missing something in your setup. This should fly for you. You saw the video I sent you. Flew perfectly fine like all the others. Something is amiss, and seeing that you tried multiple radios, I suspect your issue is RX related (connections) or props related.

Creepy 1 had issues recently and he assured me he had everything connected right but still had problems. Turns out it was not connected right at all. Same think happened to me with a KK2 a while back. I mislabeled some wires and I was having a real tough time figuring out what was going on.

Best,
Chris

PS: You can post for help in this thread all you want, mate. No worries whatsoever.
Nov 09, 2012, 12:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by shafter
Chris

How do you like CC3D vs KK2 ?

I sold mine unopened, to fund a whole package of OpenPilot Revolution kickstarter + GPS V8 + OPlink modem.

Plus i was afraid, it would not be easy to setup without bluetooth module or LCD screen.
It's a bit early to tell. I certainly prefer the ease of setup on the KK2. The CC3D is a bit of a learning curve for me and I'm computer stupid.

Here's where I'm at with setup so far. I managed to setup my radio. I managed to calibrate my ESCs (20 amps SimonK RCX), I managed to do PI tuning successfully (for rate mode only), and I managed to set the quad to fly in rate mode, AKA acrobatics mode. I setup the rate to 500 degrees per second and it flips VERY fast. Too fast, in fact. It's about the same as flying the KK2 with about 130 in stick scaling. It will pull a double flip ten feet off the ground. I will reduce that on my next field tuning session.

The Open Pilot software is very intuitive and user friendly, but despite that, it's still a bit complicated based on the sheer volume of available settings. Essentially, I will very soon give up on it as long as I get my quad to fly the way I want it. My limited experience tells me that fine comb tuning is for the FPV guys who are after excellent imagery. Me? I just want something stable and aggressive, and the CC3D is stable and aggressive for me as of now. Far more stable than the KK2. They don't really compare in that regard.

Now I would like to be able to change from rate mode to attitude mode (self level) at the flick of a switch, but I have been unsuccessful setting that up so far. Seems like I have a different throttle input/curve in attitude mode and I get a lot of oscillation (only in attitude mode. No oscillation in rate mode) I will never fly auto level, but it would be nice to have it working so that if I lose orientation I can flip the switch and this would buy me time to get my orientation back. I'm sure I'll manage to set this up, though I may end up having to bother more experienced guys with some questions. I have to do my homework and read about this before I start asking questions.

But bottom line is I lie the CC3D for acro flying a lot so far. Very responsive and super stable. There is very little difference fro flying the KK2, except it stabilizes itself much better on flips recovery. I made a video today but the bloddy camere was set too low and half the footage is with the quad out of the frame.

I gave up on Multiwii a while back because it was a PITA for a computer stupid person like me, but I think I should have this one figured out within a week or two.

No low voltage alarm on the CC3D. I miss that. I will install a third party lipo alarm.

And finally, I think the OP board should be a lot more reliable in the long term. Less fragile parts like the LCD on the KK2, and I'm using an unbreakable cover on it so it makes for a very tough FC.

That said, you can get 3 kk2s for the same price....

Best,
Chris
Nov 09, 2012, 03:16 PM
Trader Rating: 9
I received my Armattan 350 quad a few days ago and finally got a break from the wind. The wind was blowing about 10 to 12 mph during the video. The only thing that I did to the quad was add some visual aids for orientation. I also dropped the stick scaling down from what Chris had in it but have been bumping it back up slowly do get used to it. It is set at 95 in the video with zero expo in DX-7S TX. So far I haven't added one click of trim to it which is a testament to Chris's ability to build a great quad! This is my third flight with the quad.

Sorry for the quality of the video as it is just a keychain camera and I haven't figured out how to set the date and time stamp. Hopefully Santa will get me a GoPro for Xmas!

Armattan 350 in driveway (5 min 31 sec)
Nov 09, 2012, 03:46 PM
Trader Rating: 17
That looks really fun i can't wait to get mine. What did you use for the visual aid thing on the front of the quad and how did you attach it.
Nov 09, 2012, 05:11 PM
Trader Rating: 31
Mother warned you about me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine
Are you able to make a video to show this? I'm also curious about your props configuration. Can you post a picture of the quad at worse?

You're missing something in your setup. This should fly for you. You saw the video I sent you. Flew perfectly fine like all the others. Something is amiss, and seeing that you tried multiple radios, I suspect your issue is RX related (connections) or props related.

Creepy 1 had issues recently and he assured me he had everything connected right but still had problems. Turns out it was not connected right at all. Same think happened to me with a KK2 a while back. I mislabeled some wires and I was having a real tough time figuring out what was going on.

Best,
Chris

PS: You can post for help in this thread all you want, mate. No worries whatsoever.
It's true! I was dead set on everything being pluged properly, and even double checked everything. Still I missed that motor 3 was swapped with motor4. My suggestion? Start over, and go slowly! You'll pe surprised how simple of an error you may have missed. I was quite embarrassed, and still swear that I double checked everything. Double checking wasn't enough. In the end a posted a picture, and within 60 seconds my error was pointed out. So try everything again from the start by re-plugging EVERYTHING. Then if it still fails to help post a pic here.
Nov 09, 2012, 07:05 PM
Trader Rating: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactek
That looks really fun i can't wait to get mine. What did you use for the visual aid thing on the front of the quad and how did you attach it.
It's just a piece of plastic tubing that I stuck through a ball off of some helicopter training gear I just bent it and pushed it down the end of the booms. Hopefully it's just temporary as I am getting more familiar with the quad. I love flying this thing and will get another from Chris when gets back to building the new frames.

Jerry
Nov 09, 2012, 07:42 PM
Last edited by Gavinxman; Nov 13, 2012 at 10:16 AM.
Nov 09, 2012, 07:47 PM
Last edited by Gavinxman; Nov 13, 2012 at 10:17 AM.
Nov 09, 2012, 07:54 PM
Nov 09, 2012, 08:17 PM
Trader Rating: 31
Mother warned you about me!
So you calibrated all the escs, set motor configuration, checked motor spin directions, and everything is not reversed in the reciever test correct?
Nov 09, 2012, 11:41 PM
Thread OP
The motors HAVE to spin in the right direction, I flew this thing. So unless he disconnected motors, then it should be set already. If you did disconnect motors, you'd better make sure to check motor rotation.

When the quad is in safe mode, what does the screen say? Self level ON or OFF?

Can't see your props configuration from the pics you posted.

Best,
Chris
Nov 10, 2012, 03:44 AM
Trader Rating: 1
Gavin.

All your pics looks OK.

Go to motor layout in KK2 and check there that you are set for: "X quadcopter"
Nov 10, 2012, 08:43 AM
Nov 10, 2012, 09:20 AM
Last edited by Gavinxman; Nov 13, 2012 at 10:18 AM.

Quick Reply