Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:00 PM
Find More Posts by RC Erik
Discussion

Pictures of D.I.Y battery trays.......

Hey Everyone, I am almost finished with my 1/4 scale Cub. Powered by a E-flite 160 motor with 2x 5000mah 5S lipo packs.

I am at a stand still right now trying to make a battery tray that will allow ease of removal/install and will keep the batteries still.

Anyone have some photo's I could use for reference?

Thanks, Erik
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:07 PM
Find More Posts by Zagabond

big tray for my 10s1p A123 packs

Eric,

Here is the setup I am using on my 10s pack for my Tiger Moth. I make a tray from luan plywood, and it slides into place in the forward part of the battery compartment. Then I mounted tee nuts to use allen head screws to secure it in place.

Jess
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:22 AM
Thanks Zagabond!
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:45 AM
Find More Posts by drakison
oooh....this thread is brilliant. I need to build two battery trays and I have severe builders block...LOL. More pictures please!!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:09 AM
Find More Posts by KOMET 44
D.G.B.
Here are my pictures of the tray(or as I call it "surf board") for my 80" adrian page cub.Has a tag in front that the board goes into and a wing nut in the rear.Battery held in place with velcro pads and a trap.Also use one #64 elastic on the back just in case.
stefanP
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:46 PM
Find More Posts by drakison
Anyone have pictures of battery hatches they have built on the top of the fuse?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:37 PM
Find More Posts by Cabledawg1
I just got mine together... Heres a link to that post with pics.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=861
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:28 PM
Find More Posts by SunDevilPilot
First tray is in my Sig 1/4 Cub. Plane gets 2 5000 5S packs, stacked back to back on the tray. The tray slides into slots at the front of the fuselage and gets a single wingbolt at the rear to lock it in place.

The second model is my Aero-Works S2 Cub. This also gets 2 5000 5S packs but these are side by side. Again, a slot at the front and a single wingbolt at the rear.

Much easier to get batteries in and out with a tray.

SunDevilPilot
Old Nov 09, 2012, 01:40 PM
Thanks guys for the pics. I built a tray but would not fit due to the voltage regulator, RX battery, and low height towards the cowl area. I just slide them over the velcro'd bottom and strap them in.

28 flights so far and they havent moved!!!!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:25 PM
Find More Posts by cmala
customstandoffs
I built a tray in my hempel cub for the same power system. I'll see if I can find my pictures tomorrow.

It slides perfectly in the front. I put two carbon rods on the tray and they lock into a block I installed just behind the firewall. Then there is a carbon rod that I install in the back to keep it from sliding backwards.

Craig
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:40 PM
cmala, what prop size are you using?

I used an 18x8 and was getting 16 minutes flight time. And pulling 50 amps.

I just switched to 18x10 and now get 14 minutes, but it will stand on its nose at full throttle and stay their.

I am thinking of going up to maybe a 20x8? More torque but less straight line speed.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:44 PM
oops, I just saw your post on the other thread. You mentioned you have a 20 in prop and get about 9 minutes.

It will definitely hover with your prop.

Plus, I notice you live in alabama. I lived in Montgomery for 5 years, stationed at Maxwell AFB.
Last edited by RC Erik; Nov 13, 2012 at 09:50 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:46 PM
Find More Posts by cmala
customstandoffs
Wow small world. my wife is from montgomery and we still have a few friends there.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:49 PM
It has been 10 years since I left but I still remember living in Cedar Creek apartments near the Day St. gate to Maxwell.

Do they still have the Jubilee City Fest downtown?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:52 PM
Find More Posts by cmala
customstandoffs
I think so. We haven't been to it in a couple years