Oct 07, 2012, 08:10 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Which heli to buy next

I've had a Helizone Firebird for a couple of years now. I've done some weight removal, that's all as far as mods. It's my first rc copter and I love the thing but now I'm looking for something a little more advanced. My criteria are it has to come in under $50 USD, single main rotor, 4 channel, capable of outdoor flight (my back yard is well sheltered from the wind), and not have terribly slow FFF. I was thinking maybe a V911. I'd love to hear any other suggestions, thanks!

EDIT: I could go above $50, but probably no more than $75, if the extra cost was worth it for the quality or features of the copter. Also I should say I'm also considering something larger like a dark horse 9116. I already have a micro heli for indoors, might try something else.
Last edited by TheJawsOfDeath; Oct 07, 2012 at 08:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2012, 09:06 PM
Closed Account
I fly a v911, it's my first 4ch helicopter. It only took me a few hours to learn to fly it but I crashed it alot. Holds up very good, very durable and I havent had anything break after a month of abuse but a landing skid. The v911 is a Nine Eagles solo pro 260a clone, but the v911 comes with a nicer transmitter. Dont modify a v911 with metal swashplates and all though. It will fly like ass. Also I couldnt get the bnf version of the v911 to hold a bind so I sent it back, but I still have my old busted raggedy original v911.
Oct 07, 2012, 09:08 PM
Use the flybar young Padawan
their really isn't any heli for outdoors in that price range with a tx . the closest thing in a single rotor is this http://www.xheli.com/4chhe.html
just scroll down to see what you like . i don't know if their any good outside though
Oct 07, 2012, 09:10 PM
V911 RTF is great deal. If you are stateside Tmart has then for $42.00 w free shipping. You don't need to wait weeks. Bang good is good also.
Oct 07, 2012, 09:55 PM
Thread OP
I can get the double horse 9116 from ujtoys.com for just under $75, shipped. I've seen videos of it flying outdoors. Seems like a nice chopper...any thoughts on that model?
Oct 08, 2012, 01:42 AM
V911 BF for $28

and complete from $35 Check out Ebay
Oct 09, 2012, 12:26 PM
Thread OP
I've done some thinking and budgeting and came up with some different requirements. I can probably spend up to $200 USD, and I want something that'll let me learn to take my skill to the "next level". Flying outdoors is a must (my wife is getting REALLY annoyed with my coax buzzing the house inside) and that price needs to include transmitter.
Oct 09, 2012, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJawsOfDeath
I've done some thinking and budgeting and came up with some different requirements. I can probably spend up to $200 USD, and I want something that'll let me learn to take my skill to the "next level". Flying outdoors is a must (my wife is getting REALLY annoyed with my coax buzzing the house inside) and that price needs to include transmitter.
Blade mCP X
Oct 09, 2012, 01:09 PM
Cranky old fart
The Blade MCPx would be an interesting choice and something of a challenge. The V911 is a fun toy for the price and will teach you a little. A Blade 120SR is a better learning choice than the V911, it's also a bit bigger for outdoors. The DH 9116 is cheap for it's size and very easy to fly. It has considerable QC and reliability issues and won't teach you much that you don't already know. THe DH 9116 is pretty useless in wind, The V911 is a little better, the 120SR is a little better yet; the MCPx is far better. However, your experience and ability to handle wind counts the most.

An alternate to these small FP helis (120SR, V911, 9116) would be a small quad, like the Blade MQx or V929. Quads will out-perform any conventional FP heli and provide a wider learning experience, due to instant response and considerable movement authority.
Last edited by Balr14; Oct 09, 2012 at 01:15 PM.
Oct 09, 2012, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14
The Blade MCPx would be an interesting choice and something of a challenge. The V911 is a fun toy for the price and will teach you a little. A Blade 120SR is a better learning choice than the V911, it's also a bit bigger for outdoors. The DH 9116 is cheap for it's size and very easy to fly. It has considerable QC and reliability issues and won't teach you much that you don't already know.
I don't see a Blade 120SR taking someone to the next level (as he puts it). I wouldn't put that choice on the table, but that may just be me.
Oct 09, 2012, 02:40 PM
Thread OP
What I mean by "the next level" is eventually I want to be able to do aerial tricks, upside down flying, "stunt" maneuvers, like I see on youtube videos. I don't really even have the vocabulary to describe it, like I said I'm pretty new to this. I'm not ready to drop $400 plus on a really high end copter at this point. Just want something that I could use to build my skill level. The MCPx looks pretty nice, I could swing the price...also considering a quad. I do like the scale realism of a standard copter as opposed to a quad.
Oct 09, 2012, 03:13 PM
Cranky old fart
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeky
I don't see a Blade 120SR taking someone to the next level (as he puts it). I wouldn't put that choice on the table, but that may just be me.
I would agree, but a Helizone Firebird is a 3 channel coax. So, that's like worse than no experience. Even a 120SR will be a significant jump.
Oct 10, 2012, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJawsOfDeath
What I mean by "the next level" is eventually I want to be able to do aerial tricks, upside down flying, "stunt" maneuvers, like I see on youtube videos. I don't really even have the vocabulary to describe it, like I said I'm pretty new to this. I'm not ready to drop $400 plus on a really high end copter at this point. Just want something that I could use to build my skill level. The MCPx looks pretty nice, I could swing the price...also considering a quad. I do like the scale realism of a standard copter as opposed to a quad.
It is very old school to use a single heli to take you from hovering to aerobatics. We have got much cheaper and durable options available. Advances are happening so fast with micro helis that there is really no point in getting something expensive now. I would recommend that you buy something as cheap as possible with a reasonable performance and durability.. I have not owned or flown a V911 but the fastest ever growing heli thread on RCG cannot be wrong.
Oct 10, 2012, 02:30 PM
I have a couple Mcpx I'm looking to offload if ur interested shoot me a pm

Quick Reply