Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
Thread Tools
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:18 PM
derk is offline
Find More Posts by derk
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
derk's Avatar
how much of an effect do you think a slightly curved airfoil would have on the wings? would the flight speed drop and the inverted suffer? i really like the idea of a really slow flying plane.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:09 PM
AJWoods is offline
Find More Posts by AJWoods
Aircraft Designer Guy
AJWoods's Avatar
You could do that, or just add a few degrees of incidence to the main wing. Wing area is the same, so for a given CL, speed is the same. Slight camber would have a slightly higher CLmax than the flat plate, but with the blunt leading edge on both, it's doubtful they differ much in practice. The cambered section will have a steeper lift curve slope, so it will have the same CL at a lower angle of attack, less drag too. That's were adding a few deg incidence on the main wing would make for a slower cruise at normal looking fuselage attitudes. In the end a 10% increase on chord would have a more pronounced effect than these other changes. If you do want to add camber make sure to radius the leading edge, to take full advantage of the mod. Sorry for nerding out there...

-A
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AJWoods; Oct 07, 2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:16 PM
AJWoods is offline
Find More Posts by AJWoods
Aircraft Designer Guy
AJWoods's Avatar
Part labels for later use
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Giant Scale Lego Plane
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:30 PM
Gordon Johnson is offline
Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
in persuit of low wing loading
Gordon Johnson's Avatar
Adam,
That looks really super. The yellow and white colors really make it look nice. Yes, I do need to assemble the covered set of pieces I have. I need to get ours in the air for my oldest son. Strangely he has little interest in building. I'll probably build it, and then he'll fly it.

Gordon
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:19 PM
racie34 is offline
Find More Posts by racie34
road wart
racie34's Avatar
Adam,
is this 2mm depron? Sorry if its been posted and I didnt catch it.....Bruce
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:42 PM
AJWoods is offline
Find More Posts by AJWoods
Aircraft Designer Guy
AJWoods's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by racie34 View Post
Adam,
is this 2mm depron? Sorry if its been posted and I didnt catch it.....Bruce
Sorry, that's an obvious omission on my part. Everything is 3mm. The origional used Depron Aero, the second regular Depron. The new one is about 2.5g heavier.

-A
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Giant Scale Lego Plane
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:43 PM
racie34 is offline
Find More Posts by racie34
road wart
racie34's Avatar
Thankyou Adam
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:25 PM
Gordon Johnson is offline
Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
in persuit of low wing loading
Gordon Johnson's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIT KID View Post
You could do that, or just add a few degrees of incidence to the main wing. Wing area is the same, so for a given CL, speed is the same. Slight camber would have a slightly higher CLmax than the flat plate, but with the blunt leading edge on both, it's doubtful they differ much in practice. The cambered section will have a steeper lift curve slope, so it will have the same CL at a lower angle of attack, less drag too. That's were adding a few deg incidence on the main wing would make for a slower cruise at normal looking fuselage attitudes. In the end a 10% increase on chord would have a more pronounced effect than these other changes. If you do want to add camber make sure to radius the leading edge, to take full advantage of the mod. Sorry for nerding out there...

-A
Adam,
I agree with all this. This is one reason on some of my skeleton planes I use 1.1mm Zepron. It's somewhat heavy for its thickness, but stiff. My thought is that I get less of the blunt leading edge than I'd get with 3mm or 2mm Depron. It's a tradeoff. My hope it I get a smoother airflow that might actually work well with the undercamber airfoil. But, who knows for sure.

Gordon
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:29 PM
AJWoods is offline
Find More Posts by AJWoods
Aircraft Designer Guy
AJWoods's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Johnson View Post
Adam,
I agree with all this. This is one reason on some of my skeleton planes I use 1.1mm Zepron. It's somewhat heavy for its thickness, but stiff. My thought is that I get less of the blunt leading edge than I'd get with 3mm or 2mm Depron. It's a tradeoff. My hope it I get a smoother airflow that might actually work well with the undercamber airfoil. But, who knows for sure.

Gordon
Exactly. At this scale much of the performance is gained or lost at the leading edge. No reason you couldn't swap out the 3mm wing with a thinner cambered section. Should still be sufficiently strong.

-A
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Giant Scale Lego Plane
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:42 PM
I R Irv is offline
Find More Posts by I R Irv
Registered User
I R Irv's Avatar
Did I miss the CG somewhere, would it be 25% cord?
TODD
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:16 AM
AJWoods is offline
Find More Posts by AJWoods
Aircraft Designer Guy
AJWoods's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by I R Irv View Post
Did I miss the CG somewhere, would it be 25% cord?
TODD
Another good catch, 1/4 to 1/3 chord is fine.

-A
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Giant Scale Lego Plane
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:01 PM
glenn2626 is offline
Find More Posts by glenn2626
RC Connectors dot com
glenn2626's Avatar
I know you said that the pdf sheet is 12x24", but can I suggest that a scale somewhere would be a nice bonus, next time you produce them...

Thanks,

Glenn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Horrible "MX" connector on...
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:55 PM
AJWoods is offline
Find More Posts by AJWoods
Aircraft Designer Guy
AJWoods's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn2626 View Post
I know you said that the pdf sheet is 12x24", but can I suggest that a scale somewhere would be a nice bonus, next time you produce them...

Thanks,

Glenn
Plans updated with 1 inch scale.

-A
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Giant Scale Lego Plane
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:12 PM
Free is offline
Find More Posts by Free
"Free" in Christ! #F3P
Free's Avatar
Pretty plane!

Did you say the AUW somewhere?(sorry if I missed it)

Free
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:35 PM
AJWoods is offline
Find More Posts by AJWoods
Aircraft Designer Guy
AJWoods's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post
Pretty plane!

Did you say the AUW somewhere?(sorry if I missed it)

Free
30-33g depending on which foam and covering you use. This is with a TP 150mAh cell and the electronics out of an e-flite Extra 300.

-A
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Giant Scale Lego Plane


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Maybe Im just getting old or maybe just bold! aerogel Life, The Universe, and Politics 68 Aug 25, 2012 07:25 AM
Wanted Dynaflite Spitfire plans or kit fomocokid Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 10 May 15, 2012 06:51 PM
Wanted 3 views, plans or maybe a kit for a Mr. Mulligan??? SteveT. Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Jan 04, 2009 09:06 AM
Wanted Looking for a Canadair CL-415 ARF or kit, maybe plans rcdude01 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Oct 17, 2008 05:54 PM
Looking for plans for an aerobatic indoor depron plane (Minsai or similar maybe?) Erik Johansson Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 3 Oct 19, 2002 02:17 PM