Thread Tools
Dec 10, 2012, 09:47 AM
WMD
WMD
Registered User
WMD's Avatar
Excellent, thanks. Nope, no-one else yet, so you are the first. Ok chapter 1 (Grumman Wildcat) is yours. Thanks for the help.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 10, 2012, 09:31 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
OK, there you go. It should arrive before this entry is completed.
Dec 11, 2012, 09:39 AM
WMD
WMD
Registered User
WMD's Avatar
Nice work. OK, got that, chapter 1 is all done now, see here http://www.outerzone.co.uk/books/dis...ok=3&chapter=1 to have a look. It's twice as good now you can see some detail in the photos.

Anyone offering help with photos for the other chapters? So far that's 1 down, 14 to go.
Dec 11, 2012, 11:18 AM
Registered User
Steve, all I can say for now is Thank You.
Your dedicated hard work is very much appreciated by all those in the modeling community. The Outerzone is a great resource.
John
Dec 11, 2012, 02:28 PM
WMD
WMD
Registered User
WMD's Avatar
Thanks John. I'm just having fun, that's all. I like doing this.
Dec 13, 2012, 04:19 AM
WMD
WMD
Registered User
WMD's Avatar
No more offers to help with clear photos for the Towner and Boys 'Scale Model Aircraft That Fly' book?

Meanwhile, here's a simpler request: Does anyone have the wing rib former for the Keil Kraft Outlaw? The plan is on Outerzone here http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1307 but is missing the wing rib. Would be nice to have this particular plan complete.
Dec 14, 2012, 05:01 AM
WMD
WMD
Registered User
WMD's Avatar
Ok, hogal has kindly filled the gap by drawing up a plan for the Outlaw that shows a Clark Y rib.

Next request. Can someone please confirm (or not) that the Joe Wagner Dakota plan here http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=233 really is correct as drawn with 5 deg *left* thrust in the motor mount? Just checking. It looks all wrong, but I guess maybe that just is how it really is.
Dec 16, 2012, 09:57 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
No one has offered number two, Grumman F6F-3 Hellcat? I can send them.

By the way, I checked out the Wildcat photos on your site and they seem to have some sort of a cross-hatch background in grey. Is there some way I can prevent that when I scan them?
Dec 16, 2012, 10:22 PM
Registered User
Eclipse_7's Avatar
Would you consider adding year published to the tag matrix?
Dec 17, 2012, 05:23 AM
WMD
WMD
Registered User
WMD's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsabird View Post
No one has offered number two, Grumman F6F-3 Hellcat? I can send them.

By the way, I checked out the Wildcat photos on your site and they seem to have some sort of a cross-hatch background in grey. Is there some way I can prevent that when I scan them?
Thanks for the offer of chapter 2 of the book, yes please. No-one else has offered help on this particular job, and if they do I'll post on here to lket you know.

The fringing effect is a pain in the backside, it's an intereference effect between the pixel size on the printed paper and the DPI setting used to scan it. I think. I am not sure how best to get around it. I think changing the scan DPI might help (or not), but am frankly not sure. Any offers of help or explanation on this effect are most welcome.

Meanwhile, I have to say even with the fringing, your pics are 10 times better than my originals. I'm not too worried.

Edit, have just googled that for a bit, and the correct term i think is 'Moire Pattern' - there's some info here - http://www.creativepro.com/article/s...-no-more-moir- but this is only if you are interested, I'm not unduly worried about it, myself.
Last edited by WMD; Dec 17, 2012 at 05:39 AM. Reason: correct term is Moire, it seems.
Dec 17, 2012, 05:32 AM
WMD
WMD
Registered User
WMD's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse_7 View Post
Would you consider adding year published to the tag matrix?
That's an excellent idea. I'd love to do that, and it may happen soon. But I am not sure how best to deal with the gaps in the data though. With wingspan, I went through with aeromeddler's help and we checked that every single plan had a wingspan. With the year date, it's not so easy, and many plans (1,245 by my count, just now, using the advanced search) have no date becuase I simply don't have that information (they appear as year=0).

So... I welcome any suggestions how to deal with that. Off the top of my head, we could ignore those undated plans, for the purposes of a by-year-tagmatrix search. In fact one simple way would be to add 1 new field for 'show only plans dated before:' and a date picker. That would then be handy for builders searching for plans which are known to be old enough to satisfy some vintage competition entry rules.

Any thoughts?
Dec 17, 2012, 06:59 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Colonel Blink's Avatar
Lack of data in a field will always be a bugbear of any database like this. However, in my opinion where the info is known it would be great to have it viewable and searchable. I can only suggest that it is up to the users and supporters of Outerzone (which is all of us) to help by submitting the data wherever we find it missing. Until then having any undated stuff with either a 0 or some other character in the year field works fine. Everyone knows what it means.

As far as searching goes, as soon as someone goes to search by date, you could have an additional tickbox 'Include all undated plans?'. I don't know how many are undated, but at least this way b people wouldn't miss a plan because that information wasnt there. If people find that tiresome, then they don't tick the box.

Just idle thoughts from one who knows nowt about the technicalities of writing databases...
Last edited by Colonel Blink; Dec 17, 2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: spellling....
Dec 17, 2012, 07:40 AM
1:1 scale is fun!
ECBoehm's Avatar
Steve,
Thanks for putting up Sal Taibi designs on the random image on your home page. Sal passed away last week at 92. Great flying designs, my dad's favorite was the Brooklyn Dodger.
Dec 17, 2012, 02:40 PM
WMD
WMD
Registered User
WMD's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
Lack of data in a field will always be a bugbear of any database like this. However, in my opinion where the info is known it would be great to have it viewable and searchable. I can only suggest that it is up to the users and supporters of Outerzone (which is all of us) to help by submitting the data wherever we find it missing. Until then having any undated stuff with either a 0 or some other character in the year field works fine. Everyone knows what it means.

As far as searching goes, as soon as someone goes to search by date, you could have an additional tickbox 'Include all undated plans?'. I don't know how many are undated, but at least this way b people wouldn't miss a plan because that information wasnt there. If people find that tiresome, then they don't tick the box.

Just idle thoughts from one who knows nowt about the technicalities of writing databases...
Thanks Colonel. This has got me thinking now.

I have just had a go at testing this on the TagMatrix pages, and it works pretty well. I am lazy, so I started with the easiest option: if you select a year it just returns all plans dated *below* that year (incl) - and it ignores and does not return any plan dated as 0. There is currently no option to switch beteeen including those undated plans on not including them.

Have uploaded a new (for now) TagMatrix page here - http://www.outerzone.co.uk/advanced/...trix/index.asp - that lets you have a go. If you're not interested in the year then of course you can just ignore it and leave the year at 2012 to default to everything. But if (say) you do a reset and clear all the colour squares to grey dontcare (ie show every plan = total 3,762), but then click on year 1925, you get exactly 8 plans back. Which I think is pretty cool.

Let me know if that made sense. Or indeed if you want more tweaks adding.
Dec 17, 2012, 03:43 PM
Registered User
Eclipse_7's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
That's an excellent idea. I'd love to do that, and it may happen soon. But I am not sure how best to deal with the gaps in the data though. With wingspan, I went through with aeromeddler's help and we checked that every single plan had a wingspan. With the year date, it's not so easy, and many plans (1,245 by my count, just now, using the advanced search) have no date becuase I simply don't have that information (they appear as year=0).

So... I welcome any suggestions how to deal with that. Off the top of my head, we could ignore those undated plans, for the purposes of a by-year-tagmatrix search. In fact one simple way would be to add 1 new field for 'show only plans dated before:' and a date picker. That would then be handy for builders searching for plans which are known to be old enough to satisfy some vintage competition entry rules.

Any thoughts?
You hit the nail on the head, SAM has two years that are important. Prior to 1939 and prior to 1942. I'm not sure what other vintage competitions there are out there , but adding those specific years would be helpful for SAM at least.

As far as gaps in information go, has anybody cross-referenced the Outerzone with SAM's approved lists? I would not mind going through it and adding missing information as I find it.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Pls give your input on my IMU:) SeanR Multirotor Drone Electronics 0 Sep 19, 2012 09:15 PM
Discussion Gimme your input on my new website SilentHunter Scale Boats 29 Jun 27, 2012 02:22 PM
Discussion Thoughts or input on the Steigiesen LAR43 Hand Launch 14 Apr 21, 2012 04:04 PM
Discussion Component importance level, your input would be excellent! feerof Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 8 Apr 11, 2012 03:22 PM
Question ARF FPV plane design - I need your input IBCrazy FPV Aircraft 26 Mar 10, 2012 11:34 AM