Oct 05, 2012, 09:32 PM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
Thread OP
New Product

Walkera RC Magic Cube MTC-01 V1/V2. Testing & Review - Walkera TX and Android

Last edited by Tom Z; Jul 17, 2013 at 10:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2012, 09:32 PM
Thread OP
Last edited by Tom Z; Jul 17, 2013 at 10:24 AM.
Oct 05, 2012, 11:10 PM
Thank you for getting this done so quickly.
So the ladybird took off like a scalded cat, I had a visual image while reading it, imagining you running around the room trying to get it down.
I think we can all do without those little surprises, and bumping the cable may be something that will inevitably happen to a few people as time goes on.
Oct 05, 2012, 11:35 PM
Thread OP
Your welcome.
Too bad I didn't get it on tape! I was seconds away from hitting record...
I am pretty sure it was just problem with the DSC socket.
I never used it in all the years I had the TX.
I took the cable back out and put it back in many times.
While holding the ladybird in my hand I bumped and moved the cable and
also moved it around in circles and the connection was fine.
I will test again tomorrow and if no problems the MTC-0 should be fine.
It is very easy to use and seems to work well.

Tom
Oct 06, 2012, 03:36 AM
Suspended Account
Have you done a range test?
Oct 06, 2012, 10:40 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
Hi Tom,
Thanks for the excellent write-up. It sounds like the MTC-01 puts the throttle high if the PPM signal is lost. Hope they will fix that. It would be good to know how long the MTC-01 battery will last and what the fail mode is when that gets too low too.
From which Vendor did you get your Magiccube/MTC-01?
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Oct 06, 2012, 10:55 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by V999D02 View Post
Have you done a range test?

Not yet but I will try to do this soon. I would like to know the range also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Hi Tom,
Thanks for the excellent write-up. It sounds like the MTC-01 puts the throttle high if the PPM signal is lost. Hope they will fix that. It would be good to know how long the MTC-01 battery will last and what the fail mode is when that gets too low too.
From which Vendor did you get your Magiccube/MTC-01?
Cheers,
Jim

Thanks Jim.

I forgot to add where I got the Magic Cube from.
I just added it to the review and videos.
Hobbyone sent it to me to test and review at my request.

http://www.hobbyone.com.hk/cn/product.jsp?id=11217

I will test to see what happens when the Magic Cube battery gets low
and when it runs out and also how long the battery life is.
I hope there is a low voltage alarm in it, if not then
it will just shut off and I bet the heli/quad will take off on its own
like it did when the connection got broke for a split second on me before.
To be safe I will test all this with the blades off my ladybird so it can't take off on its own.

I just saw your Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index. WOW great job on your thread!!!

Tom
Oct 06, 2012, 11:28 AM
Thread OP

New pictures added

I took apart the Magic Cube and took some pictures.
I just added them to the review so if you already saw the review check out the new pictures.

Tom
Oct 06, 2012, 11:31 AM
Thanks Tom,
It is a collection of TIPs I've learned from my own flying and building multicopters along with those lessons learned from others who generously posted over the last 10 years or so. Hopefully it will help some other Gents too There seems to be a lot of re-invention of the wheel going on as the multirotors popularity is finally catching on here in the USA...

I noticed that there seems to be another version of the MTC-01 that does not have the "upgrade channels" and connectors on the left. What are those for?
http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/p12193/W...duct_info.html I see thee Hobby One link also shows the version without the connectors. EDIT: They are for the UP-01 upgrade dongle. I wonder if this other version has the connectors on the board?

I have the UP-02 to do the firmware upgrade. I am primarily interested in seeing if I can get this working with a Futaba 9c. Channel order is likely different, but perhaps I can change it in the Tx.
Cheers,
Jim
Last edited by jesolins; Oct 06, 2012 at 11:46 AM.
Oct 06, 2012, 11:35 AM
Thanks again Tom!
Does it appear the lipo is being charged by the Tx? Any chance you could post some pin-out info on the connector?
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post
I took apart the Magic Cube and took some pictures.
I just added them to the review so if you already saw the review check out the new pictures.

Tom
Oct 06, 2012, 11:45 AM
Thread OP
Your welcome Jim,

I am going to add a link to your excellent post in my blog.

That is interesting that there is a second version of the Magic Cube.
This version must not be able to be firmware updated and cost less.
I wouldn't want this version as you are stuck with the firmware you get with it.

The lipo only charges with the USB cable. Would be nice if it could charge with the TX.

Tom
Oct 06, 2012, 12:01 PM
Thanks Tom,
Note that the photo of the MTC-01 in the Hobby One link you posted also does not have the upgrade connectors. It looks like it is now on sale at Hobby One for the reduced price there of $16 + ~$8 shipping.

*Interesting to note that in the photos you posted when you mount the MTC-01 as you did and the position that most Gents likely will likely also mount on the Tx is located between the Tx and the MTC-01 pcb, which is not optimum for signal propagation...

Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Your welcome Jim,

I am going to add a link to your excellent post in my blog.

That is interesting that there is a second version of the Magic Cube.
This version must not be able to be firmware updated and cost less.
I wouldn't want this version as you are stuck with the firmware you get with it.

The lipo only charges with the USB cable. Would be nice if it could charge with the TX.

Tom
Last edited by jesolins; Oct 06, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
Oct 06, 2012, 01:18 PM
Thread OP
Jim, I missed that, the hobbyone photo also shows no upgrade sockets just like
ehirobo does. I got the very first batch Walkera released to Hobbyone.
I think the photos were a prototo type and Walkera released the final version with upgrade sockets.
It wouldn't make sense to make the first batch have upgrade sockets and the second batch not have
upgrade sockets unless there are two version of it one with upgrade sockets and one without to have two different prices.
I will see what I can find out about this.

On the MTC-01 I mounted it like Walkera showed how to.
Which way do you think is better to mount it?
You can go by the pictures below and say rotate which direction.
And guess what? No upgrade sockets on one picture and upgrade sockets on the other picture.

Tom
Last edited by Tom Z; Jul 10, 2013 at 08:06 AM.
Oct 06, 2012, 01:56 PM
Tom,
Confirm that the antenna is pointed up when the connector is pointed down. If that is true, then mounting the module with the connector on the bottom right side will have the antenna to the outside of the Tx which should help propagation. A range test would be in order for testing that out. A mod to extend the dipole of the antenna beyond the Tx would help propagation a lot too.

Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Jim, I missed that, the hobbyone photo also shows no upgrade sockets just like
ehirobo does. I got the very first batch Walkera released to Hobbyone.
I think the photos were a prototo type and Walkera released the final version with upgrade sockets.
It wouldn't make sense to make the first batch have upgrade sockets and the second batch not have
upgrade sockets unless there are two version of it one with upgrade sockets and one without to have two different prices.
I will see what I can find out about this.

On the MTC-01 I mounted it like Walkera showed how to.
Which way do you think is better to mount it?
You can go by the pictures below and say rotate which direction.
And guess what? No upgrade sockets on one picture and upgrade sockets on the other picture.

Tom
Oct 06, 2012, 05:14 PM
Thread OP
In the picture you posted above that is correct but that is the back side of the unit.
So I just need to mount it facing the other dircection to have the have the antenna to the outside of the Tx.

Tom
Last edited by Tom Z; Oct 07, 2012 at 03:45 PM.

Quick Reply