home made twin - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Oct 02, 2012, 10:20 PM
Registered User
Discussion

home made twin


thought I would share.

Nitro Inline Twin Model Engine (0 min 41 sec)


and the beginnings prior to it running

RC Nitro Motor Build (5 min 18 sec)


going to be making more. hopefully a radial 9 cylinder or a v4 next with cox cylinders. subscribe to my youtube to get all the updates. so many forums hard to keep track or posts!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 08, 2012, 01:40 AM
Flying Low
cbarnes0061's Avatar
Thats pretty sweet looking.
Oct 08, 2012, 11:12 AM
Registered User
rchopper56's Avatar
Speedy,
Would love to see more especially on a crankshaft for a twin. Thanks
Gene
Oct 08, 2012, 11:53 AM
Registered User
yes, here are some additional pictures.

soon to be crank pin


5/8 TGP machined and piston clearances


crank pin located and drilled, this makes the crank a two piece


crank finished, transfer ports drilled and timing set 18deg cc
Oct 08, 2012, 12:01 PM
Registered User
Interesting... Looking like a Model Tugboat intended motor design though.
Oct 08, 2012, 06:15 PM
Registered User
rchopper56's Avatar
Is that last photo of the finished crank?
Gene
Oct 08, 2012, 07:29 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchopper56
Is that last photo of the finished crank?
Gene
With that crank the motor will probably top out at around 5K and idle at under 1K. Might make a good diesel!
Oct 08, 2012, 08:22 PM
Registered User
yes finished crank Gene, I could take another picture of the transfer ports, you dont see those on the pictures. thats what feeds the cylinders their fuel.

Gooroo, I have thought of putting diesel heads on it.
Oct 09, 2012, 04:11 AM
Registered User
rchopper56's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedygonzales
yes finished crank Gene, I could take another picture of the transfer ports, you dont see those on the pictures. thats what feeds the cylinders their fuel.

Gooroo, I have thought of putting diesel heads on it.
The transfer ports would be very interesting and thank you for the photos of the crank. I have never made an engine myself mainly do to crank complexity.
Gene
Oct 09, 2012, 08:05 PM
Registered User
Very cool! I would love to have a 4 or 6 cylinder version to mimic a Menasco for Golden Age racer!
Oct 09, 2012, 11:33 PM
Registered User
thank you ARUP. yes 4 is doable!
Oct 10, 2012, 08:09 AM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARUP
Very cool! I would love to have a 4 or 6 cylinder version to mimic a Menasco for Golden Age racer!
Here are some pictures of the 4-cylinder version. I do have pics of the "near" completed engine somewhere. Bought from someone with intention to finish but with many other engine things to do ... Seems like a wobbly affair to me I do not remember bearings or bushes used. I'll have another look at the engine tomorrow and make pictures. Think the engine is pictured on my site for those un-familiar with www.reginaldluycx.be
Oct 10, 2012, 12:19 PM
Registered User
yep, its minorly wobbly. no bearings BUT if you do proceed its not to difficult to install some. I am currently installing bearings on mine and it should make a difference.

the other thing I would suggest is installing locating pins on the covers (front plate, back plate) because they tend to want to not stay true when fastening them down. I regret not thinking of that sooner, will be more challenging to do it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald
Here are some pictures of the 4-cylinder version. I do have pics of the "near" completed engine somewhere. Bought from someone with intention to finish but with many other engine things to do ... Seems like a wobbly affair to me I do not remember bearings or bushes used. I'll have another look at the engine tomorrow and make pictures. Think the engine is pictured on my site for those un-familiar with www.reginaldluycx.be


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Home made Depron SU-27 Flanker twin EDF allintheair Foamy EDFs 21 Nov 06, 2012 10:51 PM
Discussion Home made EDF - Twin EDF for airliner NicholasC Power Systems 3 May 04, 2010 12:46 PM
Discussion Home made twin motor plane for HD video with Pan and Tilt. pthompson24 Aerial Photography 83 Jan 12, 2010 07:07 PM
Discussion MIG 29 home made twin EDF construction volorc Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 112 Aug 24, 2009 12:07 PM
M100 or Home made Twin DXA??? brent347 Parkflyers 1 Oct 12, 2002 11:02 PM