This thread is privately moderated by Jack Crossfire, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 02, 2012, 06:03 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

A steaming pile of dog turd

After the Blade CX2, which had fairly capable electronics, the Blade MQX was a total steaming pile of dog turd. The mane problem is it has no accelerometer. It only has an ITG-3205, 3 axis gyro. It can't level itself like any other quad copter & is even more unstable than the Blade CX2.

The CX2 was eventually reasonably stable, once it was perfectly balanced & the servo pushrods were adjusted. It would stay level, while having a dynamic instability which a human could control.

The MQX is like a traditional copter, with no force leveling it. This explains why Horizon still sells the CX2. Making an autopilot would take a significant investment in a board which ran on 3.3 - 4.2V & fit under the weight limit.

Finally, the MQX remote control is pure trash compared to the CX2 remote control. The CX2 was a stock transmitter for any other airplane while the MQX is cost minimized as much as possible for just the MQX. No tactile trim pots. No range of stick motion, despite requiring more stick motion than the CX2. Inside, the radio board is hard soldered to the mane board at an angle, to jam it in the remaning space.

The CX2 had discrete radio modules in the transmitter & receiver which could be reused somewhere else. The MQX has the radio chip soldered on the mane board.

Further testing after more tightly balancing the CX2 wasn't very different. Instead of changing attitude based on position, it now got direct cyclic input based on position & relied on balance to stay level, which seemed to give faster response. The coax should theoretically automatically level itself.

Response to movement was still too slow to keep it in the room. There's just too much latency in the vision system. In addition to the blades hitting each other, also found the swashplate on the CX2 tended to come apart in every crash. It snapped back together, but was a bit too loose.
Last edited by Jack Crossfire; Oct 02, 2012 at 07:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 02, 2012, 06:35 PM
Mr. Magoo's Co-Pilot
You mention MCX in your rambling rant. But the pictures you posted are of the MQX quadcopter.
Oct 02, 2012, 07:36 PM
Not getting MCX and MQX right doesn't help giving any credit to your rant...
Reading through your rant gave me the impression that you have quite high expectations of the rc-hobby, the machines and the experience of flying them.
Maybe instead of ranting, it would be more productive to train, gain in pilotingskill and decide what you want to fly.
Oct 06, 2012, 06:18 PM
Our Work Is Never Over
Accelerometers are not a requirement I FPV fly with a 3 gyro KK board and no GPS

Maybe you need more simulator time

Ps: imo all the quads you mentioned are over priced pos for people who cant make there own. I am not insulting you I am insulting the quads you are choosing

My advise to you learn to scratch build a quad it will be enlighten experience and save you tons of $$

Quick Reply