Dec 25, 2012, 02:45 AM
HobbyKing
Yes exactly that. No don't expect a warbird, as with the first Retro series model, the next is a model of a model classic.

S.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 26, 2012, 05:58 PM
Really guys, really? As it has obviously been pointed out, the pic at the beginning of the thread is just a big tease. Looks like John Wright's turbine powered model, (notice the other large turbine powered models in the background. Why this pic with Scott is posted I have no idea.

NO company so far has had the balls to make a scale Ho 229 model. They probably worry it won't be a "big seller" or that it won't fly well. I don't think it would be that difficult to make a good flying 229 in foam.

I am on Ho 229 model #4, which is depron ribs and sheeting with balsa spars and leading edges. Models # 1-3 are all nice flyers (with No gyros and No electronic "stabilization" equipment), as you can see in the You Tube videos. The scale wing twist really isn't that difficult, but I suppose the big companies are intimidated by the 229.
Last edited by Horten Freak; Dec 29, 2012 at 04:57 AM. Reason: additional info.
Dec 26, 2012, 07:24 PM
Such a pity , I would really like a 229
spud
Dec 26, 2012, 07:52 PM
Ill have a 1/5.3 (123" wingspan) HO-229 short kit (composite center section, plans and some other items) for sale in the next 30 to 60 days. I am finishing up the templates and the prototype now for flight testing. And while you may think its to big, it will all fit in a 2 door Honda Civic with room for a 2nd airplane.
Feb 08, 2013, 03:05 PM
we can take off without that
I had a crazy idea, a vixen is almost a horten at the core. If you get just the fuselage and the wings, only the nose has to be modified and a canopy made.
It wouldnt be exact but it would be pretty close.

Here is a quick photoshopped vixen-horten.

Feb 08, 2013, 05:14 PM
looks like a Horten and a Northrop did the nasty and that's what you get. LOL.
Feb 08, 2013, 05:47 PM
HobbyKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_flyer
I had a crazy idea, a vixen is almost a horten at the core. If you get just the fuselage and the wings, only the nose has to be modified and a canopy made.
It wouldnt be exact but it would be pretty close.

Here is a quick photoshopped vixen-horten.

Damn, Our secret is out

S.
Feb 08, 2013, 06:00 PM
well, there ya go guys, you heard it here first.......................the secret is out. let the arguing ensue. LOL.
Mar 04, 2014, 03:28 AM
The pic of the horten 229 is not a hobbyking (or durably) product so its probally going to be smaller so i can buy it cause that plane is too big for me
Mar 04, 2014, 05:54 AM
Love to see one I would purchase it
Mar 04, 2014, 09:38 AM
If only it was that easy to build a Ho229. The airplane is not hard to fly, but takeoffs and landings are interesting... mostly takeoffs. Especially with cross winds, the Horten LOATHS!!!!! Crosswinds. And i mean REALLY REALLLY REALLY REALLLY REALLY HATES crosswinds.

Did i mention that it REALLY HATES crosswinds!?
Mar 06, 2014, 10:40 PM
Ya man, in crosswinds she can be a handful, but I think a smaller, lighter foam Ho 229 would be fine because you could hand launch directly into the wind. Landings aren't too bad. Since this thread started Hobby King has released several new foam models, but no Horten. I really don't think any company is going to do an ARF or RTF of this, they must not be able to figure it out.

Hey Invertmast, do you have a build thread somewhere for the V-173 you have the youtube vid for?
Mar 06, 2014, 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horten Freak
Ya man, in crosswinds she can be a handful, but I think a smaller, lighter foam Ho 229 would be fine because you could hand launch directly into the wind. Landings aren't too bad. Since this thread started Hobby King has released several new foam models, but no Horten. I really don't think any company is going to do an ARF or RTF of this, they must not be able to figure it out.

Hey Invertmast, do you have a build thread somewhere for the V-173 you have the youtube vid for?

Not yet, i'm still waiting on the last of the parts to arrive, then i'm going to ship off the first 7 kits to their owners. I suspect i'll start building the thing around may, as i've got to do some renovation on a BVM Bandit
Mar 07, 2014, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horten Freak
Since this thread started Hobby King has released several new foam models, but no Horten. I really don't think any company is going to do an ARF or RTF of this, they must not be able to figure it out.
it takes time to make a new rc plane the ones that got realised had their production started earlier so they come out first the pic of the horten 229 was just asking the public if they wanted a horten 229 its not their product. i know that they might be making it because this what they said when i contacted them "A Ho229 is a favorite of ours at the office, that really is all I can say I'm afraid."

Ill be waiting
Last edited by wojethebest; May 19, 2014 at 02:44 AM.

Quick Reply