Oct 05, 2012, 02:52 AM
HobbyKing
You are such a tease Scott

S.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2012, 03:16 AM
Well...size for size, the Horton WAS a larger bird....1300 to 1400 would be a good size for it, to keep it roughly equivalent to the 1100 size. 55 foot wingspan compared to say...a spitfire, would put it into the 1300 to 1400 range, without looking too out of place.
Last edited by dudewheresmyhuri; Oct 05, 2012 at 03:22 AM.
Oct 05, 2012, 06:10 AM
"Come and take it B'yatch"
Trust me 1/8 scale one piece airframe is big enough with 90 mm fans
Oct 05, 2012, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashted
Trust me 1/8 scale one piece airframe is big enough with 90 mm fans
1/8 with 90mm fans? Really. The 1/8. Wingsontheweb horton is sized for 70mm fans. My 1/5.3 sized model (123.5" wingspan) with twin 90mm fans will have close to a 1:1 with only a 6s lipo per fan. I would hate to see the wing loading of a 1/8 size model with 90's
Oct 05, 2012, 01:01 PM
fvi
fvi
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix racing
Hmmmmm, maybe slightly bigger would be nicer.
Lol...you're gonna kill us with these mind games Scott.

I wouldn't mind a 1300mm or 1400mm Horten. It's just that the Durafly range fits easily in my car.

So....when do we get a sneak peek!? Maybe after the Spitfire launch?

Cheers.
Oct 05, 2012, 07:37 PM
Yup 1/8 scale, Wemotec 90 mm fans, 82 inch wingspan. As it sits in the pictures without the fans in it, or the batteries, it weighs just under 4 lbs. Every rib, former, and anything else structural that I could, I swiss cheesed with lightening holes, and it is very hollow.
Believe me, no problem with the wing loading.

I used to visit Bob Fiorenze's hobby shop in the late 80's, and got many, many useful tips. From a master builder himself. His best was put holes in everything. This was Way, Way before anything , turbine, or electric Lipo driven ever existed. His signature was a black F4 powered by twin OS 90 VFDF's. Truly a pioneer of ducted fans
Oct 05, 2012, 07:45 PM
Wow! Thats going to be grossly overpowered. Haha. My 123.5" version weights about 7lbs right now. That is just the outer wing panels once glassed and painted. I am expecting it to be 15ish lbs rtf with a pair of 90mm and 6s 5000mah lipos
Oct 05, 2012, 09:17 PM
fvi
fvi
Ok guys, let's see some pictures please!!
Oct 06, 2012, 01:05 AM
Corona, CA
I get the whole 1100mm park flyer size.....but I think Dynam has made the perfect compromise with their 1300mm sizing. They fit in cars, 4cells fly them with spirit, they look good in the air but don't look dangerously big.
Oct 06, 2012, 08:16 AM
fvi
fvi
Quote:
Originally Posted by P 51 Jockey
I get the whole 1100mm park flyer size.....but I think Dynam has made the perfect compromise with their 1300mm sizing. They fit in cars, 4cells fly them with spirit, they look good in the air but don't look dangerously big.
I do find the 1100mm size to be a bit smaller than I like but my 1400mm Mustang is a bit too big for my small car.1200/1300mm size would be ideal for me.

Since the Horten has a small fuselage and is basically all wing I guess it would be fairly easy to transport in a larger size.

I really hope that if there's ever one in the pipeline that it's a Durafly one. I've been spoiled so now I'm picky.
Oct 06, 2012, 02:24 PM
The sky is my playground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax
Guys, Phoenix Racing (Who works for Hobby King) said this is a scratch built twin turbine. This is not a Hobby King offering.
Don't let the facts get in the way here..
Oct 06, 2012, 03:33 PM

spurious logic syllogism

Well lets see....if scott aka phonix racing is. The default voice of hobby king in english....and scott is offering a pic us a picture of a horton........then....
Hobby king must be offering us a horton 229....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dora Nine
Don't let the facts get in the way here..
Oct 06, 2012, 06:13 PM
Pics of its beginnings, Swiss cheese.
Like I said Jack Bales plans are a lot to be desired. I collect plans for this model, as I have been obsessed with it since high school, and have copies of versions from all over the world. Jacks plans were the ONLY ones I could find in 2001. Not to knock him mind you. I am still trying to find ANY one with copies of his Ho IV, and the Ho VI Horten sailplanes. It takes a lot of resolve to sit down for hrs, and hrs and draw.
Now the Go 229/ Ho IX is pretty popular, and it does fly without any gyros/ stabilization. The only set of plans I do not have are the Wings on the Web version.
His plane is by far the most though out, as he designed it from the original drawings from Arthur Bently who seems to have had access to the factory originals..

If you guys want to see one in EPP/ EPO, petition this company. http://www.windrider.com.hk/
These guys actually ask their customers what they want to see them sell.
No joke man.
Somebody wanted them to make "molded" ducted fan airliners, and they did it!!!

Check out their site.
I am serious. Get a petition going. Some companies seem to have endless funds to CNC molds that cost in order of $50,000 plus.
After all they hold all of our debt, and have all of the worlds money LOL
Cheers
Last edited by flashted; Oct 06, 2012 at 06:21 PM.
Oct 06, 2012, 06:19 PM
Opps forgot the Pics....
Oct 06, 2012, 06:28 PM
fvi
fvi
Damn... I almost chocked on my coffee when I saw those pics. What a beauty!!

I've always been obssessed with the Horten as well. For me It's the most awesome and sleek aircraft from ww2.

Let's hope somebody decides to do one and do it right!

Cheers

Quick Reply