This thread is privately moderated by burkefj, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 01, 2012, 04:28 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Upscale Tomahawk R/C Rocket boosted glider

We had perfect weather this weekend in Oregon for our highpower launch near Amity and I took a literal Van load of rocket gliders....Pretty much everything shown here. Got in 16 flights over two days, some great flights with my Big X-15, InteR/Ceptor and Bomarc getting a flight in each day! I have to say the big gliders really look impressive and are really easy to fly.

That got me motivated to use the last of my store of depron sheet and servos/receiver, so I decided that the best candidate would be to upscale my Tomahawk cruise missile.

Advantages are, it is long, and not too wide, to keep weight down, double ply would be all that would be needed, with single ply wing with spar and KF airfoil by reinforcing the leading edge 25% with a doubler up to the spar. Two megal gear HS servos running the full flying tail and a 32mm motor mount.

Update 10/1: So far the AUW is looking like 24-25 oz which should fly on the Aerotech 32mm G-12 motor, but a single use G-38 weighs the same and would work if the model winds up heavier than 25 oz.

I have it framed up ready for sanding, 10.5 oz airframe with tail pivots, 4.5 oz motor, 1.5 oz servos, bec and rx, 1.5oz battery, and maybe 3 oz nose weight, an ounce for glue and styrene reinforcement plus launch button rail..22 oz plus any paint/trim...1.5x upscale so 60" long, 30" wingspan....Given the area, wing loading should be in the 6.5-7 oz per sq foot range.

Update 10/2: couldn't sleep so got up and applied the trim monokote and markings I had laying around, contoured the edges of the nose and wing and vertical tail, left the rest flat so I could apply sheet styrene to help prevent landing damage.

Update 10/2 pm: slotted and test fit the fuse together, just waiting for gluing and radio install. AUW is on track, dry with battery is now 16.5 oz, 4.5 oz for battery and approx the same for ballast should be pretty close to 25 oz.

Update 10/3: Completed, AUW is right at 25 ounces, so should be good for G-12's and F-23's.

Maiden on an F-12 was really nice and easy.

Frank
Last edited by burkefj; Mar 31, 2015 at 08:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply