Nov 01, 2012, 01:36 PM
CERTIFIED CRASH ARTIST
I use a hollow core door with a ceiling tile turned upside down and mounted at four corners can easily pin work to it and you can stand it up in a corner when not in use.I have even left parts pinned to it when stored.

Jim
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2012, 11:29 AM
use a glass table if you spill glue on it you can just run your knife across the table and it will peel right up
Nov 08, 2012, 12:02 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
Glass will also ruin your knives, so be careful.
Nov 08, 2012, 01:37 PM
"Free" in Christ! #F3P
I used a glass 1/8" sheet(~12x24") for a while.(did a lot of knife sharpening) It worked well.(as long as you don't push with your thumb really hard in the center while it's on you lap)

Free
Dec 27, 2014, 06:12 PM

building surface Tip SPRAY PAINT

Hi,
Been building for over 25 years. Balsa, foam, Coroplast and composites too.
A truly straight table is a must and is the base for whatever surface is actually built on. I use a recycled drafting table top and pin to ceiling tiles. But I never liked how these can fuzz up. So I use an entire $1.00 can of cheap spray paint on the reverse side AND edges. Use lots of light coats and don't wet it out anywhere.

I used to use a metal desk but after storing it for a few years when I was out of RC it got bent. I confess to having built a half of a wing with potato chip like quality.
Dec 28, 2014, 09:44 AM
you can get many sizes of Masonite laminate shelves at Menards, etc. Because of the way they are made , most are very straight and level. I then hot glue an appropriate piece of ceiling tile to that. You can make about any size you want, and very portabe.
Dec 29, 2014, 09:19 PM
Possibly the flattest, truest surface you will find is 3/4 inch float glass. It's poured on a pool of liquid mercury to keep it perfect during manufacture. Ask your local glass shop - they may have scrap pieces from a commercial window. Use weights or tape to hold components in place.