30mm EDF with 200g of thrust! - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 30, 2012, 12:59 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Discussion

30mm EDF with 200g of thrust!

I'm pretty excited about my latest 30mm fan unit I built!

4 years has passed since I was last heavily experimenting with 30mm units. I have been more focused on smaller fans, smaller jets and more power...

When skyangel first released their 35mm EDF jets, I was impressed with the outrunner that came with them but could tell it was no way near 9,000kV like it stated on the box. They are actually ~7400kV. I mounted one in a 30mm fan case but the results were less than impressive and I left it at that while I played with modding the 35mm Hawk's frame and power setup - staying at 35mm fan size.

Recently, after a question raised by Kevin Greene about using one of these outrunners to push the UMX Mig(28mm EDF unit) along on 3S with a clipped 30mm AEO 8 blader fitted, I dropped one in and liked what I saw in the way of current draw. It was really low (5A on 3S with 80g static thrust). This sparked my interest in the motor once again and since I finally have a bit of free time on my hands, wanted to go back to my 30mm experiments and try the motor again, this time with a hot wound version.

The stock outrunner has 9 winds of 30AWG wire terminated in Delta, giving it 6600kV. I guessed that dropping 2 turns would lift the kV to over 9000kV which would be a better speed for 30mm EDFs. I rewound the stator with 2 strands of 32AWG, 7 turns, again terminated in Delta. This produced a result of 9800kV.

I lathed up a custom stator shaft to better suit the GWS 30mm EDF case and allow more cooling up the bell and mounted a clipped GWS 40mm, 6 bladed impeller on to the unit. It actually screws onto the stock shaft perfectly (I would have used an AEO venturi style 6 blade 30mm impeller but had none left). I took my time balancing the unit and it is one of the smoothest fans I now have. Now for the big test. How much thrust and how much current? This is the exciting part for me.

On 2S - the unit produces 100g of static thrust at 5A.
On 3S - the unit produces 210g of static thrust at 10A. Temp after WOT for 1 minute was 37C. Barely warm.

eflux calculates at ~100mph on 2S, ~140mph on 3S with an 85% reduced tailpipe! Using a 325mah lipo (I recommend TP G6) would give around 4 and 2 minutes of flight respectively, at WOT.

Last edited by NitroCharged; Oct 06, 2012 at 12:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 30, 2012, 01:06 AM
Scary amounts of thrust!
Sep 30, 2012, 01:19 AM
Congrats on the test results!!! You have been kind of quite lately. Should have expected something outa you. Spring/Summer is on the way for you guys down under. So, what rocket ship are you going to set up first.

Ksqm
Sep 30, 2012, 01:57 AM
7oz's out of a 30mm with 140mph eflux, holy smokes! that otta move something along

Joe
Sep 30, 2012, 07:08 AM
Excellent results for 30mm.

One of these is on my wish list.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...pander_V3.html

shove it up my exhaust pipe and measure actual eflux speed! Might even fit it to the model as well?

Steve
Sep 30, 2012, 07:18 AM
Not enough hours in the day
They are awesome motors.

Tell me, instead of rewinding, how about simply using 4S on the stock motor?
Sep 30, 2012, 07:56 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
You'd be down around 1100 rpm's and up in weight by a lipo cell. You'd not get the same thrust result on 2S either. Of course, I welcome all to try out different things.

I'll be making another one soon, the plan is to have plenty of grunt for take off and then low amp cruising once airborne.
Meanwhile this unit is destined to try and take the 'sting' out of another 30mm EDF speed model... woof woof...
Sep 30, 2012, 07:57 AM
it wasn't me flying that plane
Incredible Nitro....
Like I have mentioned before.."Master Tinkerer"
Its experiments like this that advance the hobby for all of us................Chris
Sep 30, 2012, 08:56 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Thanks guys.

I just noticed I forgot to list the weight. AUW is 15.1g as it is in the photos.
Sep 30, 2012, 09:26 AM
Need 4 Speed!
Great work NC! Always ahead of the competition! Wonder what it would take to get a manufacturer to offer that motor in a variety of winds including a hot version like what you've created....hmmmm

Btw, the faster you go the more sting you get
Latest blog entry: original Y/A F-18 Kit
Sep 30, 2012, 12:02 PM
Good work, Nitro! I've always thought this is a great motor. In my 35mm tests it always performed as well or even better than typical 12mm inrunners, but at half the weight!

Any chance you can post Watts or loaded Voltage? I will then add them to the other 30mm tests:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1569514

Jacques
Sep 30, 2012, 12:55 PM
Presumably it's This Motor :
http://www.hobbyb.com/skyangel-repla...jet-p-368.html
Is there any other known source for this AEO (?) motor... perhaps sans the Standoff adaptor?
I've found that the smaller AEO motors 300's , 20's can be tweaked to respectable performances.. clearly their
'better' :-) products actually.
Sep 30, 2012, 01:09 PM
we can take off without that
Impressive work Nitro!!!
Wow!!
If JPower made them 7-turn from the beginning most of the 35mm Jets would have been 1:1 thrust to weight from the box, and thats on 2s!
I hope they pick up on your experiments and modify the new ones to copy your higher kv version.

Then I wouldnt have to struggle swapping over to AEO 8-blade rotor for a measly 84g thrust on 2s (and that draws 6.2A, not very efficient).
Sep 30, 2012, 04:33 PM
Founder of the EDF20 club!
Crazy results! Well done! I want one!
Sep 30, 2012, 07:58 PM
Crikey!