Sep 29, 2012, 07:38 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

RC tug Southampton + Spektrum Receiver (ESC not working)

Hi all,

I got the RC Southampton Tug from WalMart and also the accompanying
T01 transmitter. When I got home, I tested out the combo and it works
flawlessly.

As there is a Spektrum DX2E lying around, and I also have a MR200
and another SR200 receivers, I tried to swap out the stock AM radio
with the Spektrum. However, only the rudder steering works but not the
throttle. I then try to reset the ESC by press and hold the push button
until the LED blinks for the central, highest and lowest throttle. Still
no response at all to the throttle change and the props are not turning.
This is the same case for both the SR200 and MR200 receivers, and
they are brand-new ones.

Switching back to the stock AM no-name receiver works perfectly after an
ESC reset, so the ESC is working for sure.

Any Hint ??

Thanks !
Last edited by fy789; Sep 29, 2012 at 08:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2012, 10:26 PM
Valiant Poultry
I had a ton of trouble getting my Southampton ESC to calibrate correctly with my FlySky TX/RX combo.

I ended up having to settle for having it slowly go forward even with no input on the throttle. The odd thing is, no matter what I did to trim it, I couldn't get that forward input to go away. In fact, I couldn't even adjust it.

It's almost as if it just doesn't WANT to work with the new receiver.
Sep 29, 2012, 10:46 PM
Thread OP
For those who upgraded the ESC to a Mtroniks or Sabertooth 2x12
brushed ESC:

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/...bertooth2x12rc

Could you kindly share your experience of the cooperation between the
Sabertooth ESC and Spektrum receivers?

Thanks!
Last edited by fy789; Sep 29, 2012 at 11:03 PM.
Sep 30, 2012, 10:30 AM
I've had no real major issues to complain about. I have my sabertooth set in auto-calibrate mode and it occasionally weirds out if I turn the transmitter off for a long time while the boat is still turned on in the pond. Easily remedied by turning the boat off and then both back on. Having expo on the unit itself is nice if your tx doesnt have it. I defiantly recommend it even if not using it for the mixing. I found it a cheaper option than 2 separate speed controls. The lipo cutoff is a little on the low side for me, but I rarely hit it as I usually run my southampton with at least a 4ah lipo or larger. If there is anything else in specific ask away, I'm always lurking around here somewhere.
Josh
Oct 01, 2012, 07:48 PM

Spectrum Binding ?

Bought 3. only 1 binds correctly. They said to return the other 2.
Oct 01, 2012, 09:37 PM
Thread OP
Could anybody describe how they do the ESC calibration?

I downloaded the instructions from another thread, and it is the Hobby Engine/ Graupner
version. The ESC calibration involves setting throttle to central, full and min positions and
in each position, one needs to press and hold the push button until the LED blinks.
Is this the correct procedures to calibrate the ESC?

Thanks!
Last edited by fy789; Oct 01, 2012 at 11:27 PM.
Oct 02, 2012, 06:55 AM

My systems ...ALL ...would work O K on ANY channel .......EXCEPT...........throttle.

Weird ? Sure.
The defective 2 setups ONLY had a problem with Failsafe on the throttles channels.

Any problems are possible.
I had never set up Giga Hertz systems before. I spent about 10 minutes re reading the setup procedures & redoing the setups until the 1 good unit locked in.

E mail & or phone the company to get the help you need. Always the best thing to do.

Rich
Oct 06, 2012, 03:42 PM
Thread OP
May I ask if you take the tugboat apart from the deck?
How many screws are there all together ?

And how is the waterproofing capability affected after you put everything back together
after installing the Sabertooth 2x12rc ESC ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig8
I've had no real major issues to complain about. I have my sabertooth set in auto-calibrate mode and it occasionally weirds out if I turn the transmitter off for a long time while the boat is still turned on in the pond. Easily remedied by turning the boat off and then both back on. Having expo on the unit itself is nice if your tx doesnt have it. I defiantly recommend it even if not using it for the mixing. I found it a cheaper option than 2 separate speed controls. The lipo cutoff is a little on the low side for me, but I rarely hit it as I usually run my southampton with at least a 4ah lipo or larger. If there is anything else in specific ask away, I'm always lurking around here somewhere.
Josh
Last edited by fy789; Oct 06, 2012 at 06:30 PM.
Oct 06, 2012, 06:33 PM
The Spectrums still require, turn on transmitter on first, turn off last. At least mine do. Or the receiver can do nutty things while looking for the signals.
Oct 06, 2012, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fy789
May I ask if you take the tugboat apart from the deck?
How many screws are there all together ?

And how is the waterproofing capability affected after you put everything back together
after installing the Sabertooth 2x12rc ESC ?
There are 14 screws in the marked locations. 5 are under bollards and 1 is under the antenna thing. It also requires a little force to get the deck off as it is a tight fit. And as far as water tight, mines been tested to 3 feet under. (My son tried to push it to the bottom of the pool) Just seal the little hole that the antenna uses to come through the deck.
Oct 07, 2012, 01:32 AM
Thread OP
twig9, thanks very much for the illustrated photo !

BTW, did you find that the waterproof hull is not affected at all
after you break the water seal when taking the boat apart ?
This seems too good to be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig8
There are 14 screws in the marked locations. 5 are under bollards and 1 is under the antenna thing. It also requires a little force to get the deck off as it is a tight fit. And as far as water tight, mines been tested to 3 feet under. (My son tried to push it to the bottom of the pool) Just seal the little hole that the antenna uses to come through the deck.
Oct 07, 2012, 07:05 AM
When in doubt.

A VERY LIGHT smear of Vasaline will make the reseal easier & better. Works for shafts & rudders also.
Oct 07, 2012, 11:38 AM
^ Ditto on the vasaline. I've opened mine several times and never actually re-lubed the seal. Seems to me like there is already plenty on mine, but I guess you could always put more on just to be safe.
Hope that helps, Josh
Oct 07, 2012, 12:24 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
mine has been openned up 3 times for routine maintainance and a rewire, and she is still waterproof, and yes she has been deliberately submerged, as well as accidentally rolled over and not a drop gets inside
Oct 07, 2012, 02:52 PM
All of those subs are built in US shipyards.

Quick Reply