This thread is privately moderated by xfatdannx, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 29, 2012, 09:07 AM
advanced n00b
Discussion

Gunfighter to Red Tail - Bunnie

Everything is done now. The pics show the story so no need to go through it all step by step.

Custom decals via callie-graphics. Check her out, she does good work!

**Disclaimer**
Test all of your paints and primers before applying to foam...ESPECIALLY if it is not noted as being foam safe! I tested everything before i applied it.

Primer: Random no name brand from local auto store
Silver: Its actually a aluminum by DupliColor also at auto store but not the one made for engines.
Red and Yellow: Testors. Some of the red was spray and some was not.
Olive Drab: Model Masters arylic just called "Olive Drab"
Brown, white, black, and aluminum in cockpit, all testors also.
Last edited by xfatdannx; Oct 15, 2012 at 09:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2012, 08:56 PM
Looking fine....keep up the good work. I had a good deal of fun giving mine a makeover I'm sure you'll enjoy the upgrade as well.

Regards
Mike
Last edited by flmlm; Sep 30, 2012 at 10:46 AM.
Oct 01, 2012, 08:34 AM
More jets than a carburetor
What paint did you use, it appears to of bubbled the foam?
Oct 01, 2012, 03:54 PM
advanced n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydve76
What paint did you use, it appears to of bubbled the foam?
I used Dupli Color. Foam has not bubbles at all..the horizontal stab looks like garbage bc i removed the weird vacuum cover thing the gunfighter paint is on its its just messed up. it was a bad idea. the rest is fine. I primed it first too. The aluminum color seems to have accented the little foam "cells" but it did nothing bad to the foam
Oct 03, 2012, 11:04 AM
advanced n00b
added pics to post 1

Here is my pilot, Roscoe Brown, and his Wiki Page

Better watch out Joey, this guy shot down a 262
Oct 03, 2012, 03:10 PM
Looks great!

Regards
Mike
Oct 03, 2012, 04:58 PM
More jets than a carburetor
Got nothin on mr "yank the stick back and stomp bottom rudder" Candelaria:

Dogfights: The P-51 Mustang Part 4 (8 min 0 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx
added pics to post 1

Here is my pilot, Roscoe Brown, and his Wiki Page

Better watch out Joey, this guy shot down a 262
Oct 06, 2012, 12:59 AM
advanced n00b
3 more updates with some decals.
Oct 09, 2012, 06:21 PM
I flew in a Redtail P-51 a year ago. Getting in a P-51 was on my bucket list and it came to an air show near me. Unbelievably cool! Not cheap but a life event for me I won't forget. Seeing that trim scheme brings a smile to my face! Can't wait to see it complete.
Oct 09, 2012, 07:43 PM
advanced n00b
just got the horizontal stab in the other day and painted and installed today. Still waiting on the decals, had a minor error with those when they were printed. Got the canopy glue from my dad today...should be done this weekend.
Oct 13, 2012, 10:16 AM
advanced n00b
For anyone following, i added 4 more pics. Final decals came in, added some small details to the cockpit with a few more coming today before i glue the canopy on. I am having trouble with the tip of the spinner, may need to go get some more testors spray paint. also need to add OD strip from nose to canopy. I also cut out the ailerons and glued them in with plastic hinges.
Oct 13, 2012, 03:05 PM
Looks great
Oct 13, 2012, 04:45 PM
advanced n00b
Done! Time to re-maiden and mess it all up!

Also, i did not replace the sticker that covers the servo wires. instead i went over it with canopy glue. Goes on white and consistency of elmars glue, but dries clear.
Last edited by xfatdannx; Oct 15, 2012 at 09:46 AM.
Jan 23, 2013, 03:33 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
Looks great. Love the red wheel covers.
Good job!
Josh
Jan 23, 2013, 03:53 PM
advanced n00b
This thing just POPS on a sunny day. I need to get someone to take pics for me again soon. I love it, very pleased.