Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 17, 2012, 07:50 PM
High Lift Coefficient
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot
Are the conditions there suitable for floaters? My three current "fliers" are a Gentle Lady, a Sprit Elite, and a Radian, each lighter than the next. The Spirit might actually be OK, it's a bit heavier at 33 oz, and has the flat wing slope configuration.

Of course, I cans ee about getting the Thorn or Vengance running, they'll take anything.
Katie,
I'm not sure if Davenport is a good place for floaters or flyers w/o much slope experience. When the wind is light, it's not easy to stay up even with floaters. And when the wind kicks in there is lot of turbulence during launch. Most of that is due to the smaller hill (we call it the Step) in front of the primary hill which tends to create rotors. Once you are away from that, the lift is very smooth, given there is sufficient wind velocity. As for landing, there is plenty of area to land on (avoid poison oak at all costs), but as the wind speed increased, so do the rotors. If you do decide to try it, make sure you go with some experienced people.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2012, 12:25 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Noted.

Maybe I'll go and watch first.
Oct 18, 2012, 11:33 AM
Good conditions are forecast for this weekend http://www.windfinder.com/weatherfor...reek_davenport .

I plan on going on Sunday around noon if the conditions hold. Is anyone interested?

Al
Oct 18, 2012, 02:54 PM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
Yes! Me! PM me when you are sure if you are going.
Oct 18, 2012, 06:25 PM

Floaters

Must disagree on floaters at Davenport. Unless the hill contour has changed, floaters should fly fine. I used to fly a Tercel handlaunch (about 11oz) in the light winds while waiting for the wind to get strong enough to support RCM Thophy Race lead sleds. No problems, just fun.
Oct 18, 2012, 06:29 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Bob, you don't need to say: "But you gotta work on your landings!"
Oct 21, 2012, 12:19 AM
Elevons or bust!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JlbMacUser
Davenport is a great, drive-up, and fly site. Plenty of action with flying wildlife, hang gliders, & helpful fellow RC flyers, & beautiful scenery!

Here's a video of Joel with the maiden flight of the North Coast Flying Machines Half Pipe on 9/22/12.

http://youtu.be/0OsKHKPE1fw
There's a typo: North "County" Flying Machines, Halfpipe.

http://www.northcountyflyingmachines.com/
Oct 21, 2012, 07:19 AM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
Going to be a great flying day at Davenport, who's all going?
Oct 22, 2012, 01:21 AM
Elevons or bust!
Did I mention I broke a bush with my Halfpipe 2 weekends ago?

...and I flew it again and later the bruises ironed out perfectly! I highly recommend NCFM!

I did a really low pass and that mound, below, by the trail downward... It's closer than it appears.
Nov 11, 2012, 11:07 AM

Video from 10/6/12 - late but better than not!

What a nice day this was. Up close and personal with the hang glider guys who don't mind flying with the RC pilots. Good place for dogs too!

Davenport121006 (4 min 45 sec)
Nov 13, 2012, 12:31 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Nice!

What video software do you use?
Jun 21, 2015, 06:17 PM

Good conditions at Davenport

Posting a few pictures of my 3.7 m Ventus flying at Davenport last week. I bought this plane at our John Grainger Auction.
Apr 23, 2017, 09:18 PM
High Lift Coefficient

April 23, 2017

Former Club mate Kevin Patterson contacted me early in the morning to say it was on for today at Davenport with excellent forecast to boot. Not getting my speed fix at Los Banos this weekend, decided to head out with ballast bag in tow. White caps to the horizon and 20+ wind. Folks practicing for the ISR race, a great slope day.