Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 29, 2012, 01:24 AM
Discussion

Davenport

Davenport is a great, drive-up, and fly site. Plenty of action with flying wildlife, hang gliders, & helpful fellow RC flyers, & beautiful scenery!

Here's a video of Joel with the maiden flight of the North Coast Flying Machines Half Pipe on 9/22/12.

Davenport120922 (2 min 39 sec)
Last edited by JlbMacUser; Sep 29, 2012 at 09:51 AM. Reason: New link
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2012, 11:03 AM
that's gonna hurt...
Congrats Joel on the maiden!!!! Davenport is my all time favorite slope site, looks like you guys had great conditions.

Bruce
Sep 29, 2012, 12:33 PM
High Lift Coefficient
Good job Joel. Gee I guess you can have fun without a motor!
Sep 30, 2012, 12:23 AM

More Davenport!

Gee, we could get used to this place. What another nice day today!

Check it out:

Davenport120929 (3 min 30 sec)
Sep 30, 2012, 01:35 AM
Elevons or bust!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailhigh
Good job Joel. Gee I guess you can have fun without a motor!
Motors are expensive but slope soaring is just like hotlining . I like slope. I still want to build the ultimate hotliner though. So fast, so sinister.
Sep 30, 2012, 02:04 AM
Elevons or bust!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis01
Congrats Joel on the maiden!!!! Davenport is my all time favorite slope site, looks like you guys had great conditions.

Bruce
It was 10 - 15 mph wind in the first video, about 20 mph today, second video) This plane is AWESOME! Much cooler than any other plane I've had. Fast and agile yet easy to control (given the throws are right and elevator is dumbed way down). It can fly really slow too. I can't wait for the chance to fly 40 mph winds and get some insane verticals.

-Joel
Oct 02, 2012, 07:19 PM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
Crazy, let me know next time you go down to Davenport, I should be able to go, as long as it is on a weekend.
Oct 03, 2012, 12:30 AM
Elevons or bust!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diceman89
Crazy, let me know next time you go down to Davenport, I should be able to go, as long as it is on a weekend.
I don't know when we're going next but it's across the street from Big Creek Lumber on Highway 1, north of Davenport. Good slope site.
Oct 03, 2012, 08:45 AM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
Yeah, I have been there. Driven by there many times, just have not flown there yet. I think a couple of us might head out there one day this weekend.
Oct 14, 2012, 07:22 PM
Kevin, Sean, and I with good conditions at Danvenport this weekend.
Oct 16, 2012, 12:32 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Are the conditions there suitable for floaters? My three current "fliers" are a Gentle Lady, a Sprit Elite, and a Radian, each lighter than the next. The Spirit might actually be OK, it's a bit heavier at 33 oz, and has the flat wing slope configuration.

Of course, I cans ee about getting the Thorn or Vengance running, they'll take anything.
Oct 16, 2012, 02:46 PM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
LiL, let me know if you go, I am always down to fly in Davenport, as long as the wind is good.
Oct 16, 2012, 03:34 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Will do.

It'll be a while before I can get more receivers, but maybe I can play musical Rxs. We'll see.
Oct 17, 2012, 12:45 AM
Elevons or bust!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot
Are the conditions there suitable for floaters? My three current "fliers" are a Gentle Lady, a Sprit Elite, and a Radian, each lighter than the next. The Spirit might actually be OK, it's a bit heavier at 33 oz, and has the flat wing slope configuration.

Of course, I cans ee about getting the Thorn or Vengance running, they'll take anything.
So far, for the days that I've been to Davenport, I would say a floater on this slope would be lost forever unless it can penetrate well... but I haven't been there enough to say that it's always that hard wind. It was between 15 - 30 mph wind when I went.

Anyone else know more?
Oct 17, 2012, 02:31 PM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
I was there the weekend before last and it was 14mph. Perfect for us slopers. As far as the BOT, I saw one up at Coyote Hills last Saturday flying in 16mph wind, but he soon came down and got his sloper.