Thread Tools
Dec 13, 2012, 05:13 PM
I Fly!
jrtubb's Avatar
Thanks Matt for the detail pictures I managed to make a replacement part! Since the wing took damage I decided to try some weathering. Not sure I like it this way yet.
Name: 100_0297.jpg
Views: 138
Size: 182.2 KB
Description: Name: 100_0298.jpg
Views: 141
Size: 116.8 KB
Description: Name: 100_0299.jpg
Views: 134
Size: 167.6 KB
Description:
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 13, 2012, 05:33 PM
Parkstormer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb
Thanks Matt for the detail pictures I managed to make a replacement part! Since the wing took damage I decided to try some weathering. Not sure I like it this way yet.
Attachment 5370719Attachment 5370720Attachment 5370721
Looks good to me!
Dec 13, 2012, 07:21 PM
I Fly!
jrtubb's Avatar
Looks good in pictures. Getting the dents out I put too much heat on the foam so there is some 'alligator' skin now which bugs me.
Dec 22, 2012, 07:14 PM
Registered User
I've been a fan of the Albatros fighter for years so I couldn't resist this one and it makes a good mate to my PZ SE5a. What did not appeal was the colour scheme which though attractive just did not suit me. I therefore repainted the DVa in the style of Leutnant Klein of Jasta 5.

All of the painting was done using artists acrylic by brush painting. I did peel off the crosses on both the upper surfaces of the top wing and from the fin rudder as I thought these very poor being bubbled and peeling. Some paper templates allowed me to mark out repacements and then I repainted them.

I wanted a pale "gold" colour to the plywood fuselage and so a light brush of Raw Sienna was given followed by just thin black lines for the panel joints.

Due to Christmas and some exceedingly hot weather I probably won't put her up until later this week but by then I should have added some inlet manifolds and coolant tubes. Sorry guys, I'm not bothering with rigging just out of practicality.

Incidentaly the whole change took around 15 hours.
Dec 22, 2012, 07:22 PM
Registered User
A second shot but as yet without those additions.
Dec 23, 2012, 02:39 AM
I review RC Products
GBLynden's Avatar
Cool looking plane! It doesn't look as big as it is in the pictures.
Jan 06, 2013, 11:42 AM
Registered User
Michael Heer's Avatar
I placed mine in the back of my Prius this past Thursday before I went into work extra early. I was done working for the day about 2:00 and it was a beautiful day to fly and the local park on my way home was vacant. I had a wonderful flight and even did some flying between the trees as I was feeling on top of my game. A wonderful flight all the way to the landing by second base and the roll out to third base. Mine is still stock but I love what Dave has done to his. She looks terrific. So glad I sneaked in a flight Thursday because this weekend is a bust with fog yesterday and rain today. Even it it clears this afternoon we are putting away Christmas decorations. Sue is nice to have such a nice plane to use as a base for special painting/finishing projects. Mike H
Jan 14, 2013, 06:03 PM
Registered User
Michael Heer's Avatar
A nicely painted and weathered Albatros was on display at the AMA Expo this past weekend. Mike Heer
Feb 03, 2013, 12:44 AM
Registered User
redbaron1's Avatar
Hello fellow pilots, I'm a great fan of the warbirds and the Albatros is no acception. This beauty is a must for me as my rcgroup handle does read Redbaron and whats a Redbaron without an Albatros. The trouble is I just got this today as we have been waiting for it here in Australia for ages and to find one thats PNP is a much added bonus. I need some advice as to the characteristics of this thing of beauty. I do own a PZ SE5a and love that one to pieces and was wandering if she flies the same way. From much video here on youtube one can see an awful lot of nosing over. I do realise the CG's vertical line is very near the wheel axis which contributes to this dilemma but is there a way to land this lady with the minumum chances of nosing over. You guys are the best bunch of pilots to ask for advice as many of you have own one a while now.
Feb 03, 2013, 05:45 AM
Love Flying History
mustangloyd's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron1
Hello fellow pilots, I'm a great fan of the warbirds and the Albatros is no acception. This beauty is a must for me as my rcgroup handle does read Redbaron and whats a Redbaron without an Albatros. The trouble is I just got this today as we have been waiting for it here in Australia for ages and to find one thats PNP is a much added bonus. I need some advice as to the characteristics of this thing of beauty. I do own a PZ SE5a and love that one to pieces and was wandering if she flies the same way. From much video here on youtube one can see an awful lot of nosing over. I do realise the CG's vertical line is very near the wheel axis which contributes to this dilemma but is there a way to land this lady with the minumum chances of nosing over. You guys are the best bunch of pilots to ask for advice as many of you have own one a while now.
Baron,
she is a great flyer, but the landings are tricky, but not undoible. It just takes practice to hit it perfect, and once you've got it Oh what a feeling. This bird has helped me with landing my WWII warbirds as well. Hope you enjoy
Feb 06, 2013, 01:31 PM
Registered User
echaban's Avatar
I have a DX6i. Are there any recommended Aileron/Rudder mix setting for this bird?
Feb 10, 2013, 10:10 AM
Registered User
kevin whitesell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by echaban
I have a DX6i. Are there any recommended Aileron/Rudder mix setting for this bird?
Echaban- i got my alby as soon as it was available in Canada.At that time there was no recommended aileron/rudder mix.What i did was i mixed a conservative 12% RUDDER TO AILERON.That mix is still there in my dx6i for my alby and for me i love the way my alby flys.Experiment and find your mix-enjoy bud!-kevin
Feb 20, 2013, 07:52 PM
Registered User

was ready to buy


I was doing my research on this plane in preparation to pulling the trigger when I ran across a review done by this guy Z8rc. He really hit this Alby hard, What an unhappy experience and poor rating he gave this plane. Is there anything behind his statements? Are others glossing over the real weaknesses he was so upset over? Can anyone shed some light here, this while not being my first ww1 bipe ( I have built flown and crashed many scratch builts)would be my first parkzone anything.
Feb 20, 2013, 08:08 PM
I Fly!
jrtubb's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by davovinch
I was doing my research on this plane in preparation to pulling the trigger when I ran across a review done by this guy Z8rc. He really hit this Alby hard, What an unhappy experience and poor rating he gave this plane. Is there anything behind his statements? Are others glossing over the real weaknesses he was so upset over? Can anyone shed some light here, this while not being my first ww1 bipe ( I have built flown and crashed many scratch builts)would be my first parkzone anything.
I don't know that review at all. The Albatros has been featured and reviewed in I think 4 RC magazines and has received outstanding marks. I used to build and fly glow planes in the 90s including several Sig Skybolts and Goldberg Ultimates. One thing I always remember with test flying biplanes is how if you had any wing misalignment you had your hands full on that first flight. When I test flew this bird it was almost perfect with only a couple of clicks of trim.

Landings are tricky only because of the narrow wheel spacing and the need to fly the plane in to land. On my first flight I did half a dozen touch and goes to get the hang of it. When I fly at our field I always get compliments on how nice she flies. You will love this bird.
Feb 28, 2013, 02:46 AM
Registered User
I got my flying fix in yesterday!!

Sorry, no vid.

The skis are Dubro Snowbird skis. http://hobby.dubro.com/publisher/lat...bird-Snow-Skis


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article Horizon Hobby ParkZone Ultra-Micro F4U Corsair BNF Review Spackles94 Micro Ready-to-Fly 18 Aug 01, 2012 11:09 AM
Article Horizon Hobby ParkZone Mk IX Spitfire BNF with Retracts Review Michael Heer Electric Warbirds 18 May 13, 2012 08:28 PM
Article Horizon Hobby ParkZone Ultra-Micro Pole Cat BNF Review sun.flyer Micro Ready-to-Fly 18 Feb 08, 2012 11:37 AM
Article Horizon Hobby ParkZone F-27Q Stryker BNF Review Tram Flying Wings 7 Nov 13, 2011 10:50 AM