Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:49 PM
Vantasstic is online now
Find More Posts by Vantasstic
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma View Post
Hi Vantasstic,

Is there a consensus on when to use motor stop vs always running?

It seems always running is better for acro where one may hit low throttle during a maneuver and some power still going to the motors is beneficial.

And motor stop seems better if one is more likely to crash and not be quick enough to disarm the motors?


Also I thought I read somewhere it is good to set the motors to arm / disarm only with one (or a few) clicks of negative trim on the throttle? (ie keep the trim neutral except when arming / disarming.) This stops the motors being unintentionally disarmed during flight thus letting gravity have its wicked way!
I personally don't like the motors spinning when armed and with my throttle in full cutoff. Some like it because they know the system is armed. When disarmed the motors should never turn.

I've heard similar that some like the motors to keep spinning for aerobatics so they always have the motors spinning when armed. I have accidentally brought my throttle to low on rolls/flips and saw the motors spool down during the maneuver...never caused any problems though as I was always high enough and just bumped the throttle up. A way around this is just increase your throttle trim (after arming) until the motors are just running, fly, and reduce the trim after landing to stop the motors. I've done this before too, but now just don't worry about it.

In the end, I thinks it's just a matter of personal preference. Do it the way that feels and works right for you.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:58 PM
skipper1 is online now
Find More Posts by skipper1
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma View Post
Hi Skipper,

I think he's using the PPM sum input. If you look at the pictures of the top of his quad you can see the 3 points soldered in next to the spektrum satellite connector (on the back left arm). The pins between the frame and D7 (signal) and the two next to it (VCC & GND) need to be connected as per Nanowii manual section 2.3.2. This gives up to 8 channels down 1 servo lead.

You can see the connections clearly in this pic (View big).



Cheers
Yes, I think you're right. I've been talking or emailing with Paul in Germany and this is what he said about using a Spektrum rx;
"if you have a Spektrum satelite you can connect and use it directly (binded before over the ARxxx), in the tx the values to 125% and you should be fine."
I'm sure everything will make sense once I have the frame in my hands.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:49 AM
Soma is offline
Find More Posts by Soma
:)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper1 View Post
Yes, I think you're right. I've been talking or emailing with Paul in Germany and this is what he said about using a Spektrum rx;
"if you have a Spektrum satelite you can connect and use it directly (binded before over the ARxxx), in the tx the values to 125% and you should be fine."
I'm sure everything will make sense once I have the frame in my hands.
Hi Skipper,

I haven't done it yet but will try soon, however I think this is what needs to be done...

1. Bind the Satellite Rx (connected into a normal Rx) to a spare model memory in your radio.

2. When you solder the Nanowii to the Nanoquad make sure the 3 pins for the Satellite Rx are connected to the board. Refer to the Nanowii manual here section 2.3.3.

3. Plug the Sat Rx into the connector on the left rear arm of the Nanoquad.

4. Define the Sat Rx in the Multiwii code. Code is on the Nanoquad page.
This section of the code needs to be edited...

/********************** Spektrum Satellite Reciver *******************************/
/* The following lines apply only for Spektrum Satellite Receiver
Spektrum Satellites are 3V devices. DO NOT connect to 5V!
For MEGA boards, attach sat grey wire to RX1, pin 19. Sat black wire to ground. Sat orange wire to Mega board's 3.3V (or any other 3V to 3.3V source).
For PROMINI, attach sat grey to RX0. Attach sat black to ground. */
#define SPEKTRUM 1024
//#define SPEKTRUM 2048

I hope that's all right, anyone let me know if not and I'll edit the response.

Cheers.

edit forgot to add this thread on speky sats...
MultiWii support for Spektrum Satellites
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1504116
Last edited by Soma; Oct 21, 2012 at 04:04 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:04 PM
warthox is offline
Find More Posts by warthox
Registered User
heres a photo of the bottom where you can see the solder'balls'.




and some more from evening.





Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:09 PM
AndyBra is offline
Find More Posts by AndyBra
Registered User

My Mini


Hi All

Here is my version. T. Motors were a bit pricey so I have used Turnigy ones. Turnigy 10A esc's. Had to mount the motors underneath due to the prop drivers and therefore needed to raise the frame off the ground so extended the landing gear.

What do you reakon? All up weight with 2S 450 lipo is 220g. Hovered it indoors tonight for a quick test, seems good!!

Kind opinions accepted :-)





Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:02 PM
Ceasar is offline
Find More Posts by Ceasar
NanoQuad,250DFC,V120D02S-2S
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBra View Post
Hi All

Here is my version. T. Motors were a bit pricey so I have used Turnigy ones. Turnigy 10A esc's. Had to mount the motors underneath due to the prop drivers and therefore needed to raise the frame off the ground so extended the landing gear.

What do you reakon? All up weight with 2S 450 lipo is 220g. Hovered it indoors tonight for a quick test, seems good!!

Kind opinions accepted :-)
What Turnigys did you use ?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:24 PM
Soma is offline
Find More Posts by Soma
:)
Thanks for the pix Warthox. Shows your 'balls' clearly

I'll link the pix too in the OP.

Man that is one nice machine


Quote:
Originally Posted by warthox View Post
heres a photo of the bottom where you can see the solder'balls'.

Last edited by Soma; Oct 22, 2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:30 PM
Soma is offline
Find More Posts by Soma
:)
Hi Andy and nice build mate!

Its good to see the size of the 10A ESCs there. Are they the plush? Flashed?
I like how you've shortened the Rx lead too.

Could you update the post with a pic from the side too? So we can see the motors on the frame more clearly? What motors did you choose?

I'll link to your build in the OP as well.

Look forward to seeing it fly

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBra View Post
Hi All

Here is my version. T. Motors were a bit pricey so I have used Turnigy ones. Turnigy 10A esc's. Had to mount the motors underneath due to the prop drivers and therefore needed to raise the frame off the ground so extended the landing gear.

What do you reakon? All up weight with 2S 450 lipo is 220g. Hovered it indoors tonight for a quick test, seems good!!

Kind opinions accepted :-)
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:42 AM
AndyBra is offline
Find More Posts by AndyBra
Registered User

Updates and answers


Hi

The ESC's are standard Turnigy Plush 10A 9gram.

The motors are Turnigy Park 250 2200kv.

Because of the mount and the fact that I wanted to use 3 blade props I had to modify the mount by drilling through to push to motors further up. You don't have to do this but you would need a higher undercarriage to protect them from the ground. If using a 2 blade. they can mount on top as normal as the motor has a built in prop saver mount on the other end. (I removed the long screws and replaced them with grub screws).

I will try to get some flying shots later this week!

As a matter of interest, where can I find a good explanation of PID's. Both this and my larger Nanowii quad have a slow YAW rate and despite trying a few things its still slow - any ideas?





Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:33 AM
Vantasstic is online now
Find More Posts by Vantasstic
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Vantasstic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBra View Post
Hi

The ESC's are standard Turnigy Plush 10A 9gram.

The motors are Turnigy Park 250 2200kv.

Because of the mount and the fact that I wanted to use 3 blade props I had to modify the mount by drilling through to push to motors further up. You don't have to do this but you would need a higher undercarriage to protect them from the ground. If using a 2 blade. they can mount on top as normal as the motor has a built in prop saver mount on the other end. (I removed the long screws and replaced them with grub screws).

I will try to get some flying shots later this week!

As a matter of interest, where can I find a good explanation of PID's. Both this and my larger Nanowii quad have a slow YAW rate and despite trying a few things its still slow - any ideas?




PIDs won't affect your yaw rate/speed. There's a separate box in the GUI for YAW Rate. Start this at ~.50 and test fly. Increase/Decrease as needed. There's two boxes for Pitch/Roll rates. The first is in the PID adjustment section. I usually start around 1.25 on this one. The other is Roll/Pitch RC Rate (I think). Be CAREFUL with this one. If you bump it up it can become hard to control real quick. Most of mine I leave this at 0.0 and just increase the other rate. If you bump it up, do so only ~.10 at a time.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:00 PM
AndyBra is offline
Find More Posts by AndyBra
Registered User

Re: yaw rate


Sorted brill
Thanks

Don't quite know how I missed that, obvious now you say it -Doh!

Andy
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:11 PM
mailman35 is offline
Find More Posts by mailman35
Registered User
any issues with this and using a non spektrum receiver?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:00 PM
warthox is offline
Find More Posts by warthox
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman35 View Post
any issues with this and using a non spektrum receiver?
i made many flights now and had no single issue with anything. i use graupner hott and the sumsignal output of the receiver.
why should there be issues while using other rx than spektrum???
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:35 PM
Hogster is offline
Find More Posts by Hogster
HeliAP'er!
Hogster's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBra View Post
Sorted brill
Thanks

Don't quite know how I missed that, obvious now you say it -Doh!

Andy
So this is where you hang out Andy

Here's the video I took of your Nanoquad today:

Flyduino NanoQuad - 25/10/12 (1 min 45 sec)


Cheers!


David
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:39 AM
XtremeWingRC is online now
Find More Posts by XtremeWingRC
Scobee Field & HTOWN FPV
XtremeWingRC's Avatar
Good video! Smooth flying. A little up and down but good


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log MiniWii NanoQuad V2 SebastianJ Multirotor Talk 113 Sep 17, 2014 07:54 AM
For Sale Flyduino Mega // Flyduino Cheese Plate // Gimbal // Servo // Suppo 2212/13 Motor &ESC Jessestr Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 12 Jul 20, 2012 07:57 AM
Help! Hexa-H configuration - Flyduino funfox Multirotor Talk 2 Mar 04, 2012 02:29 AM
Build Log MultiWii NanoQuad and NanoHex ben123 Multirotor Talk 32 Nov 30, 2011 03:46 PM