Thread Tools
Jan 17, 2013, 05:25 AM
:)
Thread OP
Finally Here's a vid!

I did edit some vids together, but at 11:30 last night iMovie lost all my edit points. Argh!
So I've just uploaded one battery pack.

Check out the near miss right on 2:00
Its about a meter high when it disappears off screen and heading straight down fast.
It was only how snappy the controls are and the power on hand that saved it.
Missed the ground by about 20cms I think? Its all a bit of a blur though

I love the sound of this thing

(3 min 26 sec)
Last edited by Soma; Jan 19, 2013 at 06:47 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2013, 05:41 AM
:)
Thread OP
This build guide is in progress.
I will soon add programming multiwii (Including links and files), shopping list, as well as word up the construction guide.

It is for the Nanoquad, Nanowii (of course), Flyduino 6A ESCs, Tiger MT1306s and Spektrum Satellite RX.

When its done I'll update Post #1 with links to builds I haven't yet, Felix's info on 3S, vids etc.
************************************************** ************************************************** *****************************
BUILD GUIDE

Breakout the landing gear - the frame is strong, I used a file to weaken, snapped off, then filed flush.

Pins - cut long ends first to not protrude from bottom of frame.



Cut long end of pins to not protude.



Nanowii - clean all solder points before assembling with isopropyl alcohol to remove all finger grease.



Hold in place with nylon screws. Just firm, not too tight, and above all level.



Nanowii soldered





Solder underneath so there are no sharp protusions to harm lipo. (Warthox's 'solder balls )



Prep ESCs - Power 18mm stipped 3mm ??AWG (to come AWG???)
- Signal 11mm stripped 3mm Flyduino ??AWG (to come AWG???)



Parma acrylic tape - is 3m brand I think. thinner = good.



Vice & wooden peg = sanity



Install ESCs in middle of solder pads - hold wires with toothpicks to solder. Beware, newer versions of the frame have the polarity reversed to mine apparently. Check yours carefully.





Trim MT1306s - 30mm from can.



Tin motor leads.
These wires are enamelled wire from the motor windings.
Set the iron to 350 degrees Celsius and hold a solder ball on the bare wire until you see the smoke of the enamel burning off.
Be very careful not to get too hot. In and out quick is good. Takes about 5-8 seconds?
Practice on the offcuts first! The ends should be tinned all over.
Hold motor 'leg' in peg in vice.



Mount motors with included screws - BLUE LOCTITE.
M2 washers are needed for proper spacing of screws from the windings. Has more bite too.



Solder motors to ESCs.
Tiger motors are consistent. Wires straight to ESC = CW (Front left Back right) - Flip 2 wires for CCW







I soldered the RX to the connector (badly ) (I did remove the splash of solder to the right after seeing it in the picture)



Stick RX with Acrylic tape and solder power wires

I did this before motors, easier to do motors first I think.



Under



Props - middle spacer - lock nuts M4???
I didn't balance the motors or the props and its smooth as silk

Wallah
Last edited by Soma; Jun 23, 2013 at 08:27 PM.
Jan 17, 2013, 06:11 AM
:)
Thread OP
Reserved
Jan 17, 2013, 06:28 AM
:)
Thread OP
Reserved
Jan 17, 2013, 07:25 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma
Finally Here's a vid!

I did edit some vids together, but at 11:30 last night iMovie lost all my edit points. Argh!
So I've just uploaded one battery pack.

Check out the near miss right on 2:00
Its about a meter high when it disappears off screen and heading straight down fast.
It was only how snappy the controls are and the power on hand that saved it.
Missed the ground by about 20cms I think? Its all a bit of a blur though

I love the sound of this thing. The sound's fairly quiet so headphones are good.

Oh and go easy on my skills, I've been flying 4 months now

Soma, I've been watching you. That is a great looking Nano you've built. Did I read earlier about your limited flying skills? Has Warthox been over there on vacation showing you how to fly? Your nose is growing, I wish I could do what you're doing. Congratulations and keep the videos coming.
Jan 17, 2013, 07:56 AM
:)
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper1
Soma, I've been watching you. That is a great looking Nano you've built. Did I read earlier about your limited flying skills? Has Warthox been over there on vacation showing you how to fly? Your nose is growing, I wish I could do what you're doing. Congratulations and keep the videos coming.
Ha! Thanks Skipper

You should see how many times I crash my trainer quad! But thats what its for right?

Yesterday, I learnt my first big, sweeping loops on my mQX. Man, what a buzz. I'm still smiling about it now I can't wait till I'm game to do them on this. Its like a BMW compared to a wippersnipper.

It would be a great feeling to be able to fly like Warthox, I can't imagine though. It is fun just trying

How's yours going mate?
Jan 17, 2013, 09:55 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma
Ha! Thanks Skipper

You should see how many times I crash my trainer quad! But thats what its for right?

Yesterday, I learnt my first big, sweeping loops on my mQX. Man, what a buzz. I'm still smiling about it now I can't wait till I'm game to do them on this. Its like a BMW compared to a wippersnipper.

It would be a great feeling to be able to fly like Warthox, I can't imagine though. It is fun just trying

How's yours going mate?
I'm on hold right now. I had to get Felix to help me out. Just as well, it's been way to cold to go out and fly. Then this summer it'll be way too hot. Always something.
I've been messing around with those new Hubsan X-4's & QR-1'.s. Perfect for indoor flying and learning.
I'm trying to get up the inspiration to finish up one of my F450's. I'm almost there but just can't get motivated.
Jan 17, 2013, 03:27 PM
:)
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper1
I'm on hold right now. I had to get Felix to help me out. Just as well, it's been way to cold to go out and fly. Then this summer it'll be way too hot. Always something.
I've been messing around with those new Hubsan X-4's & QR-1'.s. Perfect for indoor flying and learning.
I'm trying to get up the inspiration to finish up one of my F450's. I'm almost there but just can't get motivated.
Yeah its funny how these things need to wait for the right time

I wasn't in too much of a hurry for the Nanoquad because I knew it was beyond my flying skills, or at least my self discipline to take it slow Even now I almost crashed first time out.

Its also funny how things seem too hard, for too long... And then you start, breeze through it, and then wonder what all the fuss was about!

Little by little is the key I think. Loctite motor shafts & prop adapters today, flash ESCs tomorrow, solder power loom next etc etc.

It would be easier to have a dedicated work space though, I live in an apartment and need to set up on the kitchen table every time. What's working for me now is I have my Soldering iron, light, vice, etc on a board and just move that to the table and plug it in. Speeds things up a bit. I also don't like my kid being around solder fumes. So it all takes time one could be working.

Anyway all things happen in their own time. Make sure you keep us posted
Jan 17, 2013, 04:11 PM
Flight cadet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma
Finally Here's a vid!
Very nice flying, nothing wrong with your skills (flying and building)
Nice detailed buildlog -- thanks

do you have an estimate about flying time (with your skills) from full to empty and which battery pack did you order?
Jan 17, 2013, 05:12 PM
:)
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygen
Very nice flying, nothing wrong with your skills (flying and building)
Nice detailed buildlog -- thanks

do you have an estimate about flying time (with your skills) from full to empty and which battery pack did you order?
Thanks Oxygen! And the build log will get more detailed...

For lipo, I'm using this one but it's a bit small I think.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ade_130X_.html

It was my first outdoor flights so I limited it to 3:30. I'll work up from there when I see how much goes back into the packs. That was to 3.75V I think, so a bit more there.

I'll maybe try this some time...
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html
Remove the XT60 for weight and replace with deans micro.

Cheers.
Jan 17, 2013, 05:32 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma
Thanks Oxygen! And the build log will get more detailed...

For lipo, I'm using this one but it's a bit small I think.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ade_130X_.html

It was my first outdoor flights so I limited it to 3:30. I'll work up from there when I see how much goes back into the packs. That was to 3.75V I think, so a bit more there.

I'll maybe try this some time...
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html
Remove the XT60 for weight and replace with deans micro.

Cheers.
With the Nano, I think you want to be around 800-850mah.
Jan 17, 2013, 06:07 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma
Finally Here's a vid!

I did edit some vids together, but at 11:30 last night iMovie lost all my edit points. Argh!
So I've just uploaded one battery pack.

Check out the near miss right on 2:00
Its about a meter high when it disappears off screen and heading straight down fast.
It was only how snappy the controls are and the power on hand that saved it.
Missed the ground by about 20cms I think? Its all a bit of a blur though

I love the sound of this thing. The sound's fairly quiet so headphones are good.

Oh and go easy on my skills, I've been flying 4 months now

Nice flying Tex! and real nice save! I was thinking she came-in too fast 'n hard at that point.

I appreciate that your build pics are superb Hires shots, but huh! I didn't think it was so hands-on with the soldering of everything, oh and nice soldering work... except for the RX of course. It's a good-thing I enjoy soldering too.

The MQX sounds like a really solid learning platform, sadly the V929 I used would fall-out-of the sky when pushed hard... so I don't quite have the skillz or confidence yet.

Oh, and whars your Snow @? you seem to live in the "land of milk 'n honey" too... you can fly year round!
Jan 17, 2013, 07:27 PM
:)
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpsporb
Nice flying Tex! and real nice save! I was thinking she came-in too fast 'n hard at that point.

I appreciate that your build pics are superb Hires shots, but huh! I didn't think it was so hands-on with the soldering of everything, oh and nice soldering work... except for the RX of course. It's a good-thing I enjoy soldering too.

The MQX sounds like a really solid learning platform, sadly the V929 I used would fall-out-of the sky when pushed hard... so I don't quite have the skillz or confidence yet.

Oh, and whars your Snow @? you seem to live in the "land of milk 'n honey" too... you can fly year round!
Ha! I'll meet you half way with the snow. Its over 30 degrees C here today, just had almost a week of mid to high 30's. Lot of fires down south here in Oz. A happy medium would be good.

My mQX & V929 (with mQX board) does fall out of the sky too. Overloading current I think. Broke a CF arm this morning

Need a fine tip for soldering, I think mines 0.8mm or 0.6mm? Need to find out & put it in the log.

Gotta go boss is coming
Jan 19, 2013, 04:41 AM
:)
Thread OP
Hi Guys,

I'd like to ask for thoughts and input on what may be my next project.
An 'Economy Nanoquad'

The full Flyduino Nanoquad was always going to be my 'Sunday Best', my BMW
The thought of mistreating a quad like this is sacrilege.

But having now known how well this frame flies, I feel the need to upgrade my 'demolition derby' quad

Here's what I'm thinking...

* Using the Nanoquad frame
- this frame is TOUGH, simple, and not that expensive.
- the power distribution and ESC signal tracks should be useable.

* Mounting a 'Lemon Flip' FC & RX on 6mm standoffs.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=445
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=538
- wire in the four motor outputs and a ground. They are close to position, the wires just need to be crossed.
- wire a 5V line from one ESC BEC to the Flip.

* 6A Plush or maybe 10A ESCs for 3S?
- should just wire in as usual except for one power wire from a BEC.

* Cheaper Turnigy 18-11 or SK3 motors - The eternal search for a good cheap motor
- I have my eye on the RCLogger Eye 180 Extreme motors and props when available too.

* 2S and maybe 3S lipo.


I don't know how the LEDs are wired, whether they come from direct from lipo and will be damaged by 3S - just need to check Felix's post.
Or if the battery monitoring can be used? As Felix said the voltage divider resistors need to be changed for 3S.
I'm happy to go without both.

So all up it should be fairly cheap but very capable quad. Nothing should get too damadged and the motors should be cheap to replace.

Any thoughts / suggestions?
Last edited by Soma; Jan 19, 2013 at 07:24 PM.
Jan 19, 2013, 03:31 PM
Registered User
I think a Eco nano quad is a great idea looking forward to seeing your build I put up some motors in an earlier post maybe check them out , looking forward to your build


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log MiniWii NanoQuad V2 SebastianJ Multirotor Drone Talk 113 Sep 17, 2014 06:54 AM
For Sale Flyduino Mega // Flyduino Cheese Plate // Gimbal // Servo // Suppo 2212/13 Motor &ESC Jessestr Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 12 Jul 20, 2012 06:57 AM
Help! Hexa-H configuration - Flyduino funfox Multirotor Drone Talk 2 Mar 04, 2012 02:29 AM
Build Log MultiWii NanoQuad and NanoHex ben123 Multirotor Drone Talk 32 Nov 30, 2011 03:46 PM