Dec 06, 2014, 03:35 AM
Get One Up!!!
Some pictures of the Ares Moth at our local indoor meeting - supplied by ADS photomeister John , who takes full credit for the images. Thanks John
Last edited by leccyflyer; Jan 25, 2015 at 02:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2014, 06:26 PM
could this fly with a spectrum micro fpv camera?
Dec 29, 2014, 01:21 PM
bump
Dec 29, 2014, 01:48 PM
Kansas is windy.
I don't know how much that weighs but if its more than a couple of grams then probably not.
Dec 30, 2014, 03:53 AM
Get One Up!!!
I doubt that the Ares Tiger Moth could carry more than a few grams in payload - how much does that micro camera weigh?
Sep 07, 2015, 06:15 PM
a little kid at heart
Anyone know how to remove the motor? Still flying mine but the motor has died.

Thanks

Bill
Oct 07, 2015, 03:39 PM
a little kid at heart
So the saga continues... I replaced the motor...it did just pull out. But, i still had a surging no power issue. I took her apart and found 1 fet. So i replaced it with a new one and now good as new. I do believe this is the smallest micro out there. Are there smaller ones? Plantraco i guess others?

Bill
Dec 03, 2015, 02:38 AM
Dave Jones Model Engineering
Bill.

I had the same problem. Motor started surging above about half throttle. Put another motor in it but although it doesn't surge anymore, it has very little power and just about flies on full throttle.

What Fet did you use for the replacement? I'm not much on electronics but pretty good with micro soldering surface mount stuff.

Any info gratefully received.

Dave
Dec 06, 2015, 09:36 AM
Get One Up!!!
My Ares Tiger Moth is u/s at the moment. The rudder isn't functioning properly, with only minimal deflection and nowhere near enough to fly indoors. That follows failure of the hinge, which I replaced with a tiny strip of tape, but the actuator doesn't have the umph to make it work effectively.
Dec 06, 2015, 07:42 PM
a little kid at heart
Quote:
Originally Posted by davejones
Bill.

I had the same problem. Motor started surging above about half throttle. Put another motor in it but although it doesn't surge anymore, it has very little power and just about flies on full throttle.

What Fet did you use for the replacement? I'm not much on electronics but pretty good with micro soldering surface mount stuff.

Any info gratefully received.

Dave
Dave, Sorry i missed your question.

I bot the fets from digi-key. IRLML2502PBCFT-ND This is the replacment # as they have discontinued the one i used. ( i had an old one)

Wasnt too hard to do. You have to pull the board out which is secured by a magnet near the front (of course) and wiggle it out. You have to remove the servo as well just a screw. I actually cut around the foam above the board to gain access but now that i know it will wiggle out you may not have to.

There is only one fet on the far side of the board away from the motor wires.

Just clip the old fet off ( i used my wife jewelry wire snips). Tin the new fets legs ( i used a toothpick superglued to the top of it to hold it very very small) and hold the fet where the old one was and solder on very briefly.

Buy several fets from digikeuy they are cheap and dont destroy the board with heat. May take a few tries.

When i was done was like a new plane.

Good luck

Bill
Dec 06, 2015, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer
My Ares Tiger Moth is u/s at the moment. The rudder isn't functioning properly, with only minimal deflection and nowhere near enough to fly indoors. That follows failure of the hinge, which I replaced with a tiny strip of tape, but the actuator doesn't have the umph to make it work effectively.
My lower hinge tape failed and I replaced it with a tiny strip of Blenderm hinge tape. Works well.
Dec 06, 2015, 08:29 PM
Bill. Thanks for the info. I'll have a crack at that and let you know how I get on, although it probably won't be until after Christmas.

Dave
Last edited by davejones; Dec 06, 2015 at 08:35 PM.
Dec 06, 2016, 03:27 PM

Wiring polarity, unpluging, direction

For those who need to change the motor, or the rudder actuator
  • the rudder actuator connector is behind the motor connector.
  • the wires are quite flimsy, but flexible, and you don't need force. If you seem to need force then something is wrong...
  • the connectors both unplug easily, with needle point tweezers.
  • the socket is soldered to the board and stands a few mm proud of the board - don't pull this.
  • pull the plug which is even smaller and the first part after the wire.
  • the red motor wire should be aft.
  • I can't find any polarity marking for the rudder, but just reversing the connector will reverse the rudder movement
  • I think the connector is 1mm pitch - I will check next time
Last edited by mitchellj; Dec 06, 2016 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Typo

Quick Reply