Sep 26, 2012, 01:12 PM
How high will it go?
Thread OP
Discussion

Better way to wire anti-spark device

Don't know if this has been thought of before, but I made a diagram that shows a more effcient way of wiring up anti-spark devices on high voltage applications that will save you time, money and material. No modification needs to be done to your battery packs.
Last edited by antslake; Sep 26, 2012 at 01:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 26, 2012, 01:22 PM
Interesting, but I would like to see how you do one in reality, (photos), as cable flexibility including the resistor section can be important.
Sep 26, 2012, 01:33 PM
How high will it go?
Thread OP
I haven't done one yet, but I don't see there being a problem as the resistor wire is going to be light gauge and very flexible. Your concern would be identical either way you wire it. I can wire up one this week and take some pictures.
Sep 26, 2012, 01:47 PM
What's the big deal? It's been done much the same way for years.
Sep 26, 2012, 02:14 PM
How high will it go?
Thread OP
I have yet to see a wiring diagram like the one I posted. Usually modification is needed to both battery pack and esc wiring requiring lots of materials and time to do, especially if you have several battery packs. Similar to this:
Sep 26, 2012, 02:22 PM
How high will it go?
Thread OP
Also an article just published in Model Aviation pg94 also shows the less effective way of doing this. I wrote to the author of the article to explain my way.

I also just noticed on the RC-warbirds site, they have the same diagram that I just made for bullet connectors, but use that last one I posted for deans? I had never seen this before. Kind of figured I wasn't the first one to think of this.
Sep 26, 2012, 04:51 PM
The only downside I can see is the extra bulk of the additional connector. I use 4mm bullet connectors on my 450 heli packs, and I'm not sure I could fit another connector inline - but then there's not much of a spark with my little 450 packs.
Sep 26, 2012, 05:35 PM
How high will it go?
Thread OP
Well it's one more connector if you don't have one, but if you do it the other way it's going to be a lot less connectors and a lot less work to set up all your packs. That was the point, not whether you need one or not. The spark is not a good thing.
Sep 26, 2012, 05:53 PM
Yes, no offense intended, I can see the overall benefit of only having to mod the ESC, and keeping all the packs standard. I was just saying the additional bulk of the extra connector was the only downside I could think of. When I get around to building a 600 heli, I'll definitely consider adding the anti-spark device, if the ESC doesn't already have one built in.
Sep 26, 2012, 06:07 PM
To me, the bullet connectors from esprit models seems to provide the simplest method of preventing the spark.

http://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-afc-...s-4mm-75a.aspx

But, I'm cheap, and a simple resistor on my current bullet connectors will suffice.
Sep 26, 2012, 08:22 PM
The Turnigy Dlux 80 amp ESC has an arc supressor built in where a red wire coming out of it is touched to the main plus wire before you plug it in. Works very well

Gord.
Last edited by flypaper 2; Sep 26, 2012 at 08:32 PM.
Sep 26, 2012, 10:06 PM
How high will it go?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2
The Turnigy Dlux 80 amp ESC has an arc supressor built in where a red wire coming out of it is touched to the main plus wire before you plug it in. Works very well

Gord.
I have that very ESC in the marine model and I could never get the connection made fast enough after touching, and would get a spark anyway. In other words, there is no way (the way it came) to make the resistor connection, and then the main connection without breaking the resistor connection.
Sep 26, 2012, 10:11 PM
http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/nospark.html even gives you a resistor calculator
Sep 26, 2012, 10:43 PM
Antslake: I had the same problem till I took a bit of heatshrink peeled back where the wire solders to the Deans. Now I hold the jumper wire to that till I connect the Deans. No problem.

Gord.
Sep 27, 2012, 12:33 PM
This looks like a simple one, though it means the resistor lead is exposed and 'live' -

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...69&postcount=3

It's from this thread - anti spark in the Castle Creations vendor forum.

Quick Reply