Jan 31, 2013, 02:10 AM
The Sequel
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbgood
Hi JAK,
I have many flights with the aeronaut camprop 7x7,i didnt break any!
I will fly this weekend in Upstate Ny 27degrees,but im a diehard,
im gonna bring my Moray,and my RareBear,both are 4S,but the RareBear
will take the Moray easy,both are alot of fun!
keep in touch,
DB
DB how would you compare the two, esp from the point of view of a beginner. ie launch characteristics, size, keeping it close,and landing issues? The dihedral on the RB makes for a stabler plane? Auw a factor? And prop size? Re torque issues? Appreciate any comments! Thanks. Brendan
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2013, 06:17 PM
Fly Fast!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustflynow2
DB how would you compare the two, esp from the point of view of a beginner. ie launch characteristics, size, keeping it close,and landing issues? The dihedral on the RB makes for a stabler plane? Auw a factor? And prop size? Re torque issues? Appreciate any comments! Thanks. Brendan
Hi Brendan,
I would say for launching the RareBear is allittle easier,mine doesnt torque
roll much at all,has alot of right thrust(downthrust),built in already.. But with my Moray as long as i dont go to much higher then half throttle, with the 7x7 camprop,and 4S,just a tad of torque roll.
I did notice when setting up landing on my Moray that i slowed it down to much,
and i did a tipstall before,had to get a new wing thats all..I keep the speed up now.
Watts are around 530 ,4S TP 1800,7x7 prop(Moray).
420 watts,4S 850,apc 5.25x6.25 (RareBear)
Smaller size,weight the RareBear has it by 20mph or so!
Hope this helps,
DB
Jan 31, 2013, 07:06 PM
The Sequel
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbgood
Hi Brendan,
I would say for launching the RareBear is allittle easier,mine doesnt torque
roll much at all,has alot of right thrust(downthrust),built in already.. But with my Moray as long as i dont go to much higher then half throttle, with the 7x7 camprop,and 4S,just a tad of torque roll.
I did notice when setting up landing on my Moray that i slowed it down to much,
and i did a tipstall before,had to get a new wing thats all..I keep the speed up now.
Watts are around 530 ,4S TP 1800,7x7 prop(Moray).
420 watts,4S 850,apc 5.25x6.25 (RareBear)
Smaller size,weight the RareBear has it by 20mph or so!
Hope this helps,
DB
Thanks heaps db! Nice size prop on the rb. Amps are up? Do ya like the 6s set up of olllian? Reckon he has taken it to the next level!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=331
Jan 31, 2013, 10:25 PM
cant leave things stock
thanks DB I also have a HK rarebear and I have nanotech 1000 4s 25-50C for that one :-) way too much fun. I fly with a 5X5 or a 5.1X4.5 spoonie prop and use a turnegy plush 30 in that one.
in the Moray I now have a 60-70 HK ESC with a HK 3 amp UBEC, nanotech2200 45-90C 4S I got my new wing on tonight so Im ready to fly both this weekend and am excited ... it was too windy last weekend when I went out ... I got way down wind to come in for a landing and got briefly disoriented and was on reduced power due to a low bat, went into a stall and was unable to recover before hitting a small tree :-( I could have put the wing back together but the LE got pretty torn up from the impact.
the rare bear slows down a little better then the moray and requires less runway to land both are like they are on rails...
anyway enough rambling from me
good night all
JAK

edit I did buy 2 APC 7X8 props to try on the Moray but I dont think they will unload well
Jan 31, 2013, 10:43 PM
olllian
Thread OP
I will post some more clips of my moray with the cam forward. I am loving the moray on 6s just wish it last for 10min I think I have masterd this plane now. I also have the rearbear on 4s 45-90c with a 3200kv heli motor 70amp esc doing 122 mph.
Jan 31, 2013, 10:50 PM
The Sequel
Quote:
Originally Posted by olllian
I will post some more clips of my moray with the cam forward. I am loving the moray on 6s just wish it last for 10min I think I have masterd this plane now. I also have the rearbear on 4s 45-90c with a 3200kv heli motor 70amp esc doing 122 mph.
You got some rpm numbers there olllian?
Jan 31, 2013, 11:08 PM
olllian
Thread OP
If you guys want a fast fun fighter go with his motor and a 5x5 or 5x6 prop. It bolts up to the stock motor mount and just push the shaft out the other side =)

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8138
Feb 01, 2013, 12:04 AM
cant leave things stock
http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...ef=MD2510-2700
microdans stuff is light and powerful I have the 2505 2900kv on my skyfun I think Im going to mount that on my rarebear
I know we are getting off topic here it is a Moray thread :-) sorry
JAK
Feb 01, 2013, 02:02 PM
Fly Fast!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstoll
thanks DB I also have a HK rarebear and I have nanotech 1000 4s 25-50C for that one :-) way too much fun. I fly with a 5X5 or a 5.1X4.5 spoonie prop and use a turnegy plush 30 in that one.
in the Moray I now have a 60-70 HK ESC with a HK 3 amp UBEC, nanotech2200 45-90C 4S I got my new wing on tonight so Im ready to fly both this weekend and am excited ... it was too windy last weekend when I went out ... I got way down wind to come in for a landing and got briefly disoriented and was on reduced power due to a low bat, went into a stall and was unable to recover before hitting a small tree :-( I could have put the wing back together but the LE got pretty torn up from the impact.
the rare bear slows down a little better then the moray and requires less runway to land both are like they are on rails...
anyway enough rambling from me
good night all
JAK

edit I did buy 2 APC 7X8 props to try on the Moray but I dont think they will unload well
JAK,
Let me know how the apc 7x8 props work on your Moray if
you fly it this weekend!
Thanks,
DB
Feb 01, 2013, 07:43 PM
Quote:
i would say around 90mph with 7x6 apc and 40-90c lipos is my guess!
Will the 7x6 APC fit the stock motor with ease? If not, what prop is best for speed and run time other than stock that fits the existing motor set up?
Feb 01, 2013, 09:52 PM
olllian
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooplane66
Will the 7x6 APC fit the stock motor with ease? If not, what prop is best for speed and run time other than stock that fits the existing motor set up?
Yes and the apc7x6 works well with stock setup.
Feb 02, 2013, 12:20 AM
cant leave things stock
hey olllian I got my watt meter and the 7X8 with the timing set at 30* watts are at about 400
7X6 prop at 15* was just over 300 and the 7X8 at 15* was about 350 the RPM is higher with the timing at 30*. I dont think the over square prop will unload that well unless in a dive, I was thinking about putting on the 8X8 and pulling the timing back to 7* Id bet that would be about 700 watts ... I wonder what the stock motor is capable of before it starts to make heat and effeciency falls off .... when I was doing motor R&D I did many 25KW pulls and watched as heat increased how effeciency would fall off. I did get my prop drive 35/36 1800 today ... did you have a plate that will bolt this to the stock mount?
take care
JAK
edit

the battery on the tests above was a little low Ill repost over the weekend corrected numbers ... I thought they were a little low.
did a pull with the 7X8 on a fully charged battery 2200 45-90C 4S and got about 560 watts at 30*.... so it might be safe to add 150 watts to the above numbers

the rare bear on a 1000 25-50c 4S pulled just under 300 watts with a 5.1X4.5 spoonie prop
JAK
Last edited by jstoll; Feb 02, 2013 at 01:09 AM.
Feb 02, 2013, 01:44 AM
Taking the experience others gained with the (more draggy) Dogfighter with the 7x8, the sleek Moray should make use of the higher pitch speed even at level flight. At least it would be worth a serious try. In order to keep the motor in the more efficient range probably with lower timing?
Feb 02, 2013, 03:45 AM
Quote:
Yes and the apc7x6 works well with stock setup.
is it the sport 7x6 and 7x5 APC props that I should be ordering? or another type of APC?
Feb 02, 2013, 02:42 PM
cant leave things stock
there is a 7X6 electric prop and a 7X5 electric and sport versions of both I think the e props are a bit more effecient but the sport props are more robust and will take the abuse of landing a bit better.... they also offer the 7X6 in a slow fly .... this is a very thin and flimsy prop that probably wont hold up at all
the 7X8 is only offered in a sport version so its probably a little less effecient but what the hell....
they have a 6.5X6.5 pylon prop with I think is good for higher RPM applications then this one
the 8X8 is probably good on 3S but will suck your batteries down fast on 4S ... not a good choice for 4s
Id say for speed and effeciency the 7X6E is the best option and the 7X6 sport if you are breaking allot of props on landings ... Im going to try the 7X8 tomorrow when I go out and post my findings on that one.... maybe I can get video and someone here can doppler it....I need to get a radar gun
have a great day
JAK
the above mentioned are APC and offered by tower

Quick Reply