Sep 25, 2012, 06:49 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
Foam is a great learning tool! IMO the crack yak is the most precise EPP plane you can buy. I learned on balsa also.

If your comfortable hucking balsa, then so be it! Sounds like your doing well! Your progressing faster than I did! I spent one season just mastering the harrier.. Then again, the planes were NOT this good!!!!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 25, 2012, 07:28 AM
Just flitting about!!
Hey Bryan,
Living up there wouldn't epp be too brittle nine months of the year?

Of course everyone has the right to learn what and how ever they want. I'm no pro either and I smashed several balsa planes up early in my 3d trip flying lower then my skill set could accommodate.

Now, I can't really torque roll more then two rolls, but i can hover all my planes with ease 1" off the strip and harrier indefinitely the same without fear or brain melt down which I think all comes down to practice, muscle memory and practice.

Foam taught me throttle control and still is the tool of choice for every new trick I want to try and learn.
Foam first, small balsa, then up in size.

Each scale does things differently.

Can't wait for the 91" to make it over here, I have a great Q80-8M wanting a home.
Sep 25, 2012, 07:29 AM
FREE VAPOR TRAILS
Thread OP
Thanks again for the kind words guys.

I agree that a foamie is an awesome tool for learning 3D, especially low. I recently got a Telink 48" Extra together and it has done wonders to get me comfortable flying low rifle rolls. But it's not absolutely essential. I learned 3D before foamies were invented and as long as you have good recovery techniques you're fine...and besides, some foamies recover differently than wood planes so it's possible to learn bad habits with them. Having the most time on your main plane is what will make you most comfortable with it.
Sep 25, 2012, 09:15 AM
Сделем Америку Великой Снова
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger
LoneWolf, not trying to be a problem but only trying to offer suggestions on technique.

Low and slow is a state of mind and muscle memory dude. You ain't gonna get low and slow on the sim nor flying 60" balsa alone.

All the top dogs flog foam as much as they flog balsa to hone the skill sets and muscle memory.

But then again.... what do I know.... party on dude!!
No problem--just wondering why you say two opposing things simultaneously (nice flying...destroy). I don't think it was good flying, but it was the footage closest to the wide angle gopro.

Do you own the MXS? If so, let's see what you do with it on a 16x8 prop with less than a dozen flights in the wind. This is the first 3D Plane I've flown with so much torque. I did set up a plane last night in the simulator with a lot of torque, and it harriers like the MXS, so I think I will do better. I have a copycat HK balsa plane that flies more like an edge in the simulator...but, like I said, I just ordered a 60" Edge from Extreme Flight (waiting for the paypal invoice hint hint), and I expect that it will help me fly these bigger planes down low. I had no problem flying low with my extra. The extra was on a 15x6 and didn't have nearly the torque roll effect of the MXS on a 16x8.

For winter indoor I am really looking at that crack yak.
Sep 25, 2012, 10:08 AM
Okay, so my last video sucked. I'm going to delete it.

Here is a full flight video from maiden day.

64" MXS EXP 6th flight (6 min 1 sec)

I'm not saying I'm DanielPH, but my videos do show what a mere mortal (old guy who started flying RC last July) can do with the plane...and other mere mortals might do better if they have flown a 3D plane with a big prop before. I expect I will do better in the future now that I have a model in the simulator that behaves like the MXS in harrier flight. (Apolgies to EF if my vids are hurting sales...just sharing the types of videos I also like to see--in addition to the other videos I enjoy showing how the airframe performs in the hands of a master.)
Sep 25, 2012, 10:39 AM
doh!
When the plane starts to torque on you, have you tried giving right aileron? You can counter the torque and help it to stop spinning around. After a while you learn to be proactive and automagically give the right aileron input before the plane even starts to torque around on you. Once it starts it can be harder to stop it.
Looking at the video I can't see that the aileron ever deflects, though it's a bit hard to tell, so I figured I would mention trying that.
Sep 25, 2012, 10:43 AM
Yep, you're right ryan. Also thanks Ducati Mechanic.
Sep 25, 2012, 10:50 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
For practicing orientation, I find it takes a good amount of skill to torque roll while only using ele and rud for corrections- great practice.
Sep 25, 2012, 10:57 AM
TEAM EXTREME!
For what it's worth, the ailerons on the MXS are so powerful that I've done reverse torque rolls with it. I've got a 16x8 prop and there's nothing to be afraid of! At 3:54 in my video I've got the MXS in a perfectly vertical torque roll with the ailerons neutral and the torque roll-rate is very managable.
Last edited by danielph; Sep 25, 2012 at 11:03 AM.
Sep 25, 2012, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Foam is a great learning tool! IMO the crack yak is the most precise EPP plane you can buy. I learned on balsa also.

If your comfortable hucking balsa, then so be it! Sounds like your doing well! Your progressing faster than I did! I spent one season just mastering the harrier.. Then again, the planes were NOT this good!!!!
What the heck Tim ?? Your quote button doesn't work for me. Your right about that years back their weren't any excellent aids in learning 3d. You did it 3 mistakes high.
Sep 25, 2012, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielph
For what it's worth, the ailerons on the MXS are so powerful that I've done reverse torque rolls with it. I've got a 16x8 prop and there's nothing to be afraid of! At 3:54 in my video I've got the MXS in a perfectly vertical torque roll with the ailerons neutral and the torque roll-rate is very managable.
I agree...I just need practice.
Sep 25, 2012, 04:06 PM
Just flitting about!!
Don't have the MXS yet, none in my country to be got.

I do have a Xoar 16x8 on 6s on both my edge and my extra and love it. The torque effect you speak of is quite common on big proped 3D setups.
Sep 25, 2012, 04:21 PM
Volts>amps
Meh its all relative and having fun in the end. I spent a good chunk burning practicing inverted stuff and while I got better at the manuevers, nothing compared to this

Kids are awesome (1 min 23 sec)

So have fun go at your own pace.
Sep 25, 2012, 04:29 PM
When I watched that, I was worried he was going to trip and fall onto the fuselage.
Sep 25, 2012, 05:47 PM
congrats cody!

sorry to report that 1 of thouse s9070sb has locked today during flight.

Quick Reply