Jan 15, 2020, 01:03 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeech
For the observant, yes I've recycled a 160 photo instead of taking a new one of the 205. It's because they look identical from the outside (other than the laser engraving and the label). I'll probably get around to updating it at some point but honestly, it's nowhere near the top of the list.
Sorry, dude. I don't see well enough to pick upon that. They are certainly beautiful servos.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 21, 2020, 02:07 PM
I'm back in the MXS game after a couple year hiatus. I only flew it a couple times last summer and that was the first time in two years. My batteries were crapping out so I spent last summer just flying mostly my 48" planes. I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to Promodeler servo's, the Torque motor and new 6s batteries, no more 4s for me. Man these servo's are super nice, so smooth and strong. Just waiting on the batts, prop, and nice weather.
Feb 21, 2020, 02:40 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carinteriorguy
Just waiting on the batts, prop, and nice weather.
The weather is nice here and you and I were supposed to go flying anyway! We've got a three day fly-in over this coming weekend. Get in the car now and you can be here in the morning!
Feb 21, 2020, 04:40 PM
It would take four hours to clear Northern Virginia in Friday rush. I will be in Miami overnight next Wednesday then down to Key West with my wife for four days. A quick vacation to break up winter, not that we've had much winter this year.
Feb 21, 2020, 05:12 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
No, not much winter though it is a bit chilly today.
The MXS is easily my favorite EF plane, built like a tank, light on the wing.
She does it all so well and makes her 8 years old design seem cutting edge.
Tomorrow it'll be in the 50's so I'm taking tomorrow morning off from work to fly, fly fly!
Feb 21, 2020, 07:54 PM
My batts are supposed to be here Sunday. I'm off for a while now so maybe a chance to put it in the air if the weather cooperates.
Feb 25, 2020, 04:01 PM
Just got a chance to test my setup. They recommend a Xoar 16x7 prop but since all I have is a 16x8 I gave it a try. On a brand new fully charged battery, Zippy Compact 6s 3700mah 25C, it pulled 70amps for over 1500 watts and settled at 69 amps still over 1500 watts. According to EF this motor is fine at 70 amps. I should be fine with this setup at least until I can order a 16x7 next week when I get back from vacation. I’m sure since this was a static ground test it will pull less juice in the air so at least until summer heat sets in I’ll be fine. Any input?
Feb 25, 2020, 04:54 PM
Irg
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Quote:
Just got a chance to test my setup. They recommend a Xoar 16x7 prop but since all I have is a 16x8 I gave it a try. On a brand new fully charged battery, Zippy Compact 6s 3700mah 25C, it pulled 70amps for over 1500 watts and settled at 69 amps still over 1500 watts. According to EF this motor is fine at 70 amps. I should be fine with this setup at least until I can order a 16x7 next week when I get back from vacation. Iím sure since this was a static ground test it will pull less juice in the air so at least until summer heat sets in Iíll be fine. Any input?
assuming this is the airboss 80 and the 4016 MKII motor? I ran a 16x8 Falcon with that combination and never had any issues, however, it was on the TurboBushmaster and I very rarely used full throttle for any considerable amount of time.

imo, if you're conservative with full throttle runs and ambient temperatures are reasonable you'll be fine. give it the finger test after the first flight.
Feb 25, 2020, 05:33 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Dropping to 16/7 will give you much cooler temps and about another minute's run time while only giving up a little power...… not enough to matter. Good move.
Feb 25, 2020, 06:24 PM
They Call him Dead!
Xoar 16x7 is way to go in my neck of the woods :-)
Feb 25, 2020, 07:18 PM
I’m running it on a Talon 90. I’ll just switch to a 16x7 and keep the 16x8 for a spare.
Feb 26, 2020, 04:02 AM
Let me see your war face
I'd suggest 15x8 is ideal for this plane. The extra speed adds even more momentum to its wild tumbles, and the missing inch of diameter isn't a big deal because this thing is not a low-and-slow airframe.
Feb 26, 2020, 05:18 AM
Thanks all.
Mar 09, 2020, 01:10 PM
Flew the MXS for the first time in about three years with the new setup. It’s going to take some getting used to balsa’s again. I forgot how they slip through the air and carry speed/momentum. I’m going to have to add some weight in back, even with the batt against the wing tube it’s a bit nose heavy. I tried it without the SFG’s but couldn’t do a nice gentle harrier landing, so for now until I get it balanced, trimmed, and get the gyro set. Once I get that sorted I’ll try without the SFG’s again. Plus the soccer fields I fly at already have the goals set up and they’ve added a new sign planted right in the middle of the area I usually land and take off from. So now I have to harrier around the end of the field and land while turning in a little bit tighter area. This won’t be a big deal once I’m comfortable with the plane again but for now I’m being extra cautious.
Mar 09, 2020, 01:16 PM
Where did that tree come from
Quote:
Flew the MXS for the first time in about three years with the new setup. Itís going to take some getting used to balsaís again. I forgot how they slip through the air and carry speed/momentum. Iím going to have to add some weight in back, even with the batt against the wing tube itís a bit nose heavy. I tried it without the SFGís but couldnít do a nice gentle harrier landing, so for now until I get it balanced, trimmed, and get the gyro set. Once I get that sorted Iíll try without the SFGís again. Plus the soccer fields I fly at already have the goals set up and theyíve added a new sign planted right in the middle of the area I usually land and take off from. So now I have to harrier around the end of the field and land while turning in a little bit tighter area. This wonít be a big deal once Iím comfortable with the plane again but for now Iím being extra cautious.
What gyro are you flying with?

Quick Reply