This thread is privately moderated by Three-Wire, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 23, 2012, 04:03 PM
AMA 562227
Thread OP
Build Log

Race #177 - PZ Mustang transforms into the Galloping Ghost

Through I'd consolidate this here, since it's scattered throughout another thread. Put in two more flights on her this morning and am getting more comfortable She's an excellent flyer, but I need to change out the MAS 10x8E prop for an APC to get some better efficiency.

************************************************** **********************************
From 10/18/2011:

Here's my PZ Mustag mod in progress... After the tragedy in Reno this year, I wanted to build a Galloping Ghost in tribute to Jimmy Leward. The aircraft's pedigree was unmatched among air racers, and the modifications made it a beautiful aircraft in my eyes. Follow this link for more details: http://www.leewardairranch.com/racin...ng-ghost-specs

Anyway, I got started cutting on my bare airframe kit tonight. Plans are to fill all panel lines, glass with WBPU and .5oz cloth, and finish with paint and Callie's graphics.

The real ghost before the tragedy.

Taichi does excellent work.

Bare airframe to start with.

Remove & replace.

Guts... Corona since replaced by FAAST gear.

Graphics by Callie.

This is the scale wing clip, according to the PZ panel lines. Looks severe, but the real thing had the shortest wings of any racing Mustang.

Down to about a 29" span, but we'll end up right at 30". Will add balsa tips and scale endplates for the ailerons.
Last edited by Three-Wire; Sep 27, 2012 at 10:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 23, 2012, 04:09 PM
AMA 562227
Thread OP
From 10/31/2011:

Got a little more work done over the weekend.
  • Stripped the paint with mineral spirits (a nasty, time-consuming job)
  • Gelded the 'stang (removed the scoop and doghouse from the fuselage)
  • Filled the cockpit depression in the battery hatch
  • Cleaned up my mistake on the rudder balance horn. I cut the gap between the horn and fin too large, so I used some 1/32" balsa to close the gap.
  • Cut out a temporary canopy/turtledeck piece to help me get the profile right and stuck it in place temporarily. Still need to work on the canopy shape...
  • Worked on the wingtips. The aileron fences will be permanently installed after glassing, but all the parts are made and fitted.

Canopy profile is too tall... Needs work.

Aileron fences made from old WalMart gift card, gun port cutouts filled with scrap foam.

Scoopless! Oh, the humanity...
Sep 23, 2012, 04:13 PM
AMA 562227
Thread OP
From 11/22/2011:

Been working steadily, and have some progress to show for it. Looks like AUW will be in the neighborhood of 35 oz...

I think alot of that came from the glassing and filling. Next time I'd just use spackle to fill the weave, not the baby powder/WBPU slurry I used this time.

Fuselage silver still needs work - looks alot better in the picture than in real life. The last coat of primer didn't lay down too well and I didn't sand it before shooting the silver, so all the silver areas on the fuselage will get sanded and re-sprayed. Ailerons, hatch, and rudder are good. Cowl has a coule of light spots, so I'll spray it again with the fuselage.

Sep 23, 2012, 04:15 PM
AMA 562227
Thread OP
From 12/11/2011:

Had a little more time to work this weekend. Still lots to do but I think it's turning out ok. Now that the cowl is located, I can bring the black stripe forward to the front of the cowl. Then I just have to paint the control horns and aileron servo covers, and then the decals can start going on.

Sep 23, 2012, 04:16 PM
AMA 562227
Thread OP
From 2/11/2012:

Well, had to take some time off for a kitchen renovation and to set up my new basement workshop. Finally got back to work on the Galloping Ghost this week and maidened her tonight. What a rush!

Running the Turningy 35-30 1100kv motor, a Master Airscrew 10x8E prop, and a 30C 2200mah pack, I get over 400W initially, settling to about 365. Even with the porky 35oz AUW from the glassing and filling, the plane will go vertical all day long! The prop pitch is limiting top speed - I'm going to try an APC 9x9 eventually after I get a little more comfortable with the plane.

She needs a HEALTHY hand launch due to all the wing clip, and the very short ailerons are not especially effective at low speed. Once "on step" though she really grooves! I spent most of the flight trying to figure out how slow she'll go so I'd have an idea about landing - not very slow, it turns out. She'll drop a wing if you let her get too slow... Which I did on landing. Hit left wingtip first, then chin scoop and right wingtip. Somehow managed to strip the rudder servo (Turnigy 9g) and scrape some paint off the cowl, no other damage. Minor repairs.

All of this was expected, though. I did get in a few high speed passes that are breathtaking (to me anyway). Next time I get out to fly her, I'll try to get a doppler check of the speed. I'm guessing it's high 80's with lots of potential for more when I'm ready. For now, though, it's time for Callie's graphics!
Sep 23, 2012, 06:12 PM
You can't take the sky from me
Wow, that's impressive. My heart stopped when I saw how much wing you cut off! You could probably even go down to an 8x8 prop, maybe even 4s.
Sep 27, 2012, 10:19 PM
AMA 562227
Thread OP
Thanks!

Since the cowl still needs to come off for a little repaint and the last two decals, I'm going to swap the motor out next week for something a little hotter. I have a Turnigy SK3 3536-1200kv and plan to run an APC 9x9.

That runs right about 550W on the bench and with the increased pitch speed and RPM should suitably terrify me. It'll be at the upper end of the motor's abilities and it's about as hard as I want to push my batteries...

The older 3536C-1100 will go into my next PZ mustang conversion - the Cleveland racer #7, Beguine.

Stay tuned!
Sep 28, 2012, 08:53 AM
You can't take the sky from me
Should be pretty crazy! I had a similar power setup on my Pz Wildcat, g10, 1200kv, around 550 watts. Right around 80 mph on a full throttle. And that was with the big cowl, and a pz t-28 prop. This mustang should scream. It's on my bucket list to break 100mph with a pz mustang, probably order the airframe sometime this winter and get it ready for the spring.
Sep 30, 2012, 07:39 PM
Very cool. Ive been converting an old GWS Mustang into the Beguine for about 5 years now. I know its in the basement somewhere...
Oct 02, 2012, 11:56 AM
Anderson River Park Flyers
This is awesome! I have been doing this exact same thing. I didn't glass mine or fill the panel lines, though. (to save weight) I also installed retractable mains and tailwheel. Here's some older pictures. It's done now, just waiting on decals. Not flown yet...

Oct 02, 2012, 06:24 PM
AMA 562227
Thread OP
Dan, that looks awsome! Callie's graphics will really complete the package. Where did you find the clear canopy?? Nice job on the helmet, too!

Got to go test out the 9x9 on the 1200kv Turnigy SK3 tonight. Noticable increase in speed, but less thrust makes the hand launches a bit spooky. Put it next to someone's stock Gunfighter for a photo-op.
Oct 02, 2012, 07:52 PM
Yes, the graphics by callie are in the works. The canopy is a 7" sig canopy cut to fit. It's not exactly the right shape but it's pretty close. It needed to be a little longer towards the nose and slightly narrower... and a little shorter too.
Oct 16, 2012, 10:45 PM
Here is my Galloping Ghost all finished. Thanks to Callie for the awesome graphics. Yes, the tail wheel is retractable.

[IMG]

[/IMG]

Oct 17, 2012, 10:12 PM
AMA 562227
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wait Jr.
Here is my Galloping Ghost all finished. Thanks to Callie for the awesome graphics. Yes, the tail wheel is retractable.

Dan, that looks amazing! Great work, hope she flies well for you. I really like how you got the different types of silver for the different panels on the fuselage. That's one of the subtle things that really makes your model stand out.

Is that a GWS Mustang prop & spinner? Looks really good on the ground! How's it perform in the air?
Oct 17, 2012, 11:18 PM
It's a modified parkzone spinner with a GWS 10x8x4. It haven't flown it yet, but I have flown the motor/prop set up on a t-28 and it worked fine. It's not very fast or anything... The shiny silver areas are just aluminum tape. Thanks for the complement! Yours looks great, too.

Quick Reply