Thread Tools
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:49 AM
mrmanning is offline
Find More Posts by mrmanning
Registered User
Discussion

High discharge NiMh batteries


Hello,
I need NiMH batteries that can give out about 20A for the take off, once it's in the air the current draw will be lower so I'm not too worried about discharging my batteries too fast.
The batteries need to be 1500mAh-1800mAh as my flights will be pretty short and weight is a big issue.
I was looking for 1500mAh-1800mAh 12C+ batteries but couldn't find anything, best I found was 10C which isn't quite enough.
Could you please recommend of a battery cell that fits the profile? Price isn't an issue.

Thank you.


*Has to be NiMH, no Lipo, school policy.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:59 AM
Endlesslag is offline
Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Fly it like you STOL it!
Endlesslag's Avatar
It might actually be worth looking at Nicads, they can do some pretty high discharge rates (even if they're a little heavier.

Another option is the LiFe/A123 packs. Much safer than LiPo, and outperforms NiXX any day.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:03 PM
flydiver is offline
Find More Posts by flydiver
Registered User
flydiver's Avatar
I assume you found these:
http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/pro...-1500-23A.aspx

Not sure if you can do reliably better with NiMh if you are limited to that. You might contact them directly.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:29 PM
mrmanning is offline
Find More Posts by mrmanning
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
It might actually be worth looking at Nicads, they can do some pretty high discharge rates (even if they're a little heavier.

Another option is the LiFe/A123 packs. Much safer than LiPo, and outperforms NiXX any day.
I tried looking for NiCd but couldn't find anything that output more than 5-10A, those with 15A+ weight 40-50 grams which is too heavy(I could take 2000mAh+ NiMH cells), do you know of a specific brand/model with those specifications perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydiver View Post
I assume you found these:
http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/pro...-1500-23A.aspx

Not sure if you can do reliably better with NiMh if you are limited to that. You might contact them directly.
Yup, at the moment those are my preferred option still hoping to get more juice
I'll try contacting them, thank you.
Last edited by mrmanning; Sep 23, 2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:57 PM
jswain is offline
Find More Posts by jswain
Gasbags & Gussets
jswain's Avatar

parallel packs ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmanning View Post
Hello,
I need NiMH batteries that can give out about 20A for the take off, once it's in the air the current draw will be lower so I'm not too worried about discharging my batteries too fast.
The batteries need to be 1500mAh-1800mAh as my flights will be pretty short and weight is a big issue.
I was looking for 1500mAh-1800mAh 12C+ batteries but couldn't find anything, best I found was 10C which isn't quite enough.
Could you please recommend of a battery cell that fits the profile? Price isn't an issue.Thank you.
*Has to be NiMH, no Lipo, school policy.
restrictions are a fact of design and project specifications whether in school or in business, thats why they hire us to fix these issues

perhaps you could get two smaller battery packs(for the weight restriction) @ say 10amp and wire them in parallel for a 20amp potential draw rate?

http://www.zbattery.com/Connecting-B...es-or-Parallel

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...configurations
Last edited by jswain; Sep 23, 2012 at 02:04 PM.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Futaba CDR-5000 CDR-5000 High Performance Battery Charger/Discharger RSTEARMAN Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 2 Sep 19, 2012 05:09 PM
Sold deleted RSTEARMAN Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 1 Sep 17, 2012 09:22 PM
For Sale Deans Battery Discharger and Trinity Battery Conditioner / Discharger $13 Cabledawg1 Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 1 May 18, 2012 01:28 PM
Any new NiMH high capacity/high discharge cells on the horizon? tic Batteries and Chargers 11 Dec 17, 2005 10:25 PM
High Discharge rate on NIMH Batteries JohnC Batteries and Chargers 9 Jan 18, 2003 10:58 AM