Sep 22, 2012, 04:32 PM
LcJ
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Thread OP
Discussion

Hate Buying Computers, But When One Dies And You Didn't Like It Anyway

Had an Asus Eee Pc notebook and never really like it. Service contract ran out 6 month ago and this week, it up and died. Might could have fixed it, but it was just a pain is the ass. So I started looking for the perfect UltraBook. Liked em all but I really wanted 13" and backlit keyboard. Started reading reviews and looked at a lot of them. Wrote down the model numbers and checked some more.

Walked into Walmart to pick up some new q-tips made especially for use with makeup for the Mrs. so I went by the laptops. All I saw looked like crap so I started off to check something else and they had more on the other side of the counter. Saw and HP 13 1029wm. Looked really nice and was an i-3 with 4 gig of ram and a 128 ssd and it was only $498. Thought to my self this can't be good. So went home and started reading up on it. They said it was heavy at 3.3 for an UltraBook but the rest was solid. Not the fastest but the article said it was great for bugging folks on RCGroups. I thought that article must have been written by engine torque so I went to another article and it said basically the same thing and that it cost $800 and was a bargain. Well all of the articles said is was good. So I bought it. Talk about a difference. I can see the whole screen without having the print so small I can't see it.

Anyway if anybody else is looking this little sucker is worth considering unless you need blazing speed. But this one ain't bad. Has everything I need and I bought an external HP DVD for another $49.

The only bad part is that it doesn't help my spelling or grammar, but for the money it was great. Also can get windows 8 when it comes out for $14.99 (why didn't they just say $14).

The best part is the backlit keyboard for this price. Most of the others with that are around a grand. Hope it was worth you time to read this.
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Sep 22, 2012, 04:44 PM
Really?
The dirty little secret about cheap computers is...they're CHEAP. Enterprise grade stuff might be a different story, but consumer stuff is built to a price point.
Sep 22, 2012, 05:15 PM
D W
D W
I love you man.
Since I got my beloved iPad 2 I barely use a real computer anymore.
Sep 22, 2012, 05:18 PM
LcJ
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by D W
My wife has one of those and I just cannot get used to it. Oldfartitis has settled in.
Sep 22, 2012, 05:20 PM
For your own good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ
My wife has one of those and I just cannot get used to it. Oldfartitis has settled in.
+1
Sep 22, 2012, 06:00 PM
Earth girls are easy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D W
Get a magnifier on a swing arm and maybe it can do CAD/CAM?
Latest blog entry: Jonesy's mausoleum
Sep 22, 2012, 06:05 PM
Earth girls are easy!
New computer time is always lousy... you look at machine is a price range and it's all apples and oranges, this one has that but not this, and that one has this but not that...

Eventually you settle on one and do some additions so you can live with it.

Been there, done that... A few times.

It's always like a blind date that goes bad and then it works out.(Somewhat.)
Sep 22, 2012, 06:08 PM
D W
D W
I love you man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks
Get a magnifier on a swing arm and maybe it can do CAD/CAM?
They have an app for that...
Sep 22, 2012, 06:14 PM
Earth girls are easy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D W
They have an app for that...
I'll need the Hubble to see it!
Sep 22, 2012, 06:47 PM
supreme being of leisure
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks
New computer time is always lousy... you look at machine is a price range and it's all apples and oranges, this one has that but not this, and that one has this but not that...

Eventually you settle on one and do some additions so you can live with it.

Been there, done that... A few times.

It's always like a blind date that goes bad and then it works out.(Somewhat.)
and that's the problem with consumer grade crap: there's always something crappier and cheaper to divert your attention.

years ago i came up with a very simple rule to make buying laptops easy and painless with no regrets: i buy only thinkpads. when family/friends ask me what they should get they get the same answer: thinkpad
Sep 22, 2012, 06:56 PM
Random Pic #23982
I use a netbook all the time. My next one will be this...

http://www.maingear.com/custom/compu...tebooks/11.php

But speced out a bit more. I am only interested in a nice, well made crap free ultrabook.
Sep 22, 2012, 07:07 PM
LcJ
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Geoff
I use a netbook all the time. My next one will be this...

http://www.maingear.com/custom/compu...tebooks/11.php

But speced out a bit more. I am only interested in a nice, well made crap free ultrabook.
Very nice and if you do any gaming it should blow and go.
Sep 22, 2012, 07:34 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAGNUT
and that's the problem with consumer grade crap: there's always something crappier and cheaper to divert your attention.

years ago i came up with a very simple rule to make buying laptops easy and painless with no regrets: i buy only thinkpads. when family/friends ask me what they should get they get the same answer: thinkpad
My 14" Thinkpad T40 that I used for about 8 years started to die a couple months ago. I got some miles out of that one (a lot of those miles strapped to the back of my motorcycle ). The keys were so worn that they were all shiney and dished out.

So I picked up a nearly identical Thinkpad T42 for $200 on ebay. It's one of the last real IBM made models. Factory refurb that looks like it had never been used. It only had a 40G drive (so did my old one), so I popped in a new 500G hard disk for $80, and copied everything over from the old machine. Feels just like home. I did put Windows 7 pro on it, but I don't like it. Might go back to XP.

These thinkpads are built like tanks. The cast magnesium top LCD case is very strong and stiff. Can't bend it. Most of the new laptops have flimsy, bendy plastic cases that feel like the LCD is going to break.
All our software development workstations at work are Thinkpads even. Think the "Volvo" of laptops. Solid.
Sep 22, 2012, 08:34 PM
LcJ
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Thread OP
Another advantage of my crappy cheap ultrabook is that almost every review noted how sturdy it was. All of the extra weight was in the outside. What I like most is when I close the lid power stops. When I open the lid it takes all of 3 seconds for the wireless connection and you are ready to go.

But for an inexpensive computer to have backlit keyes was the real attraction for me.
Sep 22, 2012, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the Fish!
Should have called, I just gave away a few dell latitudes 32bit and upgraded to 64bit

Quick Reply