Sep 22, 2012, 04:07 AM
jofro
Thread OP
Discussion

N-TECH JETS "BAE HAWK" 11 modifications

Always on the look out for some good value EDF jet, recently found out about this new BAE HAWK just a perfect adition to my fleet. I was more then pleased with the performance of 70mm and two 90mm foamies I have been flying over the years so 127mm EDF version is a great new contender. This ARF kit is specially designed to take 127mm RAMTEC, either '91 IC DF or E-power. Optional comes set of very robust metal trial link landing gear I ordered with the kit. After thorough check of all parts I have decided to do some modifications to this kit finding some areas totally inadequate for model of this size and all up weight. Bellow is the list of my main mods, Joe.
Last edited by jofro; Apr 29, 2013 at 03:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2012, 04:18 AM
jofro
Thread OP
180x205cm (72x80") overall size, 127mm Ramtec/650kv/180aESC/12S power system. 12kg AUW inc.3kg in 12S/8000/40c/5cell 3300NMHi. J.
Sep 23, 2012, 12:45 AM
jofro
Thread OP
This model came with no parts list or instr. manual, pretty strait forward build but I'm still puzzled what are these two parts, any idea, could it be some sort of Rudd. sub/stab? Joe.
Sep 23, 2012, 06:03 AM
Very nice how much kit jofro ? thanks Neil
Sep 23, 2012, 03:11 PM
Classic jets rule
the real hawks have some fins in the back ...but maybe they were supose to put mono coat over them nice mod ...keep us posted
Sep 23, 2012, 04:46 PM
jofro
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker27
Very nice how much kit jofro ? thanks Neil
Hi Neil, great value at 685 for kit if this size, I believe there is distr. in US, J.
Thanks Rodger, left of the pic are the bottom fuse subwings like on "Falcons" which I won't attach, grounding them off on every take off and landing and still might fit small supplied fins to the wings, Regards J.
Apr 27, 2013, 05:57 PM
jofro
Thread OP
After my horrifying experience on Fri. flying my "Hawk" possibly due to dropped voltage in few cells I decided to mod my wing tips to improve the breed. J.
Apr 27, 2013, 06:13 PM
Insta: Check5_Av8r
That's.... a unique approach to solve an inherent tendency.

Without knowing exactly what spooked you, I can assume you got "bit" by a tip-stall scenario with your Hawk? I ask because there's more effective ways to help overcome that without even changing the tip shape... unless that piece is already glued on.
Apr 27, 2013, 11:28 PM

Tip Stall

Crow, it's what I use on my Hawk. Works great! Again without modification. But you May be looking for more lift. The N tech is pretty big, especially the fuse.
Latest blog entry: The "Six" Delta Dart
Apr 28, 2013, 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffassbinder
Crow, it's what I use on my Hawk. Works great! Again without modification.
Or some simple reflex. Both work awesome!
But I do like using crow on short field approaches.
Apr 28, 2013, 03:09 AM
jofro
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMigKiller
That's.... a unique approach to solve an inherent tendency.

Without knowing exactly what spooked you, I can assume you got "bit" by a tip-stall scenario with your Hawk? I ask because there's more effective ways to help overcome that without even changing the tip shape... unless that piece is already glued on.
After static test today using the same batteries I got only 5.5kg but 7.8 with other pack I used in F9. Some serious drop in voltage due to few sussy cells in two packs out of 4 didn't help. Mate, I did a good kilometer radius circuit to bring it down in one piece! Any 12+kg EDF jet will have a tendency of t/stall at only some 60% of normal power after rotation, J.
Apr 28, 2013, 03:29 AM
jofro
Thread OP
Quote:
Or some simple reflex. Both work awesome!
But I do like using crow on short field approaches.
Guys, I can assure you there's nothing to beat my good old trick to make overweight EDFs fly better. It looks better and flies superiour with simple mod like this. 80 inch span now. Forget about crowing and reflex, get it inverted and and you know what I mean, J.
Apr 28, 2013, 12:18 PM
Don't get me wrong, not knocking on your ability or ingenuity... I'm all for creative solutions.

I was just curious on the Hawk, an airframe that many of us are pretty well versed in, what your approach was with your wingtip mod.

Glad you got it back down in one piece after that power problem on takeoff!
Apr 28, 2013, 05:46 PM
jofro
Thread OP
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, not knocking on your ability or ingenuity... I'm all for creative solutions.

I was just curious on the Hawk, an airframe that many of us are pretty well versed in, what your approach was with your wingtip mod.

Glad you got it back down in one piece after that power problem on takeoff!
Hi mate, if you check out the wing size of any "Reaction" or Boomerang" series jets you get the idea why they are so popular, J.
Apr 28, 2013, 05:57 PM
The best in EDF since 2005
Where are the wing fences????

Jo if you slow a swept wing down too much you will end up with the flow separating and running down the leading edge, the air picks up speed as it runs down the LE and no longer flows over the wing providing lift. Having the wingtips behind the CoG exacerbates things and induces a very nasty fast stall.

Rather than adding ugly wingtips to what is a beautiful plane, why not remedy the problem the same way BAE did by adding the easy stuff, 2 large wing fences and some vortex generators.

Some reading:
http://navyflightmanuals.tpub.com/P-1231/P-12310054.htm
http://navyflightmanuals.tpub.com/P-1231/P-12310056.htm
http://navyflightmanuals.tpub.com/P-1231/P-12310048.htm
Latest blog entry: Extreme RC AUSTRALIA

Quick Reply