Sep 24, 2012, 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli-yeah
Perhaps...

I have never had trouble with descending straight down, but my mQX has always had a little washout tendency in high speed climbing , and descending turns, that required me to ease off, and recover. I have yet to experience it with these props.
Sweet. Maybe these will cure washout for fast descent on the V929 too.

EDIT - Just ordered two complete sets. I'll report back for the V929 crowd. Thanks for the great find!
Last edited by CatMang; Sep 24, 2012 at 11:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 01, 2012, 02:47 PM
12 more days until mine get here

Hey OP - any chance we can get a thrust comparison with stockers?
Oct 23, 2012, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symantics
Any chance of some flight footage?
Sure, here's some.

The stock props will carry an 808 #3 cam without issues, but tend to be boggy / wobbly carrying the extra three grams on the 808 #16 (HD). The GWS rotors provide increased lift, thereby providing a more stable platform carrying an 808 #16 camera. This video was taken onboard an MQX with the new GWS rotors and carrying an 808 #16 cam.

Note that every one of these new rotors I've received has been seriously unbalanced, providing nasty vibes ootb. The good news is that the blades are easy to re-balance using scotch tape.

I've selected this clip to show both good stable control at altitude, and also to show maximum instability while in controlled flight (discussed earlier in this thread), namely, straight descent on low throttle -- you'll see this here from the 28 second point.

Rotor Mod MQX (0 min 50 sec)
Oct 24, 2012, 01:00 AM
Those look great. How do you balance them? I know it can be done with tape and clear nail polish but how do you know where to put it?
Oct 24, 2012, 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by variantman
Those look great. How do you balance them? I know it can be done with tape and clear nail polish but how do you know where to put it?
Here's how I did it. First I pulled off the gears, then turned the MQX on its side (CF shafts horizontal). Then raise each rotor to around 11:00 o'clock and watch. If the bearings are good, then the heavier side of the rotor will fall towards the bottom. Then I wrapped scotch tape around the rotor, just picking a spot around 3/4 of the way towards the tip where it would wrap neatly. If the first bit wasn't enough, then I added a bit more, until the rotors became balanced.

If they aren't balanced, you'll notice it by the stock canopy buzzing really hard, and onboard video will be unwatchable.

It's not difficult to balance the rotors: it took me about 20 minutes, and I was taking my time.
Oct 26, 2012, 09:35 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin

Medium luck

I bought 4 white & 4 orange GWS mQx props from Goodluckbuy at the start of the month and they came in today.
The 4 white props ended-up as 4 gray props. Not ideal, but okay.
The 4 orange props are all EP5443R (no EP5443), so I only have orange props that turn in 1 direction. Not okay.

I will see what emailing them will result in.

LATER: Dec 4: It took several emails, including one to what turns out to be a dead email account, plus some emailed pictures,
but the missing props arrived today.

I put on 4 GWS props: 3 seemed balanced, one needed balancing with tape.
So far flown indoors: compared to stock, more altitude drift and more 'cyclic' drift and response (I needed to lower rates and add expo).

In some not too careful testing, current draw seems similar to stock:
WOT stock test in June (~65 degrees F) with a near full Hyperion 1s550mAh: 3.1A peak, 11W peak.
Similar WOT GWS test in Dec (~45 degrees F, motors now a little older and 1 replaced): 2.9A peak, 10W peak.
Last edited by flying-llama; Dec 09, 2012 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Dec. 4: replacement props appear
Oct 27, 2012, 08:31 AM
Flying Monkey
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama
I bought 4 white & 4 orange GWS mQx props from Goodluckbuy at the start of the month and they came in today.
The 4 orange props are all EP5443R (no EP5443), so I only have orange props that turn in 1 direction. Not okay.

I have heard that Skype is the only way that GLB ("Goodluckrefund") has responded to customers in the past!

I have just received the second batch of these props I've ordered from them, with similar results. The order was for Orange, and White props, but I received Orange, and Black, and out of those, almost all of the bearing spacer collars had been damaged during shipping. They always seem to shove as much stuff in the tiniest box they can find.

I'm starting to have my doubts that the White props even exist at this point.... When I talked to the GWS/US rep. he said he didn't think he would be getting any of the White props, and his tone suggested that he wasn't even aware of such a product. Additionally I have never seen color blends by GWS props other than Black, Grey, and Orange, so White would be a new, and exclusive color for these props (correct me if I'm wrong). Another notable fact is that GLB has had many products with incorrect, or absent product descriptions.

This is not the first time I have been disappointed with a shipment from them, but with the money I have saved over the span of all of my purchases, my lesson not to deal with them is still not paid-in-full, so I can still afford to gamble on them a little more in the future (some guys just never learn huh? )
Oct 27, 2012, 06:07 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Quote:
At this point, I am looking to get 2 orange EP5443 props from somebody who has 1 or 2 to spare.
I can either pay for them, or trade with 2 new-in-the-bag orange EP5443R props.
Mailing would be to eastern U.S.
Oct 29, 2012, 10:55 AM
Ordered on 9-25 and still haven't received them. Asking for a refund. What a waste of time.
Oct 29, 2012, 11:20 PM
I ordered mine back on October 8th -- They arrived today.
Dec 09, 2012, 03:04 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Quote:

Originally ordered Oct. 1 and arrived Oct. 26 (missing some orange props)..
It took several emails, including one to what turns out to be a dead email account, plus some emailed pictures,
but the missing props arrived on Dec. 04.

I put on 4 GWS props: 3 seemed balanced, one needed balancing with tape.
So far flown indoors: compared to stock, more altitude drift and more 'cyclic' drift and response (I needed to lower rates and add expo).

In some not too careful testing, current draw seems similar to stock:
WOT stock test in June (~65 degrees F) with a near full Hyperion 1s550mAh: 3.1A peak, 11W peak.
Similar WOT GWS test in Dec (~45 degrees F, motors now a little older and 1 replaced): 2.9A peak, 10W peak.
Dec 16, 2012, 01:30 PM
Does anyone have any of these they can sell or know where to get them in the US? The only thing I have found is from China unless I missed something in this thread. I'd really like to try these out, they look great. Thanks for the help in advance. Happy flying.
Dec 16, 2012, 01:41 PM
edan978, post in this thread and ask them to carry the GWS props.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1761245

They have talked about carrying them. If they have enough demand they will, I hope.
Dec 17, 2012, 01:26 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Quote:
Originally Posted by edan978
Does anyone have any of these they can sell or know where to get them in the US? The only thing I have found is from China unless I missed something in this thread. I'd really like to try these out, they look great. Thanks for the help in advance. Happy flying.
Somebody was selling some, not sure if they still have any:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1784743
Dec 17, 2012, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

Quick Reply